• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incredible Hulk 181 9.8 signed.

63 posts in this topic

Always nice to see when you submit a comic for a signature it increases value around $15,000.

Tis worth pointing out that the SS market, and the HG big ticket book market, aren't exactly one in the same.

Value would be interesting to see if the book went to market, but my estimations is that it would come in below a standard 9.8 universal, but still garner a healthy premium over a 9.6 copy.

And while Stan is coveted, he is neither the writer, or the artist on the book. Essentailly there are more than a few variables to be taken into consideration when trying to apply a price estimation on the book.

I am almost positive w/ the movie coming up and the fact that Stan Lee is who he is there is NO WAY it would sell for less than a normal 9.8 universal. Could not disagree more. (My 2 cents)

And that assumption is based around what exactly (shrug)

Vaugue speculation isn't required, you can break it down. What is the most ever paid for a SS book?

What's the typical asking for #181 9.8.

They are worlds apart. You'll have to find at least two big ticket buyer's who are interested in SS book. Arguably, if it's the only 9.8 to come out around the movie, that's one thing.

If 2 emerge, or it comes out after, the results will be different again.

I dont know what is the most ever paid for a ss book or a 181 I do not have GPA.........How could you not find 2 big ticket buyers for that book? Also I think Stan will make a cameo like he always does in the Wolverine movie anyway so there is the smallest tie to this book if you wanna stretch it that far.

Here is my thinking-

Stan Lee = Modern Day Walt Disney (American Icon)

Spiderman Kicks Mickey Mouses in the opinion of most kids or anyone today.

Do you think someone would pay more for some MINT VALUABLE Disney Memorabilia OR would they pay more for that same MINT VALUABLE Disney memorabilia signed by Walt Disney?

To me it just makes no sense why a normal 9.8 Hulk 181 would sell more than one of the same quality signed by Marvel's maker........(that is how I break it down) :)

To me it just makes no sense why a normal 9.8 Hulk 181 would sell more than one of the same quality signed by Marvel's maker........(that is how I break it down) :)

Thats fair to say, but it just comes down to the fact that not all book collectors appreciate SS books.

Thus you NEED two big ticket SS buyers to have a good result on this book.

Thats not to say some new, or outsider to the hobby comes in and puts some dollars down. But again your resting on the movie pretty heavily here to highlight things beyond the normal sale circles.

Thats fair to say, but it just comes down to the fact that not all book collectors appreciate SS books.

Thats not to say some new, or outsider to the hobby comes in and puts some dollars down. But again your resting on the movie pretty heavily here to highlight things beyond the normal sale circles.

You don't "need" two big ticket SS buyers to get a good price on this book. You only need one if it is listed at a fixed price with offers accepted. If you want to maximize the price, then you probably need to do an auction, in which case then you need two interested bidders to get the price up, but you're still in control of the opening bid, and as such even then you only need one interested bidder.

As far as Stan's "connection" to this book, granted he was not involved in the creation of Wolverine, which is what gives this book its value, but if you look at the first page of this issue, it does say at the top "Stan Lee presents:". 'Nuff Said. Granted that if this had been my book I probably would have requested that Len Wein, Herb Trimpe and John Romita sign it as well, but I don't think them not being on there diminishes the desirability of this book to a significant extent.

Finally, in terms of whether a "premium" over a blue label 9.8 is likely, there is a good chance this is the only 9.8 Signature Series copy we will ever see of this issue. First of all, there are only 15 other 9.8 copies out there (there aren't even any qualified or restored 9.8 copies), so it's not as if it's real easy to come up with a copy even if you had the money. And given the difference in price between a 9.6 and a 9.8, you would be taking a huge risk in cracking out a copy to get it signed, so I think that would discourage anyone from taking that route. It's possible that someone would turn up a raw copy, but given how few have turned up so far, that seems pretty unlikely as well.

Does all this mean that the book will command a huge premium over a blue label 9.8? My guess is no, but then again, I never thought a Signature Series 6.0 copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 would sell for several thousand dollars more than a blue label 6.0 copy. Maybe we'll find out. I know if it were my copy, I definitely would be listing it for sale, and if I wanted to have a copy for my own collection, then as someone else suggested, use what you make on selling the 9.8 and buy another 9.6 since that's all you were counting on in the first place.

