• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What comics took the most number of years to become MAJOR key issues?

106 posts in this topic

But #168 was the second most expensive of the Miller Daredevil's within a year of coming out. I guess it wasn't a major key until she started being seen as a major character, but the issue was pretty much always one of the keys of the run.

How long did it take for Martian Manhunter (Detective #225) to be seen as a key? When I started in the '80s it was already singled out, but I don't know how long it had been seen as a key issue?

Tec #225 is listed in the 1970 OPG for...you ready?

$4.

Sigh.

And it wasn't broken out.

I don't know exactly when it was, but it was certainly by 1975. Maybe as early as OPG #2 (1972.)

But #168 was the second most expensive of the Miller Daredevil's within a year of coming out. I guess it wasn't a major key until she started being seen as a major character, but the issue was pretty much always one of the keys of the run.

How long did it take for Martian Manhunter (Detective #225) to be seen as a key? When I started in the '80s it was already singled out, but I don't know how long it had been seen as a key issue?

$4.

Sigh.

I don't know exactly when it was, but it was certainly by 1975. Maybe as early as OPG #2 (1972.)

I hope to buy a VG/F copy eventually. But so many books come to me so often that I doubt it will happen before next year. Stupid budget! I wanna be wealthy!

Hey, most of us are there with ya Pat.

What about oddball characters like Foolkiller that still get bounced around? Man-Thing Vol. 1 #3-4 can be tough to find in high-grade, but the prices are very low for those books.

My guess would be Tomb of Dracula #10...

That's a good one, and I'd also add Amazing Adventures 11 to the conversation.

Amazing Adventures 11? Other than a black cover that makes it difficult to find in HG, and what amounts to a "costume change" for a character around since 1963, I don't attach much importance to that book. I'd put it in the league of Strawberry Shortcake #1.

Oh, there are quite a few buyers and sellers that would differ on the collectibility of AA 11. I know of one seller that has a request out for any copies at minimum 75% of guide, and for high-grade copies 110%.

I'm with you on personal importance, but the demand is high.

$4.

Sigh.

Thanks, I've been curious about that. I knew by 1980 it was much more expensive than surrounding issues.

Oh, there are quite a few buyers and sellers that would differ on the collectibility of AA 11. I know of one seller that has a request out for any copies at minimum 75% of guide, and for high-grade copies 110%.

I'm with you on personal importance, but the demand is high.

People love those beast stories. But way over valued IMO.

$4.

Sigh.

I just checked my Overstreets and here's how it went down in the first 5 editions with the GD/FN/MT listings:

#1: Not broken out: #191-280: 0.50 / 0.60 / 0.75

#2: Broken out, but less than the previous year in MT: 0.70! :insane:

#3: Broken out: 0.60 / 0.90 / 1.20

#4: Not broken out again (but 1st app. noted): #211-230: 1.50 / 2.25 / 3.00

#5: Broken out again: 4.00 / 6.00 / 8.00

$4.

Sigh.

I just checked my Overstreets and here's how it went down in the first 5 editions with the GD/FN/MT listings:

hm

I've got the reprint OPG #1 that OS did in 1993-ish (wish I had an original), and I don't have it in my hands, but I could have sworn it was $4 in that particular reprint guide.

I'll have to check and see!

Thank you for posting that.

The earliest OPG I have in hand is 78.

$4.

Sigh.

Aren't we just an encyclopedia of knowledge ............... :whistle:

$4.

Sigh.

hm

I've got the reprint OPG #1 that OS did in 1993-ish (wish I had an original), and I don't have it in my hands, but I could have sworn it was $4 in that particular reprint guide.

I'll have to check and see!

Thank you for posting that.

The earliest OPG I have in hand is 78.

My #1 is also a reprint; I'm thinking the same edition you have.

$4.

Sigh.

No. Just a hoarder of old Overstreets. :insane:

$4.

Sigh.

Any signed variant editions ? .................... :/

$4.

Sigh.

Any signed variant editions ? .................... :/

:lol:

Well....I guess, but I just don't see Miller's WRITING to be that much of a selling point.

After all, he's like Byrne: far, far more important as an artist. And Byrne's written hundreds, if not thousands, of comics.

This is in opposition to, say, Alan Moore (the very first writer in comics to have "key books" simply because they were written by him), who is known solely as a writer. Neil Gaiman, too.

Maybe there's been a shift, and Miller is regarded as a writer on par with his art, but I don't think so.

I completely disagree with you on that. Miller's artwork is nice enough, but it was his writing that made Daredevil 168-191 and Dark Knight Returns so spectacular. And a couple of the very finest runs of the 1980s are Daredevil Born Again and Batman Year One, neither of which have Miller doing the art.

Did anyone even notice when in the mid-#180s of Daredevil Miller dropped out of the drawing completely and left it all to Klaus Janson?

Now over the last ten years Miller has really starting phoning in his super-hero work. Dark Knight Strikes Again and All Star Batman & Robin are positively painful to read. But in his prime, he gave Alan Moore a serious run for his money.

Well....I guess, but I just don't see Miller's WRITING to be that much of a selling point.

After all, he's like Byrne: far, far more important as an artist. And Byrne's written hundreds, if not thousands, of comics.

This is in opposition to, say, Alan Moore (the very first writer in comics to have "key books" simply because they were written by him), who is known solely as a writer. Neil Gaiman, too.

Maybe there's been a shift, and Miller is regarded as a writer on par with his art, but I don't think so.

I completely disagree with you on that. Miller's artwork is nice enough, but it was his writing that made Daredevil 168-191 and Dark Knight Returns so spectacular. And a couple of the very finest runs of the 1980s are Daredevil Born Again and Batman Year One, neither of which have Miller doing the art.

Did anyone even notice when in the mid-#180s of Daredevil Miller dropped out of the drawing completely and left it all to Klaus Janson?

God, yes!

Now over the last ten years Miller has really starting phoning in his super-hero work. Dark Knight Strikes Again and All Star Batman & Robin are positively painful to read. But in his prime, he gave Alan Moore a serious run for his money.

hm

Alright, fair enough. :)

However...while I agree with you on the quality of Miller's writing in the early to mid 80's....I'm still not convinced that Miller, in the overall scheme of things, is considered to be a better WRITER than ARTIST.

And...keep in mind, Born Again is the only storyline he's written that is desired simply because he wrote it.

Year One is, of course, Batman's origin, and part of that phenomenal run of Batman from 1986-1990.

Moore, on the other hand, is only a writer, and nothing else. Swamp Thing #20 and #21 (and up) are collectible solely because of the writing (yes, the Bissette/Totleben art is stunning, but not why those books are valued.)

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you 98%...but there's still that nagging thought that Frank Miller is a name that carries an "ARTIST" connotation more than "WRITER."

And, originally, because he was already the artist on DD, I really don't believe that his debut as the writer 11 issues later would have made any difference. That's really the point I'm making.

But you're not getting any argument out of me about the brilliance of DKR, Y1 or Born Again. :cloud9:

ASM 5 & 28 are definite KEYS. :makepoint: ask any dealer. :gossip:

ASM #28 is not a "key" per say. PP graduating HS and the Molten Man origin are not earth shattering events in the world of Spidey. It has high value because of a very cool black cover that is hard to find in higher grades.

exactly! and the first appearances of two-bit villains (vulture, scorpion, rhino) aren't keys either. People seem to have this idea that every friggin spidey book is a key and that the first time spidey took a dump should be broken out in guide

:hi: It's all key to me.

On a related note, I'm poring over my reading copies trying to find the first time he got laid. If it's after the wedding issue, I'm dumping my collection. I could never look at him the same way if I found out he didn't tap Gwen before she died.