• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

St. Barnabas Hospice in NJ - Comic Book Donations (Superheroes for Hospice)

3 posts in this topic

I recently made a donation of comic books to St. Barnabas Hospice in New Jersey and thought to spread the information of their program to these forums.

St. Barnabas Hospice and Palliative Care Center is an organization that provides care for individuals in their final stages of life. They are funded primarily through insurance reimbursement and financial support from the community (gifts, donations, fund-raising events, etc). The idea behind this program is so that SBHCS will bring the donated books to conventions and sell them to raise funds for their programs which I understand is very different from other organizations that take comic book donations to dole them out to read.

The gentleman running this program goes by Spiro Ballas and can be contacted at 973 322 4866 or sballas@sbhcs.com for more information.

For those of you looking for a tax benefit to this, it should be tax deductible and they provide a receipt. They'll provide a fully itemized accounting of donated comic books (including the title, issue and grading) so you should be able to claim for the full Overstreet value of the books. I am not a tax expert by any means so you should check with a tax professional to verify my statements. I checked on the irs.gov website and it states that they are indeed a 501©3 and that they are a "public charity with a 50% deductibility limitation."

I am not affiliated with this program or the hospice in any way. I only made a donation.

I recently made a donation of comic books to St. Barnabas Hospice in New Jersey and thought to spread the information of their program to these forums.

St. Barnabas Hospice and Palliative Care Center is an organization that provides care for individuals in their final stages of life. They are funded primarily through insurance reimbursement and financial support from the community (gifts, donations, fund-raising events, etc). The idea behind this program is so that SBHCS will bring the donated books to conventions and sell them to raise funds for their programs which I understand is very different from other organizations that take comic book donations to dole them out to read.

The gentleman running this program goes by Spiro Ballas and can be contacted at 973 322 4866 or sballas@sbhcs.com for more information.

For those of you looking for a tax benefit to this, it should be tax deductible and they provide a receipt. They'll provide a fully itemized accounting of donated comic books (including the title, issue and grading) so you should be able to claim for the full Overstreet value of the books. I am not a tax expert by any means so you should check with a tax professional to verify my statements. I checked on the irs.gov website and it states that they are indeed a 501©3 and that they are a "public charity with a 50% deductibility limitation."

I am not affiliated with this program or the hospice in any way. I only made a donation.

This is cool....excellent idea.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u