• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paging Art collectors - value of H181 cover???

63 posts in this topic

In the stocks vs comics thread, the topic shifted, as it invariably does, to H181. That's usually the signal for me to jab myself or better yet the perpetrator of the H181 talk with a sharp stick but I actually found the discussion fascinating this time! 893whatthe.gif In particular, there was some discussion as to what the value of the cover might be. Can some of our esteemed art experts hazard a guess??

My guess was, brace for it, 200K. Greggy replied asking if I was on crack. I responded by saying he wishes I was on his crack. tongue.gif Here's the rest of my reply. Eagerly await your comments.....

----------

I'm not so sure it's as crazy as it sounds. As you know, I don't collect original art, but I would think that's the #1 cover actually extant. Name a bigger character intro where the cover is still extant. Superman? Nope. Batman? Nope. Spidey? Nope.

In my EXTREMELY limited and quite possibly delusional knowledge of the art market, I would think that's the #1 piece of comic art out there or very close to it. I would put it in the same class as a super high grade FF1 or AF15. Maybe I'm wrong... but I certainly can't see it being less than 100K. In a world where a NM Tec 38 (1st appearance of fruity sidekick in short shorts) is 100K+ is this really so out of line? Then again, like I said my knowledge of the market could not BE more limited and this is strictly a gut reaction. I would say the "normal" price would be 100K but you have to think there would be two insane bidders pushing the price up on each other for an item like this.

What do you think the ASM 129 cover would go for? How about the MS5 cover? Again, I have a complete lack of real knowledge of this market but I would guess, in very round terms, 50K for the 129 and 25K for the MS5. And I would think the H181 cover would go for way, way more.

Can some of you art collectors weigh in on this???

Hmm, I'm going to start a thread on this. Can't have too many 181 threads. tongue.gif

--------------------

I may be showcasing my lack of the art market knowledge for all to see... but dammit I don't think it's as crazy as it sounds. Inquiring minds want to know! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

in my estimate and due to the ASM 40 cover settling in the 38,000 dollar range,

i would think these price ranges :

Hulk 181 cover $75,000

MS 5 cover $20,000

ASM 129 $40,000

ASM 60 sold for 60 grand and if i remember correctly, the Superman 199 cover went for 33,000 ....or close to it.

There are more experianced art collectors on here, but it's my two cents.

The question isn't "what is it 'worth'?" Once you get into these sort of things, the question becomes "how many of the handful of people who can afford this piece are interested in it and how high is their interest." Personally, I think $200,000 is way too high. I just don't see Herb Trimpe exciting $200,000 worth of bidding no matter how historically important the piece is. It's possible of course, with original art anything is possible, but I just don't see it. I mean, at that range, you could get a nice Frazetta oil painting...

For some small reference, the TOD 10 cover sold for $17,250. Doesn't Metropolis own the MS #5 cover?

Todd McFarlane Hulk 340? vs Wolvie cvr $50k. 893whatthe.gif

Thanks for proving my point about rabid wolvie fans! hi.gif

Is everyone seriously trying to tell me that the Hulk 340 cover is worth almost as much as the H181 cover?

If so, I will wander back to my land of make believe... tra la la la..

Is everyone seriously trying to tell me that the Hulk 340 cover is worth almost as much as the H181 cover?

I wouldn't be surprised to see them hitting somewhere close to one another. I mean, playing the scenario out in my head, I don't see anyone dumping stupid money into a cover like that... particularly for Wolverine. Most of the art collectors I know (which, admittedly, are few in number) aren't too dazzled with "first appearances" and that sort of thing. Art collectors tend not to be drooling fanboys, but rather people who fancy themselves to be something a little better than drooling fanboys... art collectors want to keep their mystique and make their collecting habits a little more esoteric than the average Joe Collector (no offense, Joe, I'm talking about all the other Joes).

insane.gif

It's not just Wolvie that goes into the equation. You can't have a discussion about original art and ignore the artist. For better or worse, TMc is about five hundred times more collectible than Trimpe. In that battle the ONLY thing Hulk 181 would have going for it would be the historical significance and since 340 is significant in its own right and is one of TMc's best covers it's not as big of an advantage as it could be.

Artistically 340 is a better cover, its cooler thats for sure, and the profile of the Artists is like night and day. No offense to Mr. Trimpe, is that how you spell it. So then its a matter of historical sig. over artistic sig, again I only own one piece of org. comic art so I;m definitely out on a limb here.

I know TMc is way more collectible, but I must admit I am still shocked that the historical significance of this particular cover wouldn't blow every other concern away...

Back to my land of make believe... foreheadslap.gif

Hi guys,

I thought I'd chime in with a few of my thoughts on the subject. First off, original art collectors (in general) are less concerned with first appearances than they are with the art itself.... the artist and actual image are the most important things, together with nostalgia. Historic importance plays a role, too, but most collectors are less concerned with it. In contrast, the value of a comic book has mainly been due to historic importance (first appearance, crossover, etc.) and rarity (how tough is it to find in NM).

That being said, here is what I would fathom as far as value. Keep in mind that we're trying to be objective in a subjective hobby.

1. ASM 129 cover by Kane

An important and classic image, probably a nicer image than Hulk 181 overall, and there are definitely more Spidey art fans than Hulk or Wolverine. The guys who spend the big bucks collecting original art aren't collecting Wolverine, folks!

Here are some price comparisons:

Spidey 28 and 13 (i think) sold as a set earlier this year for about 170K (a private deal)

Spidey 40 made it to 38K in Heritage auction (which would be around 42 or so after buyer premium) but didn't sell.... so the seller obviously valued it higher.

Spidey 69 sold for 42K last year

Spidey 85 sold for about 25K

Spidey 122 sold for 65K about two years ago

I've been offered over 40K cash for my ASM 75 cover

After Ditko and Romita, Kane is the next most popular vintage Spidey artist. Average Kane covers would run you around 20K.

I would be shocked if the asking price on ASM 129 were anything less than 75K.... and, yes, it would sell at that price pretty easily I think. I would be suprised if it went for more.

2. Hulk 181 cover by Trimpe

There are less Hulk and Wolverine fans, but this definitely is a more historic and more important cover in the Marvel Universe. Most Trimpe covers are sold at the 3-5K range these days. Art collectors would be less eager for this cover than for the ASM 129 cover, mainly because of the artist involved. Buyers would be buying it mainly for its historic importance and iconic image. Nevertheless, asking price would be around 100K, and I'm sure it'd sell.

The bottom line is that covers of this importance are difficult to gauge in terms of value. It depends on timing, who's got the money, and if the right buyer knows about the cover's availability. Coming up with 100K or more isn't that difficult for some of the art collectors out there, mainly becuase they can often sell smaller items in their collection pretty quickly to fund such a large purchase. Most of us keep a list of who wants what in our collection, and then sell a piece here and there whenever we need cash to fund something else. It happens all the time.

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts. I could go on.