• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Difference between Giclee, Lithograph and Prints

8 posts in this topic

What is a Giclee Print?

This is a new form of fine art reproduction. In the past it has also been referred to as an Iris Print due to the fact that the brand name of one of the first high end digital printers was named Iris. Giclee is a french term that means "to squirt" and that is what the archival, lab tested inks do when they coat the paper or canvas with pigment. This process, different than the traditional off-set lithographic prints artists have traditionally used to reproduce their works, gives a much truer to the original look. Actually, the printer is a high end, large format ink jet printer. So the image is captured, proofed and printed digitally. The inks have been lab tested to withstand normal home lighting conditions for anywhere from thirty five to two hundred years (depending on the ink and the paper used) before showing any sign of fading. Probably, a greater life than some original works of art.

A lithograph is a kind of print. Prints are made from an original piece of art by first making a negative of it. The negative is then made into a print plate. A print plate is made for each of the colors used in the design. The individual prints are then made by inking the plate and using a press to stamp them out. This process can be very complicated and expensive when it comes to making concert posters and art prints of the type we sell.

When the signature on the individual print is hand signed it means that the person actually signed the individual print. When the signature is called "Plate Signed" that means that the person signed the print plate which results in a printed signature on the individual copies.

That's great info. The only thing I can add is that I've had some of my digital illustration work printed as giclee prints by a master printer and they are GORGEOUS! My work ends up looking like a silkscreen and the printer uses this 500 lb clay coated paper! I was really impressed. They are as beautiful as anything out there.

Also, it took me a while to find out, but giclee is pronouned gee-clay, with the emphasis on the second syllable.

Thank you very much for the answers. I have a follow up question that has nothing to do with the original one. ooo.gif

When you send out CGC lots of 2 to 4, do you actually stack them and sourround them with packng material or do you put packing material in between?

Also, there's two types of lithography. The first is done in a paint-by-numbers sort of fashion by the computer. The second one can be done with profession "colors" where they fill in the areas.

Brian

Jens,

I usually just stack them as long as each Cgc comic still has the original polybag to prevent scratches. Insert 2 or 4 slabs into a larger plastic bag to keep moisture out. Newspaper or styrofoam for corner protection inside a sturdy box for shipping.

Jens, I stack them but there is a carton divider along with that foam slip that CGC sends or bubble wrap in between the books for cushioning the case in transit. On days that I'm short carton cut outs handy, I insert my wife's Victoria Secret catalog or my Sports Illustrated mag laying around...I have tons to get rid off and there's no telling what magazines of mine end up in other buyers' homes smile.gif