• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the one comic that turned your collection around?

66 posts in this topic

I recently got two books that have changed my thoughts about what I am going to collect. I was curious if anyone else has a similar experience. I am home sick today, bored and I love reading stories about other collections so share.

Here's my rant:

The first book is a World Finest 258 Dollar issue format comic. I purchased it just because I liked the seller's previous sales threads and I wanted to participate in his current sales thread. I have all the Detective and Batman family dollar comics and liked the format, so I was not a major decision to get it. After reading WF, I have decided to start collecting all DC dollar comics.

The second book, which I just go in today, is Batman 181. It's the first appearance of Poison Ivy. I started this year to collect as many PI appearances as I could get my hands on. I never thought that I would be able to find her first appearance in a condition that I could afford. Thank you, TheAvenger80 for the sweet book. (Thanks to another board member, agoodventure, for answering my WTB post on her appearance in WW trades). There are a few other characters that I am trying to collect all their appearances as well. This gives me hopes that I will be able find other older books. Now I should add a signature to my profile.

Daredevil #158.

I discovered a G/VG copy at a school flea market in 1990 for 25 cents.

Up to that point, I owned about 30 comics, none of which were "worth more" than cover price, even in "mint" condition.

But this one...well...this one was what started the obsession with finding comics that were actually "worth something."

I've always been easily distracted with my collection. I've got a little bit of everything, so I don't think a single book "turned it around."

I was getting bored with the hobby until I came to these boards. Between some sweet deals and being thrown to the CGC SS wolves (you know I'm talking about you, Jon!) I'm more excited and interested than I have been in years.

I don't recall my first CGC SS book, but it certainly influenced what I collect now!

Strawberry Shortcake 1, Star Comics.

Kidding around. One of our fellow forum members has a set of Strawberry Shortcake CGC's for sale, which oddly enough will probably cost a mint one day for Marvel completest when they are done with all the regular big titles.

Honestly, it would be the "V For Vendetta" entire set. Before that, I was buying every comic in a Batman, Spider-Man, and X-Men run just to have the entire series, whether the story was good or not.

Then I realized why not stick to incredible story arcs that have a powerful statement to make or some major change in how a character would usually act (e.g. Spider-Man Kraven Hunt cross-over series, Batman: Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year I, Batman Year II (Batman carrying firearms?!), X-Men Phoenix Saga, etc.).

Great question NOCUTENAME.

Umm.... IDK

Maybe when Ciorac sold me my first few All-Flash books I decided to start picking up GA books.

When I started here and learned that many of my books needed upgrading.

And my OBSESSION with the JOKER. Which is the foundation for my love of Batman so Batman 251 is one of my all-time favorite books.

Strawberry Shortcake 1, Star Comics.

Kidding around. One of our fellow forum members has a set of Strawberry Shortcake CGC's for sale, which oddly enough will probably cost a mint one day for Marvel completest when they are done with all the regular big titles.

Honestly, it would be the "V For Vendetta" entire set. Before that, I was buying every comic in a Batman, Spider-Man, and X-Men run just to have the entire series, whether the story was good or not.

Then I realized why not stick to incredible story arcs that have a powerful statement to make or some major change in how a character would usually act (e.g. Spider-Man Kraven Hunt cross-over series, Batman: Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year I, Batman Year II (Batman carrying firearms?!), X-Men Phoenix Saga, etc.).

Great question NOCUTENAME.

I am going to have to do a search to see the covers. This year I stopped doing the completist thing and started focusing on some individual characters. Does that still make me a completist? Too confusing, too much thought. Oh well, I guess what I am saying is that I am no longer getting every single issue of a series. I now have gaps through out my collection which would have bothered me before but now it does not.

Umm.... IDK

Maybe when Ciorac sold me my first few All-Flash books I decided to start picking up GA books.

And my OBSESSION with the JOKER. Which is the foundation for my love of Batman so Batman 251 is one of my all-time favorite books.

You had posted a pic of a nice All Flash recently. Most of my books average in the Fine range and I am perfectly OK with that. HG books are beautiful but I feel bad if I ding them up. My cover weakness is Nightwing even though I am obsessed with Batman.

Ever get a copy of Tales of the Teen Titans 44 with the 1st Nightwing? That is a gorgeous black cover, and when I saw two copies in CGC 9.6 for a great price, trust me - they were gone before you could say HOLY TOLEDO BATMAN!

Plus I am a nut over Deathstroke, so with both being on the cover and again a major story arc (Judas Contract), those books had targets all over them.

Umm.... IDK

You had posted a pic of a nice All Flash recently. Most of my books average in the Fine range and I am perfectly OK with that. HG books are beautiful but I feel bad if I ding them up. My cover weakness is Nightwing even though I am obsessed with Batman.

The trick is to handle them. And I buy ALOT of books just for cover art. I think that is my actual fuel for collecting. I read moderns for good stories, and most older stories can be found in essentials or some other reprinted material.

hm

The very first comics I ever personally owned were the Walt Disney Parades from Gladstone. My dad used to take me to a newsstand and pick them up for me every Christmas. These were the first comics I actually got to keep as most of the others in the house were my older brothers' books. At some point, I will probably go back and get copies of these again.

The first Spider-Man book I purchased on my own was Spectacular Spider-Man 171 with a cross-over of Puma. I picked this up with the money I earned from being an altar boy at a wedding one Saturday afternoon. Fortunately, of the many comics I owned as a kid that were tossed into my oldest brother's box, THIS one I still one...the one that essentially began my Spider-Man collection.