• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta???? You decide

86 posts in this topic

Yes...the backgrounds are crude, the cross hatching is poorly done, Frank always did that meticulously... the signature is a joke, and the forger doesn't understand the copyright thing...overall a cheap quick lousy uninspired rip off. NO WAY this is the great Frazetta.

I have to say they look odd to me too. What you do is still telltale, whether it is quick or detailed, there are signifiers that appear to be missing. On the prelim, the transparency of the washes looks off, the blocking of the figure stiff. On the drawing, the hatching is amateurish. If you know how to hatch, you always know, it may be quicker, but it still looks confident. (shrug)

seeing those now that you just posted, which I did not see before my last point show a telling difference

Frazetta is deciphering the subject matter on the 1st two...over emphasizing lines and edges, so HE knows where they are on the finished piece.

The prelim in question is all hazy, there is no point to it, he is not learning where that leg is, he is not choosing value spots, it's just wrong in my eyes.

No comparison--the forgery is very clumsy, unpolished--the crosshatching difference is striking--does ANYONE believe that these two are from the same hand? Look at the wrong copyright notice in the copy--Frank did this (correctly) 1000 times-- Frank usually left a lot of paper around these ink drawings, this one is all wrong.

There are fewer lines in the top work but each line carries with it such depth and power. The lower image is too forced. Look at the right arm holding the mace in the lower drawing. The simple sketch of a the chain attached to the head (?) is all wrong, too amateurish. And if Frank were to do a separate pen and ink drawing to highlight a different weapon being held, he would focus more energy and detail on that aspect of the drawing. This appears to be done as an afterthought.

I am confused.