• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Canada wins hockey championship AGAIN (5 straight years and counting......)

28 posts in this topic

Yes, the Russians made a mistake, but that's part of the game.

Sorry, but when you make a monstrous blunder with a few seconds left that causes your team to lose the game, that's not even close to the same thing.

As much as I love the end result, by all rights we should have been playing for Bronze.

Could you even imagine if the situation was reversed, and Canada would have lost in the same manner? The Canadian media would have roasted that player.

Agreed. Gain the line, dump the puck. 'Nuff said.

Personally, I would rather watch a good NHL game vs the world juniors or collegiate hockey. Regarding the latter, the passion and work ethic is definitely there. And who doesn't love watching kids with full cages throw themselves around with wreckless abandon? For me, the patience and skill level drop is noticeable so i'd rather watch a really good NHL game. Of course finding a "really good" NHL game usually means tivo-ing what turns out to be 2 or 3 really boring, uneventful NHL games.

Not sure if it is ok to post a link to another forum (hockey related)... but check this out:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=591629

Swedish fans saying the refs were favouring Canada. doh!

Nothing new, the losing side always complains, regardless of nationality.

USA! USA! Oh wait, Canada won...again. !

Swedish fans saying the refs were favouring Canada. doh!

What appears to be refs favoring one team is almost always the result of one team having superior talent, thereby putting tremendous continuing pressure on the other team, and forcing that team into taking a lot of penalties.

This happens in every sport at every level.

Superior talent = Penalties For Other Team

Team Canada is simply better than Sweden. When Canada stopped making bone-headed plays on defense (like they did against the Russians) Sweden had little chance of winning this game.

The broadcast was a MASSIVE ratings success in Canada, watched by 30% of the country (the equivalent of over 100 million people watching a show in the USA).

Here is an excerpt:

With 602,000 viewers, RDS also had a record audience for the gold medal game. TSN and RDS's total combined viewership for the game was a record 4.3 million. The game was watched in whole or in part by 9.3 million Canadians, or nearly 30% of the country's population.

What appears to be refs favoring one team is almost always the result of one team having superior talent, thereby putting tremendous continuing pressure on the other team...

Sure, unless you're the Detroit Lions - what was up with that, did the NFL just decide they wanted a winless team for some press?

Sure, unless you're the Detroit Lions - what was up with that, did the NFL just decide they wanted a winless team for some press?

The Lions wanted to make history ..... and this is the only way they know how to do it.

Now they have joined the ranks of legendary teams like the 1976 Tampa Bay Bucs.

No one can ever take that away from the Lions now.

Skill???NO, I agree with the others though. It is more exciting, the kids are fantastic to watch. they are so intense.

Canada played a great tournament. The Swedes were ranked #1 coming in so they had something to prove + it gave them extra motivation. Canada was the best team in the tournament. The USA - Canada game was great to watch as was the Canada - Russia game. Canada had its worst game then, they got lucky to get out of that game with a victory. Lucky that the Russian kid got greedy and shot the puck from his own blueline with 41 seconds to go. If he took a few more steps to the center line and dumped it in then Canada would have been done. He also had lots of time to skate it out for a better closer shot...oh well the best team still won haha.

The Swedes looked nervous got a way from their game plan. Canada played them very physical and it was obvious that the Swedes wanted no part of it. I can still picture the swedish goalie flopping all over the place trying to draw a penalty. I can only imagen how much of a blowout it would have been for Canada if they had not taken 8 penalties.

Would you guys agree that World Jr. Hockey is more exciting than pro hockey?

Absolutely...

More heart...passion...skill...desire...pride...honour