• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Erik Larsen feels betrayed by Marvel over Obama variant comic!

33 posts in this topic

Why are you people all supporting Marvel in this?

Call it a scam, a rip-off, pure laziness, a concept/cover/story swipe, whatever, Marvel obviously screwed the pooch on this one, and I cannot believe people are coming down on Larsen for having the balls to call them on it.

boourns5qv.jpg

Why are you people all supporting Marvel in this?

Call it a scam, a rip-off, pure laziness, a concept/cover/story swipe, whatever, Marvel obviously screwed the pooch on this one, and I cannot believe people are coming down on Larsen for having the balls to call them on it.

boourns5qv.jpg

I personally I am not saying Marvel is right. What I am saying is that Larsen's comic Savage Dragon is more popular because of Amazing Spider-man 583. Don't you get it. If it was not for Marvel doing this, no one outside of hardcore comic fans would of even heard of Savage Dragon. Again, how does this hurt Larsen? Fact is it doesn't. This is the greatest thing to happen to his comic in a very long time.

Don't forget about this one too:

Didnt know about that one.

When did that one come out?

I still think Larsen is a whinny biatch upset caus Marvel got more publicity than him!

My store sells maybe one or two Savage Dragon books when they come out. I didn't have anyone clambering for the Obama cover when it came out.

Not that people are defending Marvel as much as intolerant of someone whining about something that all comic creators/publishers seem to do. Take something like Walking Dead..you don't think that that title was used before, in the same manner? Cover swipes, ideas, direct ripoffs of others happen all the time.

Techinally Larsen had Presidential Candidate Barack Obama On Cover.

Marvel had the President

Technically, Marvel didn't have the President on the cover either. They had the President-elect. :baiting:

Why didn't Marvel respond in the original thread? It seems a little guarded and definitely using some poorly devised outreach strategy by handing their response over to CBR by way of email. If you want to take a discussion offline, like they clearly demonstrated with their approach, then at least post a response in the orginal thread to this effect.

As for the claim of thievery made by the OP, I think its a little over the top and irrational - derivative might be more appopriate, and there is a long list of companies selling their own brand of change and jumping on Obama's "Embrace Change" brandwagon.