• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paging Art collectors - value of H181 cover???

63 posts in this topic

Hi,

Mentioning the MS 5 cover reminded me of one other issue in collecting comic art... condition. Condition isn't as important to art collectors, mainly because of the one-of-a-kind nature. If you don't like the condition, you can't just look for another copy. However, condition does effect the value of a piece, and can enter into the negotiations over price. Excessive white-out, smudges, tape, tears, stats, yellowing all enter into the final value of a piece.

For example, the splash page for MS 5 was for sale for about 9-10K, and sold at 9K to a friend of mine. After seeing the condition, he asked to go back on the deal, and was given his money back. While this is rare, it happens at times. More often, a deal is struck again for a reduced price. Or, if it's a piece that you really want, you can have it restored. Again, restoration is more accepted in collecting original art, just like it is in collecting fine art. It's more about preservation. However, restoration does enter into final valuation.

I don't know where the cover is, but if in nice condition I bet 20-30K. Ploog is a very popular and excellent artist, and his art is coveted by many. This is arguably his most famous image/cover.

Since the thread seems to have spread from the original

direction, perhaps someone can answer this question. I have a couple of covers from the mid 70s, that I had mounted on boards and then framed. Over the years, one of the DD covers has somehow lost one of its word ballons. Would the mounting drasticlly effect the price of te covers. It was professionaly done and looks real nice.And how about the missing word ballon?

Hi,

Regarding the mounting, that's a tough question. What you're describing has happened on a number of occasions, mainly when someone frames a piece of art but doesn't tell the framer that it needs to be archivally framed. In these cases, they've used glue to mount the art on a board and then frame the whole thing.

That's not to say that they didn't use an archival glue to mount yours.... they may have.

Whether it would affect value is entirely subjective. I think most people would see it as an alteration from its original form, and would devalue it a certain amount. It would definitely be an issue when trying to value it for sale, and you'd have to discuss it with prospective buyers. Some won't care, but others would walk away. Of course, if it's a Miller DD cover, then no one will give a damn!

I would have a b/w xerox of the word balloon blown up & matched in size to the orig. DD cover. Then xerox the word onto a clear acetate overlay & store with the cover art.

I despise any original art with heavy brown glue stains on the back due to mounting onto a matte. A restorer can carefully clean it off though. acclaim.gif

Any idea as to who owns the original art to Hulk #340. I think this cover has a very strong and classic McF cover image and should go for pretty big dollars.

Any truth that a comic shop in Canada has the original artwork or is that only a copy based upon what I heard in San Diego?

Yes, I know the dealer who now owns the Hulk 340 cover. It is probably Todd's greatest published artistic achievement. sumo.gif May have been in the hands of a local comic retailer for 1 month years ago before it was flipped to USA.

Hi,

Interesting we're mentioning the Hulk 340 cover. That cover just recently traded hands. A collector in Florida recently bought it, for an undisclosed amount. He has been offered over 40K for it (close to 50K, I think), but is not willing to sell it.

I agree with Odin regarding the missing word balloosn. Acetate overlays work very well for missing stats and word balloons. I'd avoid attaching anything onto the art itself.

Missing word balloons generally don't detract much value from a piece UNLESS there are dark glue stains where the word balloons used to be. I think a good restorer can fix it, though.

Its kind of ironic that Hulk 181 cover artwork may be valued at 100K when just a few threads below this one people are calling Herb Trimpe the worst penciller of the Bronze Age. Original art pricing is so wacky its funny. Somebody sell me some nice Gulacy/Zeck or gene Day Master of Kung Fu pages! grin.gif

Its kind of ironic that Hulk 181 cover artwork may be valued at 100K when just a few threads below this one people are calling Herb Trimpe the worst penciller of the Bronze Age. Original art pricing is so wacky its funny. Somebody sell me some nice Gulacy/Zeck or gene Day Master of Kung Fu pages! grin.gif

I think you're missing the point. That cover would be worth 100k IN SPITE of Trimpe, not because of him.

no I'm scratching my head on this one One side of the coin says original art collectors collect for the aethetic appeal of the art plus rarity factored in Thats why Frazetta/Adams/Steranko/Kirby are worth tons of cash because their artwork was superior to 99% of what was on the stands. Sure Hulk 181 is a huge issue to all the Wolverine/X-Men collectors who grew up reading the Byrne stuff and the Miller mini. I guess if an art collector with real deep pockets who is also a huge Wolverine fan then maybe I can see the demand but I'd more likely see them buying a Byrne cover featuring Wolverine or the Miller mini covers. Those stand alone art wise regardless of what historically they had inside the covers

One side of the coin says original art collectors collect for the aethetic appeal of the art plus rarity factored in

I think the other side of the coin says that original art collectors also collect for the historical significance/provenance of a piece and also for ego and bragging rights. The latter point especially should never be discounted.

Gene

Hi,

Sorry, but I don't know your name so I'll just call you FIComicFan.

I agree with you completely. Most collectors (including myself) would go for the Steranko, Adams, Kirby, Romita etc. and would much prefer a nice Miller DD cover or Wolverine min-series cover than a Trimpe Hulk cover.... they are better images by "better" artists, and will stand the test of time in terms of value and demand.

But, this hobby is subjective, and some collectors would want the Hulk 181 cover for historic or nostalgiac reasons, and would be willing to pay big bucks despite the "inferior" image or artist. That being said, some people really do like the work of Trimpe, and some people love that particular cover. It's one of the most important covers in Marvel history, and people would pay dearly to have it.

As far as I know, the complete Hulk 181 book is still complete, meaning that the pages and cover have not been broken up, and is in a private collection.