• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Over 300 unchecked Ewert books in the Registry!

130 posts in this topic

This information was posted in the NOD thread several times over the last few days, but since many people probably don't read that thread, I am reposting it here. This is information that needs to be dissiminated. Several years after the scandal broke, there are still many books originally submitted by Ewert that have not been rechecked for trimming and are still circulating. Over 300 are sitting in registry sets right now, probably without any knowledge by their owners that they were Ewert books. For more info:

EWERT MARKET ALERT THREAD

This information was posted in the NOD thread several times over the last few days, but since many people probably don't read that thread, I am reposting it here. This is information that needs to be dissiminated. Several years after the scandal broke, there are still many books originally submitted by Ewert that have not been rechecked for trimming and are still circulating. Over 300 are sitting in registry sets right now, probably without any knowledge by their owners that they were Ewert books. For more info:

It's definitely worth checking into this. I was very careful to get any Ewert books checked out at the time the scandal broke. But since then, I've bought a book from another collector and I had no idea that the book had been submitted by Ewert in the suspect time period. That book will go back to CGC for a re-check.

See this link for a list of suspect books:

The List

Who is selling these books ?

These books? Or Ewert books generally?

Without suggesting that the site owners have any awareness of their 'origins', Ewert books have recently/are currently being sold through CLink, Pedigree, Heritage and Matt Nelson's site...amongst others. :eek:

I think it is important to note that most of these books are probably not trimmed; however, until they have been resubmitted to CGC to be checked they have to be viewed with suspicion. They really need to be resubmitted.

It would be helpful if CGC could confirm whether or not they are still doing free trimming checks for Ewert books. I assume that they are? And is Tom Brulato still offering to reimburse owners of trimmed Ewert books?

It would be helpful if CGC could confirm whether or not they are still doing free trimming checks for Ewert books. I assume that they are? And is Tom Brulato still offering to reimburse owners of trimmed Ewert books?

(thumbs u

And just in case it was missed...

It's definitely worth checking into this. I was very careful to get any Ewert books checked out at the time the scandal broke. But since then, I've bought a book from another collector and I had no idea that the book had been submitted by Ewert in the suspect time period. That book will go back to CGC for a re-check.

The List

GT, this was the original list, a lot of these books have been through the process of rechecking by CGC.

Is there an updated list, rather than tarring every book on the list (shrug)

There was several boardies involved in keeping track of the resubs.

Thanks for posting this. As a relative newbie, I had not previously seen this list.

I just checked and sure enough I have one on the list, a SA Wonder Woman in 9.8.

Since WW is my grail I am very upset but hopeful things will turn out okay.

I remember buying raw items from Brulato and Ewert. In particular two low numbered Spidey's(9 and 11), both of which turned out to have CT. Just curious,

did Brulato assume any responsibility for any of this ?

Without suggesting that the site owners have any awareness of their 'origins', Ewert books have recently/are currently being sold through CLink, Pedigree, Heritage and Matt Nelson's site...amongst others. :eek:

There even collectors on these boards who have knowingly sold Ewert books after the story came to light. I've bought two of them. The sellers couldn't be bothered to send the books to CGC for a re-check. But dumping them onto another collector was no problem.

There even collectors on these boards who have knowingly sold Ewert books after the story came to light. I've bought two of them. The sellers couldn't be bothered to send the books to CGC for a re-check. But dumping them onto another collector was no problem.

Thats a very big ouch, who were the sellers (shrug)

It's also very important to know whether the checked books will be re-serialized. Otherwise, they will still hold the stigma of the Ewert books.

So, if I have one of these books, submit it for the check - will it now show up as one of my submissions and not an Ewert book? How will subsequent buyers know the book has been "cleared"?

The List

GT, this was the original list, a lot of these books have been through the process of rechecking by CGC.

I believe if the book was re-checked by CGC, it was given a new cert number. So the list is still useful.

The List

I believe if the book was re-checked by CGC, it was given a new cert number. So the list is still useful.

I'm afraid that wasn't the case. In most instances, the books were not removed from their existing cases by CGC, and simply the cost of mailing back was covered by CGC. And no new serial numbers.

It would stand to reason that CGC can verify what books have been sent back, as a lot of collectors would have a vested interest in this, and would not like to have to do the process again because CGC have no records on this matter.

The List

I'm afraid that wasn't the case. In most instances, the books were not removed from their existing cases by CGC, and simply the cost of mailing back was covered by CGC. And no new serial numbers.

It would stand to reason that CGC can verify what books have been sent back, as a lot of collectors would have a vested interest in this, and would not like to have to do the process again because CGC have no records on this matter.

So how do they effect a thorough resto check? :o

The List

this is not my experience at all, the three books i sent in were returned w/ new cases and new serial numbers. how would they have ascertained if the books had been trimmed w/o opening the case?