• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it just me or does Amaz Spidey seem to be going nowhere?

37 posts in this topic

I think you and I are on the same page. I thought his style worked pretty well on his recent Hulk stint, but it's just completely falling flat on the more mainstream super-hero book ASM.

I, too, have not really enjoyed ASM since #289 (I thought the McFarlane run was an abomination), though I thought the first 6-10 issues of JMS's run were pretty good. It's really just been all downhill since then, like he started believing in his deification by the fanboy press.

Gene

I would drop Spectacular Spidey before I would even consider dropping Amazing Spidey. If you think JR Jr.'s art sucks, what do you think of the art in Spectacular Spidey?

Hey, no argument there. JRJR and Ramos are, as far as I'm concerned, far and away the two worst artists currently working on major titles.

Gene

Then there is also the artist for my favorite comic the Punisher. I don't know the name of the artist off the top of my head, but he sucks when he attempts to draw spidey, wolverine, and especially daredevil. I think he is the same artist for the Thor Vikings limited series. Never seen Thor look so puny.

Yea, it's definitely Glenn Fabry. He drew every cover for Preacher, and I think he's done every cover for Punisher that Ennis has written. Ennis, Fabry, and Steve Dilon seem to be quite a trio, they collaborate on a LOT of books together.

Fabry's style is gritty and realistic...I dislike it and like it all at once. His depiction of Frank Castle is rather ugly--which is much closer to what a guy like him would probably look like in real life than most Punisher artists have drawn him in the past. He's definitely drawing Thor to be too small for a god-on-earth, much smaller than I can remember seeing the character drawn before.

Fabry's style is gritty and realistic...I dislike it and like it all at once. His depiction of Frank Castle is rather ugly--which is much closer to what a guy like him would probably look like in real life than most Punisher artists have drawn him in the past. He's definitely drawing Thor to be too small for a god-on-earth, much smaller than I can remember seeing the character drawn before.

I couldn't agree more. If he sticks to the Punisher he is alright, but when he branches off into drawing Thor and others it looks kinda weird. Gritty and realistic describes his style perfectly. Now that you mention it, do you think Garth Ennis writting style could work with another person drawing the Punisher?

I couldn't agree more. If he sticks to the Punisher he is alright, but when he branches off into drawing Thor and others it looks kinda weird. Gritty and realistic describes his style perfectly. Now that you mention it, do you think Garth Ennis writting style could work with another person drawing the Punisher?

Yes, especially since Dillon does most of the drawing, and his style isn't all that gritty, it's more cartoony. I like Dillon's art a lot though. I've never seen Fabry do the interior art on an Ennis book until the Thor: Vikings mini.

Yea, it's definitely Glenn Fabry. He drew every cover for Preacher, and I think he's done every cover for Punisher that Ennis has written. Ennis, Fabry, and Steve Dilon seem to be quite a trio, they collaborate on a LOT of books together.

Tim Bradstreet - cover artist for Punisher (all Ennis issues) and DC's Hellblazer...

I, too, have not really enjoyed ASM since #289 (I thought the McFarlane run was an abomination), though I thought the first 6-10 issues of JMS's run were pretty good. It's really just been all downhill since then, like he started believing in his deification by the fanboy press.

Gene

This sums up my view also, apart from the 'abomination' line, I thought McFarlane's run was OK but vastly over-rated. As far as JR JRs Spidey work goes, I was a big fan of his 80's stuff, but his current (bad) apeing of Ditko is really not working. frown.gif

Forget zeck! i think they need to attach a blow up doll to the cover to make it more fun to pick up these days.

So when you get that slabbed, what would be the shipping cost, per book? How big is the cover when deflated?