• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does the ASM 129 cover exist and has anyone seen it?

6 posts in this topic

Id love to see the cover but I am betting that if one were to track the cover down it was probably created with a good portion of it being a STAT

That yellow background just screams out - "PASTE STAT HERE"

Whenever i see no background I tend to believe that the cover was created with PASTE UPS

Granted, I could be wrong

But I gotta feeling i am right on this piece

Yeah seem to remember there was some paste up art availble once from another ASM cover with a early Punisher appearance in it? Also the original cover to ASM 136 came in two pieces too.

Clem..

I don't know about the original, but I believe that Phillip Weiss Auctions auctioned off the prelim to that cover about two years ago. Apparently Gil Kane gave it to a neighbor as a gift. If I remember correctly, it was one of those "undercover" auctions and the prelim went for "a steal." It was a detailed prelim, not finished, but it looked very similar to the finished/published cover.

I've been keeping my eyes and ears out for this cover for years. So far, no one I've talked with has reported a sighting of it. For a little while I wondered if the full-size prelim that surfaced actually could have been the original pencils that Romita inked over on vellum (since they were relatively tight compared to other prelims). But, since it was common for Kane to do prelims and then the final pencils, I have to assume there is a final pen and ink version out there somewhere. I'm sure one day we'll find out.