• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What comics took the most number of years to become MAJOR key issues?

106 posts in this topic

Some books are "key issues" the day they are printed. Others seem to take 20 years to be broken out as a key issue in Overstreet.

So what books took the longest time to become a major key? (not counting Golden Age books which took until the first Overstreet was published in 1970 to be acknowledged as a key book)

Some that come to my mind are the late 1960's Batman books like:

Detective #359 first Batgirl

Batman 155 first silver age Penguin

Batman 171 first silver Riddler

Batman 189 first Scarecrow

I do not remember these as being key books in the early 1980's but they were by the 1990's. So it took 20+ years for them to become major keys

So what others are out there? Did any books take 30+ years to be broken out in Overstreet?

iron man 55 took 20+ years for sure. Spiderman 50 (minor key?) perhaps as well

Somone paid $25,000+ for a copy of ASM #50 last year so I think it has moved into the MAJOR key category. Plus it has become an iconic cover.

Somone paid $25,000+ for a copy of ASM #50 last year so I think it has moved into the MAJOR key category. Plus it has become an iconic cover.

In my world its probably not a major key and what some whackjob paid for a mint copy is really neither here nor there ;) I agree that its become an inconic cover (OVERRATED cough cough) to some people

How long did it take for that first Sabertooth in Iron Fist to become a key?

another good one, that took a while for the value to take off too. I'd say 15+ years?

In my world its probably not a major key and what some whackjob paid for a mint copy is really neither here nor there ;) I agree that its become an inconic cover (OVERRATED cough cough) to some people

I don't collect Spidey but ASM #50 is right up there as one of the top 5 or 10 issues of the first 100 issues.

The big keys to me are:

AF 15

ASM 1, 2, 3, 14, 20, 28, 41, 43, 50, 90, 96, 97, 98, 100

I don't collect Spidey but ASM #50 is right up there as one of the top 5 or 10 issues of the first 100 issues.

The big keys to me are:

AF 15

ASM 1, 2, 3, 14, 20, 28, 41, 43, 50, 90, 96, 97, 98, 100

I don't consider 2, 20, 28, 41, 43, 90, 96, 97, 98, or 100 to be major keys either. a MAJOR key should be a MAJOR deal. The first rhino or 'drug books' are cool/important/interesting but well short of MAJOR in my eyes.

Some books are "key issues" the day they are printed. Others seem to take 20 years to be broken out as a key issue in Overstreet.

So what books took the longest time to become a major key? (not counting Golden Age books which took until the first Overstreet was published in 1970 to be acknowledged as a key book)

Some that come to my mind are the late 1960's Batman books like:

Detective #359 first Batgirl

Batman 155 first silver age Penguin

Batman 171 first silver Riddler

Batman 189 first Scarecrow

I do not remember these as being key books in the early 1980's but they were by the 1990's. So it took 20+ years for them to become major keys

So what others are out there? Did any books take 30+ years to be broken out in Overstreet?

10 years after it's publication ,FF 48 was still going for the same price as the rest of the issues from 41-50....the books after # 10 for most titles were priced in groups of ten for years. I got my first FF 48 for 75 cents in 1974....it was NM....those were the days :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I don't consider 2, 20, 28, 41, 43, 90, 96, 97, 98, or 100 to be major keys either. a MAJOR key should be a MAJOR deal. The first rhino or 'drug books' are cool/important/interesting but well short of MAJOR in my eyes.

The biggest Spidey keys in descending order in my opinion are:

AF 15

ASM 1, 14, 2, 3, 28, 50 ..... and then the rest

That makes #50 around the 7th most important issue. It's a MAJOR key, it was not for many years, but it's a huge key now.

Look what it's got going for it:

1 first Kingpin

2. iconic cover

3. semi-anniversary issue

4. subject of a Spidey movie (costume in garbage can)

5. a huge price on a 9.8 copy

There are very few Spidey books that can touch this one.

ASM 5 & 28 are definite KEYS. :makepoint: ask any dealer. :gossip:

ASM #28 is not a "key" per say. PP graduating HS and the Molten Man origin are not earth shattering events in the world of Spidey. It has high value because of a very cool black cover that is hard to find in higher grades.

ASM 5 & 28 are definite KEYS. :makepoint: ask any dealer. :gossip:

ASM #28 is not a "key" per say. PP graduating HS and the Molten Man origin are not earth shattering events in the world of Spidey. It has high value because of a very cool black cover that is hard to find in higher grades.

exactly! and the first appearances of two-bit villains (vulture, scorpion, rhino) aren't keys either. People seem to have this idea that every friggin spidey book is a key and that the first time spidey took a dump should be broken out in guide