Just my 2c

You don't "need" two big ticket SS buyers to get a good price on this book. You only need one if it is listed at a fixed price with offers accepted. If you want to maximize the price, then you probably need to do an auction, in which case then you need two interested bidders to get the price up, but you're still in control of the opening bid, and as such even then you only need one interested bidder.

As far as Stan's "connection" to this book, granted he was not involved in the creation of Wolverine, which is what gives this book its value, but if you look at the first page of this issue, it does say at the top "Stan Lee presents:". 'Nuff Said. Granted that if this had been my book I probably would have requested that Len Wein, Herb Trimpe and John Romita sign it as well, but I don't think them not being on there diminishes the desirability of this book to a significant extent.

Finally, in terms of whether a "premium" over a blue label 9.8 is likely, there is a good chance this is the only 9.8 Signature Series copy we will ever see of this issue. First of all, there are only 15 other 9.8 copies out there (there aren't even any qualified or restored 9.8 copies), so it's not as if it's real easy to come up with a copy even if you had the money. And given the difference in price between a 9.6 and a 9.8, you would be taking a huge risk in cracking out a copy to get it signed, so I think that would discourage anyone from taking that route. It's possible that someone would turn up a raw copy, but given how few have turned up so far, that seems pretty unlikely as well.

Does all this mean that the book will command a huge premium over a blue label 9.8? My guess is no, but then again, I never thought a Signature Series 6.0 copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 would sell for several thousand dollars more than a blue label 6.0 copy. Maybe we'll find out. I know if it were my copy, I definitely would be listing it for sale, and if I wanted to have a copy for my own collection, then as someone else suggested, use what you make on selling the 9.8 and buy another 9.6 since that's all you were counting on in the first place.

Just my 2c

Some really good points there. I guess I'm more coming from the pricing perspective, as the book represents the upper limits of rpicing for a BA book. Although it does break all the rules for rational expectations on a book.

And there in lies the difference to the AF#15 example, a 6.0 example would be perceived as 'cheap' next to higher graded copies. So a premium at the point of the grade range makes some sense. Also Stan wrote the thing.. but thats a definite moot point... Stan is the man.

But when you already looking at $15-20K, I don't see an SS bumping things up, as it's already such a large number.

Also 15 copies is still a lot, another could come up, and common sense says movie time would be the best time to capitalise for those holding copies. So there's a good chance other copies will emerge around movie time.

Just my 2c

Some really good points there. I guess I'm more coming from the pricing perspective, as the book represents the upper limits of rpicing for a BA book. Although it does break all the rules for rational expectations on a book.

And there in lies the difference to the AF#15 example, a 6.0 example would be perceived as 'cheap' next to higher graded copies. So a premium at the point of the grade range makes some sense. Also Stan wrote the thing.. but thats a definite moot point... Stan is the man.

But when you already looking at $15-20K, I don't see an SS bumping things up, as it's already such a large number.

Also 15 copies is still a lot, another could come up, and common sense says movie time would be the best time to capitalise for those holding copies. So there's a good chance other copies will emerge around movie time.

This is a great topic with some really well thought out positions and also kudos to everyone for not getting too fired up. I think I am in the camp that says the SS version will not provide the typical percentage bump that Stan's sig normally produces. We have already seen that with some very high grade SS books there is some resistance to paying full GPA for Yellow label books. Why? Because there is a segment of the market that doesn't like signed books and thus the demand part of the curve is skewed.

I think this book will go for right around GPA Blue Label pricing. It is an amazing book and a huge windfall to its owner. Congrats to all involved.

PS to Chandler: I say crack it for Wein and Trimpe :baiting:

i wonder if stan realized the value of the book he was scribblin on........

tough cover to find a nice spot to sign. (not that you can ask stan anyway)

anyone think there could have been a better sig placement? maybe on the HULK in white letters....

Great book though. Brasseye and Sean Fingh I can see your point about just a plain 9.8 having at least the same appeal.

Given the difference in price between a 9.6 and a 9.4, I'm not so sure that I would have had the guts to try getting a 9.6 signed (although this is coming from a guy who got Frank Frazetta to sign a 9.6 copy of Famous Funnies #210, but in that case I was able to overcome the my concern about a downgrade because I convinced myself that a 9.4 Signature Series copy would be worth about the same as a 9.6 blue label copy). Heck, I've got a 9.2 on its way from CGC, and I'm debating whether that one is worth taking a chance on cracking out to get signed by Stan, Len Wein, Herb Trimpe and John Romita.