• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signature Series Opportunities - WonderCon (San Fran) Feb. 27-28, March 1, 2009

54 posts in this topic

Yeah, I have a feeling this is Mark Hamill's way of finally agreeing to sign Star Wars stuff again. :) I'm very curious to see how many folks are going to get in line for him at this show. Judging from the interest I'm seeing from folks here, I think I'm going to get in line early Friday just to ensure they get done! :)

My rate for Modern books for these 2 are as follows:

$75 for Carrie Fisher only ($35 deposit)

$135 for Mark Hamill only ($90 deposit)

$170 for both Fisher & Hamill ($125 deposit)

This includes the signature fee, grading fee, witness fee, and submission to CGC. Return shipping is extra depending on the quantity and value of books submitted.

I need these books by Wednesday, February 25th at the latest, and I need at least the deposit (indicated above) to be paid by that time as well. PM me for further details.

Joel Elad

5694 Mission Center Rd, #602-444

San Diego, CA 92108

Hope I can find a nice, high grade Star Wars #1 this weekend so that I can just hand it to you with a check...

Brian

Yeah, I have a feeling this is Mark Hamill's way of finally agreeing to sign Star Wars stuff again. :) I'm very curious to see how many folks are going to get in line for him at this show. Judging from the interest I'm seeing from folks here, I think I'm going to get in line early Friday just to ensure they get done! :)

So there is no Mark Hamill SS as of yet?

I don't know if there's any Mark Hamill SS yet. He's done a few San Diego Cons to promote other properties like the Black Pearl and Comic Book the Movie. I know he hated to sign Star Wars stuff, but someone told me recently he charged $150 2 years ago to sign stuff, so maybe there is?

There definitely will be some Mark Hamill SS after this show. That seems to be my 2nd highest requested signature person, after Jim Lee, even with Hamill's high rate! I'm definitely going to Hamill's booth first thing on Friday! :)

Joel

Just wanted to reconfirm that the only Witness I'm aware of accepting books for this show is Joel. If you are not attending and have SS requests for this show you should contact him ASAP to see if he can do them, and if so, arrange to get them to him in time for the show. WonderCon (and MegaCon) are a mere 10 days from today - not a lot of time left to make those arrangements.

Jon Jesperson and I will be covering the SS requests made at the booth. So we'll see anyone attending the show there. I'm looking forward to seeing Jon again and catching up with the California crowd.

How to prepare your books for submissions for the prestigious Signature Series at a show

We have prepared a list of steps you can take in advance of the show if you plan to drop books off for Signature Series signings. Books that are prepared in advance make it out onto the show floor for signings faster than those that are dropped off in regular bags and boards that need to then be prepped as follows:

Step 1:

Take a mylar or a polybag (make sure you have a backing board inside so you don't cut all the way thru the bag or mylar).

Step 2:

Decide what part of the cover you want the book signed on. Take a sharpie marker and draw a box on the bag or mylar OR take masking tape and carefully make a box on the cover using the masking tape.

Step 3:

Take a box cutter, X-acto knife or utility blade and carefully cut the inner part of the square you made with the sharpie marker or with the masking tape.

Note: if using tape, please make sure that there is no sticky residue on the edges of the tape after you have cut out the signing area box.

Step 4:

On the reverse side of the backing board please write the following:

1. Your name.

2. Your book title and issue number

3. The name of the creator you would like to sign the book – if more than one please write in ORDER OF PREFERENCE/PRIORITY – most desired #1

Step 5:

Place the comic into the bag or mylar with the signing area cut out.

Step 6:

Place the comic in the bag/mylar with the signing area cut out into a slightly larger bag or sleeve for safety during transport to the witness or to the show.

Thanks!

Wow, what a show! This is my first time logging onto the boards since Thursday. I seem to have a knack for late night posts and rambling, so why change now? :)

Overall, I think the show was a success. There were a few artists who were no-shows (Jeph Loeb, Mike Mayhew, Joe Rubenstein, Dean Yeagle, Scott Williams, Alex Sinclair), a few that I just found out made a quiet 1-2 hour appearance late Saturday (Travis Charest) even though I checked his booth 10 times over the weekend and NEVER saw him, and some that may or may not have attended (Golden, Texeira).

As for Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher, if you submitted a book to me for them, it is SIGNED and in CGC's hands now, so all of you, breathe a sigh of relief. :) (I know I did once I got to hand them off) And, yes, Kris, your precious cargo was signed by Mr. Hamill and I still have it, so please, no frantic calls about it. :)

Between submissions to me and submissions to CGC, we got a great majority of it signed, very close to 100%. (Jim Lee, J. Scott Campbell, Howard Chaykin, Roy Thomas, Art Adams, Steve Englehart, Ed Brubaker, Matt Fraction, Ray Park, who am I forgetting?) Gemma, Bill, and Ali-Jay held down the fort beautifully while Kevin and I earned some tread on our shoes fighting mobs of fans that loved to stop in the middle of a big aisle and just stare, or stop to block the aisle while taking a picture of someone in costume, or stop just to intentionally slow me down. (ok, the last one may be a stretch, but I'm not sure)

And for those of you wondering, the Watchmen cast did the panel, back-stage press interviews, and LEFT without any fan signings or interaction. Dave Gibbons was NOT at the DC booth at all during the weekend, or anywhere inside the Moscone Center (besides the panel) and very few of the big movie or TV show panels had any signings or fan interaction before or after their panels. (The one or two that did required you get a studio-provided signed gift only, not your own items) Adam West did appear, charged $50 for each signature and DEMANDED that each signature be personalized, so naturally, I did not get any books signed by him. :)

There were more people (aka fans) in the aisles than I remembered. In talking with dealers, it was mixed whether all these fans are actually buying anything, but they are showing up. :) I had some fun, but I was almost as busy at this show as I was in New York, and this show I had a much smaller list of targets.

I am still going through everything, so expect more information later on in the week, as I am travelling most of the day tomorrow. Once again, thanks to Kev, Gemma, Bill, and Ali-Jay, and I am SO LOOKING FORWARD to some sleep. :)

Joel

P.S. Chaykin is doing Super-Con in May, maybe someone can get you a sketch then. For Sergio, you can probably get him at Comic Con in July.

a personal thank you to Joel, Bill, Topnotchman (Tom) and Kevin for all their hardwork on getting my books done and picking up books for me throughout the weekend. It was awful not being there, but all of you guys made it much easier for me and alleviated a lot of stress!

I owe ya all!

JJ

Somewhat quiet show for one with such big crowds, and the cancellations/no-shows were definitely disappointing.

Joel was a HUGE help, especially with Jon being unable to attend.

Most requested: J. Scott Campbell, Ed Brubaker, Jim Lee, Matt Fraction, Roy Thomas, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Erik Larsen.