• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Q: Silver Surfer No. 4....

25 posts in this topic

Is Silver Surfer No. 4 desired by collectors because of the ultra-cool Buscema cover or because of the low-distribution tag?

It seems this book has two things going for it...

To all you SS 4 owners out there..what'd you buy this book for?

I picked up the Silver Surfer books because I thought it was a great series, especially issue #1. Picked up all of the Giant-Size at cover price which I believe was $0.25 per book. Still all in the same condition as when I picked them up off the newsstand. smile.gif

The "rarity" angle means nothing.

Tell that to dealers... foreheadslap.gif

That's why I have to settle for a VF on 4 when I got 9.2 or better on 2,3,5-18. boo.gif

edit: I still need a nice 17. That one is rarer than 4 I think. wink.gif

This issue is actually one of my favorite stories and I'm not a big fan of the Surfer. I came close to buying a CGC 8.5 awhile back but never pulled the triger. I love Loki so that would probably be one of the main reasons I'd pick it up. Cover and Low distribution really were never a factor for my desire of the issue.

I bought my current CGC copy because Fantastic Four #48 to #50 is my favorite storyline of all time, which prompted me to start collecting Silver Surfer. But even before I decided to collect Silver Surfer, I bought another raw copy because the cover looks extremely striking.

The low distribution thing is misleading and should be removed from Overstreet. People think it means "rare"...in the age of Internet and mail order, who cares whether it was originally only distributed to a limited number of retailers? confused-smiley-013.gif There are still a ton of copies out there, it's no more or less rare than any of the other issues in that run. If the Census is any indication, it's far less rare than the other issues, but that's probably because it's been submitted more due to the other factors which make it appealling.

definetely far from scarce but a cool book just because the cover is one of the greatest of the Silver Age the story kicks butt and hey the Silver Surfer series was arguably the zenith for Marvel. PS if you like that one check out Thor 193 which is a double sized squarebound giant as well and has the second meeting between Thor and SS illustrated by John B and is waaaayyyyy harder to get in high grade

Is Silver Surfer No. 4 desired by collectors because of the ultra-cool Buscema cover or because of the low-distribution tag?

It seems this book has two things going for it...

To all you SS 4 owners out there..what'd you buy this book for?

See bold thumbsup2.gif