• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bagley original art... Estimation ?

26 posts in this topic

Wow, that is really strange. Even if he was planning on getting married, I'm with our French & Belgian correspondents on this one...smells awfully fishy to throw that one line in there and then start hyping the piece away like he did. Sounds like someone trying to tug on some heart strings to get someone to pay that exorbitant price (which I doubt even the cover would sell for, maybe ever sell for, let alone that extremely mediocre page). Maybe he needs the money for the wedding, not the funeral arrangements? confused-smiley-013.gif

If the story is true, my condolences to the seller, but I think to combine the "news" of his fiancee's death with the used car salesman talk is in really, really bad taste. If, hypothetically, I had a fiancee who died and I genuinely needed to sell some stuff to pay for funeral arrangements, you can bet that the tone of my eBay listing would be solemn, deferential and accord all the due respect that my dearly departed so very well deserved.

Gene

"which I doubt even the cover would sell for, maybe ever sell for"

Your probably right. No way the original cover for one of the hottest books from the last 10 years, featuring the one of the most popular comic characters ever, would sell for anywhere near 10k. I doubt there will be anyone in the future who will view this as his favorite book of all time and throw down mad money to own it. Spidey is cool, but he's no Snake Eyes. That would put it in the elite GI Joe original art category. The way this guy is running his auction, you would think the page was drawn by Larry Hamma. I hope his skin is not as thin as yours when he finds out your bagging on a prized piece of his collection.

sleeping.gif

Don't you have anything better to do than troll me? confused-smiley-013.gif

Instead of twisting everything I say into an ad hominem attack, why don't you use your feeble mind a little bit first before speaking. USM 1 is a memorable book, but doesn't have a particularly great cover. It may be the first Ultimate Spidey, but there are countless Spidey images which are better. Bagley's covers are just pencilled, not inked, while there are countless inked Spidey pages, splashes and covers by better artists that also will never command that kind of money. It's doubtful, especially after the volume of terrible McFarlane knock-off art Bagley did in the '90s that his work will ever command 5-figures.

Now, I can see that particular cover fetching a few thousand bucks. Maybe, in time, if the perfect storm comes and the stars align themselves just right, it could one day hit $10K. But it doesn't take away from the fact that the particular page up for auction will NEVER hit "multiples" of the $9,999.99 BIN price like the seller claims it will unless the buyer is in some bizarre "Brewster's Millions" scenario where the goal is to waste as much money as possible in the shortest amount of time.

Gene

"Instead of twisting everything I say into an ad hominem attack, why don't you use your feeble mind a little bit first before speaking."

I think it is interesting that you start off your reply by tossing out an insult.... If you have read any of my posts, not once did I attack you with personal insults. Just goes to show the type of person you are.

"USM 1 is a memorable book, but doesn't have a particularly great cover. It may be the first Ultimate Spidey, but there are countless Spidey images which are better. Bagley's covers are just penciled, not inked, while there are countless inked Spidey pages, splashes and covers by better artists that also will never command that kind of money. It's doubtful, especially after the volume of terrible McFarlane knock-off art Bagley did in the '90s that his work will ever command 5-figures."

What makes Ultimate Spidey #1 different from GI Joe #21? It may have the first Snake eyes, but so what? A extremely low tier character from a dead book currently riding a declining wave of nostalgia? I'm sure there are countless GI Joe pages which are superior (I think Russ Heath drew the book at one time), since Hamma is not an very capable artist. Any kid who grew up in the 90's reading Spiderman will remember Bagley's art favorably, much like your feelings about Hammas mediocre art on GI Joe. A buyer would most likely buy this cover, not for the art itself, but for the historic significance said buyer may feel it has. Since you don't have a time machine, how do you know the cover for Ultimate Spidey could not reach 5 figures? If you were to ask anyone who collects art if the interior art for GI Joe #21 would command 5 figures, 95% of them would have laughed at you. The first rule of collecting is it's only worth what one person will pay. For you to pretend you have some kind of clairvoyance regarding the future price of the cover to USM #1 is ludicrous.

"Now, I can see that particular cover fetching a few thousand bucks. Maybe, in time, if the perfect storm comes and the stars align themselves just right, it could one day hit $10K."

Why is it so hard for you to realize that this could happen to the USM #1 cover, since it obviously happened to the GI Joe #21 interiors?

"But it doesn't take away from the fact that the particular page up for auction will NEVER hit "multiples" of the $9,999.99 BIN price like the seller claims it will unless the buyer is in some bizarre "Brewster's Millions" scenario where the goal is to waste as much money as possible in the shortest amount of time."

Duh

There's a possibility that sometime down the road, USM #1 cover may hit 5-figures, but that's a long way off (IMO). As for the page, that's an absolutely ridiculous auction. I don't care if it's the "first page ever" of the USM series. Jim Lee's Batman hasn't hit that mark yet (maybe the covers have?), no way will a Bagley page hit that mark. The page doesn't even have Spidey on it. The first "Spidey" page is the "big dollar" (and nowhere near 10K) page. I would pay more for Jens page than that one.

Now, my thoughts on the Joe art.....Tom, whether you like it or not, GI Joe #21 is a Modern KEY. It's the most sought-after of all the Joe issues and, again, whether you like it or not there are alot of Joe collectors out there. True, Hama isn't one of the top artists, but that's not what's important about this particular book.

One thing that we all can seem to agree on is the original art market isn't the same game as comic collecting. What Gene bought was a legitimate piece of comic history. The fact that he was able to acquire the complete interior is amazing. I don't know if you are a collector of original art or not, but to get an entire interior to a popular book like this one is near impossible.

As many people know, I collect 100 Bullets artwork. To purchase a complete interior will run anywhere from roughly 3K to 5K (depending on the issue), and this is a new series! It should be no surprise that the Joe #21 artwork commanded more than 10K.

Just because you don't think it's important, doesn't mean that everybodys does.

Chris