• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Since when does a production error knock a 9.8 down to a 9.6 ???

16 posts in this topic

There is this silver age comic that is graded 9.6 and I called for the grading notes on it.

I was told that the only note on the book was "slight mis-wrap"

This is obviously a production error.

I always thought things that happened BEFORE the comic got to the news stand were not considered by CGC to be defects. Things like missing staple, miswraps, ink overspray, date stamps, etc.

I went back and looked at the book and it is obvious the right edge of the cover does not line up with the edge of the pages, the edge of the cover runs at a slight angle to the edge of the pages.

So did CGC get the grade on this one right if that is the only thing wrong with the book?

If I re-sub it, is there a chance it might get a 9.8 next time? Or maybe they view it more harshly and give it a 9.4?

What I do not get is why it is even listed in the notes, not exactly hard to spot a slight miswrap through a plastic case. Normally I thought 9.6 type books don't have anything listed in the grader notes.

As others have already said, miswrapped books can garner 9.8's , even badly miswrapped ones.

Mis-wraps generally dont get a 9.8 At least this is what I thought? Maybe it depends on severity. And I think missing staples are qualified? I may be wrong on one or both here.

scan0053-1.jpg

Great cover! I love it. Reminds me of TTA#27 crossed with Ben Grimm :)

What I do not get is why it is even listed in the notes, not exactly hard to spot a slight miswrap through a plastic case. Normally I thought 9.6 type books don't have anything listed in the grader notes.

As others have already said, miswrapped books can garner 9.8's , even badly miswrapped ones.

I stand corrected. As stated I could have been wrong on one or both. The miswrp for 9.9 and 10.0 does make sense though.

Mis-wraps do play a factor in 9.9 and 10.0 grades.

ya think ?

cgc991gr0.jpg

I don't have to "think," Ed. I know.

9.9 has one maybe two minor manufacturing defects & no handling defects

10.0 has no manufacturing defects & no handling defects

Mis-wraps do play a factor in 9.9 and 10.0 grades.

ya think ?

cgc991gr0.jpg

I don't have to "think," Ed. I know.

9.9 has one maybe two minor manufacturing defects & no handling defects

10.0 has no manufacturing defects & no handling defects

yeah, well the scan shows that you're wrong.

anyways, I got some stuff from the horses mouth as well, regarding what it takes to get a 9.9-10.0, that later was debunked.

I was originally told, no crooked wraps allowed in 9.9s. None of my 9.9 were ever crooked, but other examples on the market, I can not say the same for.

Mis-wraps do factor in on 9.9 and 10.0 grading. Perhaps if the 164 didn't have a very slight mis-wrap, it would have been a 10.0.

So you believe I'm wrong, big deal. It isn't the first time and it won't be the last.