• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Making a copy of OA for personal use.

10 posts in this topic

If you own the OA does the artist really have a say what you do with it?

I doubt an artist can do anything.

The copyright holder is a different story

It is illegal to copy original art. Artists by law retain copyright of works they produce unless either contracted, or unless they've sold the rights to someone else.

Now, is it unethical to copy it for personal use? No, as if you display a copy (as I do) you are protecting the original from theft or harm.

Many museums around the world do in fact display copies of art specifically to protect the originals.

Some even believe that the Mona Lisa on display is a copy as the original is considered priceless.

It likely depends on how 'personal' your display is, personal as in hanging on the wall in a government building? Might get a little murky those waters.

Hanging above your bed? Crystal clear - noone will care enough to take THAT matter to court/ombudsman etc.

Also as was said it would be whoever owns the copyright who would take you to court which would be marvel,dc,etc.

Many museums around the world do in fact display copies of art specifically to protect the originals.

Some even believe that the Mona Lisa on display is a copy as the original is considered priceless.

I did not know this. And would be alittle pissed to be looking at a copy of the mona lisa to be honest.... i can do that online.

If you own the OA does the artist really have a say what you do with it?

I doubt an artist can do anything.

The copyright holder is a different story

It is illegal to copy original art. Artists by law retain copyright of works they produce unless either contracted, or unless they've sold the rights to someone else.

Now, is it unethical to copy it for personal use? No, as if you display a copy (as I do) you are protecting the original from theft or harm.

Happy Birthday.. (thumbs u :applause:

Framing this discussion using the laws of the United States, artists retain copyright to anything they create that is true.

However if they create a work of art using another's trademarked/copyrighted characters or story they would have to get in line for enforcement seeing at they violated the original creator/copyright-trademark holder's rights in using their characters for profit.

In a case such as this, where the owner of the original image makes a single copy for his own use/study/research/enjoyment you would more than likely find it falls into the realm of fair use because of its de minimus effect on the value of the copyright, surrounding circumstances, and end goal of the person making/using the single copy.

Check this link out... U.S Copyright Office Fair Use Doctrine

Also see.. Fair Use specific statutory language

If it was deemed a violation of copyright to make a single copy for personal/use research as it is in this case it would mean that every scan and every piece on every art site is a violation of copyright law. Unless there is clear abuse of the copyright (creation and selling of copies for profit, or action that would cause a diminution of value to the point of injury to the copyright holder).

I do agree though that the creators hold copyright for anything they create unless contracted otherwise. The exceptions to enforcement of copyright and what constitutes a violation of copyright would intervene given this fact pattern however.

Best,

Chris

I asked the question only because I had taken the piece to get a laser copy for display in my home office (Man cave) and the clerk stated I had to have the artists(copyright holder) approval since the image wasnt created by me.

So Ill go somewhere else where they arent so uptight and get it done.

I asked the question only because I had taken the piece to get a laser copy for display in my home office (Man cave) and the clerk stated I had to have the artists(copyright holder) approval since the image wasnt created by me.

So Ill go somewhere else where they arent so uptight and get it done.

There is more and more of that happening lately. Every Kinko's clerk is now a copyright law professor. Gotta love our societal evolution.

C