• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Over 300 unchecked Ewert books in the Registry!

130 posts in this topic

Five of the six books were not even submitted by Ewert and had no Ewert fingerprints on them...this was according to CGC. Explain that?

They were either...

(a) sold by Ewert at some point

(b) their serial numbers were sequential with books that Ewert did submit

Hey, if you wish to live your comic collecting existence with your head firmly up your arse, be my guest. (thumbs u

However, in the absence of any formal assistance with tracking these books, us little guys are going to do the best we can with information cobbled together through sheer graft. It's not ideal...ideal would be pro-active assistance from the people who dropped the ball in the first place...but it's the best we got.

Your gratitude for the efforts made is much appreciated. meh

Thanks Ghost-

I guess my only comment would be this: If you are going to take the 5-15 minutes required to copy a scan, paste it here and then cite chapter and verse on the possibility that it is a Ewertt book, when it may well not be. If somebody is that concerned, why not take 5 minutes to call CGC with the serial numbers and ask them if it was submitted by Ewertt BEFORE you drag it through the mud on the boards. I owned six of the ASM books noted here earlier. Five of the six were sent to CGC and found to have nothing to do with Ewertt in any way shape or form. The last was submitted by Ewertt on behalf of somebody and was not trimmed.

It's only anecdotal evidence, but the methodology that turned up these books seems to be defective, to say the least.

If the above is done, ONLY books that are extremely likely to be trim candidates will end up in front of the comic book cimmunity. Most of us that wer concerned about this submitted suspicious books years ago.

How does CGC know which books were submitted on behalf of somebody else?

There is nothing on a CGC submission form to indicate this is there?

Thanks Ghost-

I guess my only comment would be this: If you are going to take the 5-15 minutes required to copy a scan, paste it here and then cite chapter and verse on the possibility that it is a Ewertt book, when it may well not be. If somebody is that concerned, why not take 5 minutes to call CGC with the serial numbers and ask them if it was submitted by Ewertt BEFORE you drag it through the mud on the boards. I owned six of the ASM books noted here earlier. Five of the six were sent to CGC and found to have nothing to do with Ewertt in any way shape or form. The last was submitted by Ewertt on behalf of somebody and was not trimmed.

It's only anecdotal evidence, but the methodology that turned up these books seems to be defective, to say the least.

If the above is done, ONLY books that are extremely likely to be trim candidates will end up in front of the comic book cimmunity. Most of us that wer concerned about this submitted suspicious books years ago.

Probably not, but then we're trapped between a rock, and a hard place. Either be in dark as to any possible connection to Ewart, or take it on board that his involvement in the submission of a book, COULD mean there's a possiblility the book was tampered with.

Nick, has the right of it. Provide the list in it's all extensiveness (kudos GT), and due to CGC not highlighting the 'trimming period' those encountering one of these books will simply need to call CGC for details.

All we need to remember is the first and last number's of the sequential list. Not that difficult really.

Thanks Ghost-

Probably not, but then we're trapped between a rock, and a hard place. Either be in dark as to any possible connection to Ewart, or take it on board that his involvement in the submission of a book, COULD mean there's a possiblility the book was tampered with.

Nick, has the right of it. Provide the list in it's all extensiveness (kudos GT), and due to CGC not highlighting the 'trimming period' those encountering one of these books will simply need to call CGC for details.

All we need to remember is the first and last number's of the sequential list. Not that difficult really.

I think it would be difficult from a legal point of view to release the list as just having an id number on the list can taint a book that has nothing done to it. The holder could then have a claim against CGC for the damage to its value that has been incurred.

The "best" solution would be for CGC to approach all holders of comics on the real and public lists, check the books and then give them non-Ewert tainted CGC holder ids.

The fact that comics are not easily trackable unless displayed on forums, or listed for sale on a site or held in the registry makes it diifficult to get an all encompassing solution.

My story continued:

A member of NOD searched my registry and sent me this list.

This might be more helpful. I got it from someone at NOD. They searched my registry.

• Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen 136 CGC 9.8 0098407013 9/16/04

• All Star Western 4 CGC 9.6 0098451009 2/28/05

• All Star Western 5 CGC 9.8 0098451010 2/28/05

• Brave and the Bold 80 CGC 9.6 0626903015 1/7/2005

These two were graded just before CGC decided that Ewert was trimming. Suspects?

• Superboy 166 CGC 9.6 0080561020 7/9/04

• Phantom Stranger 18 CGC 9.8 0098360004 8/3/04

I sent this list to Hashen and he has approved sending 4 in to be checked. The others were not Ewert submissions.

• Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen 136 CGC 9.8 0098407013 9/16/04

• All Star Western 4 CGC 9.6 0098451009 2/28/05

• All Star Western 5 CGC 9.8 0098451010 2/28/05

• Superboy 166 CGC 9.6 0080561020 7/9/04

This took only one e-mail to get to this point with CGC. He responded quickly as well. Regardless of CGC's overall response, if I leave this hobby over this scandal (I won't) it will not be due to CGC's error, it will be because of JEwert and Balsco (?).

to be continued....

Thanks Ghost-

They probably used Ewert's CGC Member/Dealer submission account number, but had themselves listed as the return addressee.

Just had a response from Harshen regarding six suspect books I owned. The good news is that only two were Ewert subs. The bad news is that Tommy ain't putting his money on the table anymore... :(

Mr. Beckett,

The only two books that are Ewert submissions are the Avengers #15 and Avengers #60.

What you can do is fill out a form online, print and write on the form: "EWERT REVIEWS" ATTN: HARSHEN PATEL.

Please send that in and we will take it from there. If any of the two are trimmed we will reimburse you with a credit for future submissions. Please advise when you will be sending them.

Regards,

Harshen

Just had a response from Harshen regarding six suspect books I owned. The good news is that only two were Ewert subs. The bad news is that Tommy ain't putting his money on the table anymore... :(

Mr. Beckett,

The only two books that are Ewert submissions are the Avengers #15 and Avengers #60.

What you can do is fill out a form online, print and write on the form: "EWERT REVIEWS" ATTN: HARSHEN PATEL.

Please send that in and we will take it from there. If any of the two are trimmed we will reimburse you with a credit for future submissions. Please advise when you will be sending them.

Regards,

Harshen

hm And I'm guessing it's your dime to get it there and back overseas?

Mr. Beckett,

Regards,

Harshen

Yup. :cry:

And on a couple of slabs, plus insurance, both ways...it'll be at least $60.

So, I'm out $60+ and if either are found to be trimmed, I'll have something that is worthless to me.

^^

meh

Mr. Beckett,

Regards,

Harshen

So, I'm out $60+ and if either are found to be trimmed, I'll have something that is worthless to me.

^^

meh

I'm very sorry to hear your predicament, FT. Hopefully everything will work out all right.

Mr. Beckett,

Regards,

Harshen

^^

meh

I'm very sorry to hear your predicament, FT. Hopefully everything will work out all right.

Thanks, Gary.

I'm just thankful that neither of them are real big $$$ books, or else I'd be really pissed. :(

Lagger, should have checked years ago like I did. :baiting:

You're not wrong. :(

I kept putting it off because of the shipping costs. I was waiting for the opportunity to physically bring the books over and take them back with me, but every time I've come over...I've forgotten the ing things! doh!

I kept putting it off because of the shipping costs. I was waiting for the opportunity to physically bring the books over and take them back with me, but every time I've come over...I've forgotten the ing things! doh!

:sorry:

Signs of growing senility. :baiting:

Signs of growing senility. :baiting:

Who are you again?

And where are my loafers? (shrug)

Thanks Doug. I think CGC should clarify why the selected dates for review were chosen and what CGC #s were submitted by Ewert.

I have a book which I purchased from an Ewert ebay auction which is not on any of the published lists I have seen. Who do I contact to get it listed? BTW, I contacted CGC and it fell outside of their date range, so they said it is probably not at risk. :golfclap: