• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best book you NEVER read?

48 posts in this topic

I'm still buying Alan Moore's Promethea religiously, and I'm sure it's great, but haven't read an issue since #2 or #3. crazy.gif

I'm buying it in hardcover... I read the first one after borrowing it from the local library and got hooked. A very dense read that took me several hours to get through (unlike "Kraven's Last Hunt" - for example - which - and I'm not kidding - took me all of 25 minutes to get through). I'm waiting to get the last volume before I resubmerge myself...

As for best book I've never read... Good question. A lot of folks like Sandman, but I tried the first collection and just couldn't. Ditto with V for Vendetta and From Hell.

There are so many that have a good reputation that I just couldn't see myself reading... Maus, MiracleMan, Starlin's Captain Marvel run, Peter David's Hulk run, Byrne's Fantastic Four run, Claremont's X-Men run... lessee have I pissed everyone off yet.... devil.gif no... wait... the EC horror comics... um.... Hulk 181 insane.gif

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Watchmen. I own the TPB and started reading through it 2-3 years ago, but I got bogged down and never finished it. This may be blasphemy, but I was far from blown away by the first 2-3 issues that I did read. I'm hoping it lives up to the Bible-level amount of worship this series gets when I finally get around to reading the whole thing. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Gene

One part of Watchmen that is overrated is the actual story. The whole "mystery" was pretty lame, and the ending was unsatisfying, but I still think it's a classic due to the incredible character portrait of Rorschach, probably one of the most memorable hero depictions and deconstructions I've ever read.

I've never read any issues of 100 Bullets and I haven't read Maus.I still have Blankets on my shelf to read, and I hear that is good.

Other than that I've never read any issues of Tomb of Dracula or Howard the Duck.

Kev

Is there a TPB out of 30 Days of Night?

Yes. It's good, but it's way too short and Templesmith's art is extremely...loose, shall we say, making it hard to follow sometimes.

Personally, I don't think it holds a candle to Tomb of Dracula.

Gene

Is there a TPB out of 30 Days of Night?

Yes. It's good, but it's way too short and Templesmith's art is extremely...loose, shall we say, making it hard to follow sometimes.

Personally, I don't think it holds a candle to Tomb of Dracula.

Gene

I've just read the 30 Day TPB, the art wasn't for me.... I got it at SunCoast video.

I've never read Master of Kung Fu, any good??? confused-smiley-013.gif

Just started reading the Alan Moore run on "Supreme". Pretty good (so far), and I would expect nothing less. Would like to read 'Maus'.

Comments on others lists:

-I know I sound like a broken record but, everyone should try and read 100 Bullets. It gets better and better. So far, 46 issues, and every issue is IMPORTANT. There are no fillers; even the books that appear to be filler issues end up being important (and their importance may not be recognized until 20 issues down the road). An awesome accomplishment!

-Watchmen: Agree w/ JC's take on Roarschac (sp?), but I loved the whole story. The ending of the story was just incredible! For Gene, try it again. It was tough at first for me as well, but you've got to put the time in on this book (first few issues are all set-up). It's worth it!

-V for Vendetta: A must read!!!!!!

-30 Days of Night: Pretty good horror book. The art is sometimes very creepy, but sometimes very bad as well. Fits the mood of the story well. Personally, I am liking the sequel (Dark Days) better.

Chris

Many of the things I was going to say have already been mentioned.

We should start a "library" and trade trades back and forth. I've got some Sandman trades, and a really interesting story from awhile back (can't remember the name and am too lazy to look it up -- Rubber Baby or something?), one of John Byrne's FF (Trial of Galactus, I think it's called), 2012, and some others. I've never read Watchmen or V for Vendetta or almost any Marvels. There are so many good stories I've never read.

I've heard lots of good things about Preacher, but I've never got around to picking up any TPBs. I'm also haven't read a lot of early Silver Fantastic Four (1-30) which I really should get around to reading - funny how I'll re-read Spidey 1-40 a gazillion times, but not touch early FF stuff.