• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holy Guacamole! Heritage Feb. Auction.

42 posts in this topic

Let me ask you this obvious question as to whether or not Heritage is advising its clients well.

There is 1 seller who's selling around 4 or 5 witchblade covers by michael turner. Now, do you think it makes sense to sell those all at once, or to space them out over a few auctions? I know I can't afford all 5 at once, but over a year or so I probably could swing it. As it is I have 3 weeks to pull together funds to try and score one. Given more time I could swing more.

If you were heritage wouldn't you tell the consignor to space it out?

Amazing pieces all around in this auction. Will be interesting to see if heirtage is also telling it's consignors that their reserves need to reflect current market conditions, general softening of some things, strengthening of others...

B

I think Heritage is in this to make money and often the mentality is to only see what's in front of you (and not think about things long term) -- so if a consignor wants to consign five covers at no reserve, it is of no consequence for Heritage to auction them all in the same auction. I think Heritage is now at a point where they can dictate terms and tell consignors that they are only interested in certain material if there is no reserve. If this is "the end," then it would make sense to get while the gettins still good (so to speak).

We also don't know the motivations of the seller -- maybe they need to sell now. If only you knew who they were -- perhaps you could work out a deal for all five covers and pay them out over a year.

I think at this point, no matter what they do -- it's a gamble. If the consignor consigns now --- there may be numerous bidders for those 5 covers -- if they parse them out over the year, they may or may not do as well.

I think in a stable economy, it would make more sense to sell them one or two at a time...now...who knows...

Spotlight 5 splash... wish I had the extra dough for that :( Any guesses on what it will end at?

10K? Maybe more if the auction wasn't so loaded already.

I'll take the over on that. Not sure how far over, but it's a nice piece of bronze age Marvel history and I don't think it'll come cheap.

Yeah I agree, sadly. 10k sounds too reasonable :(

I agree...if it's a price I would pay it then you know it's too cheap. (thumbs u

C

By no means is this an exhaustive list, but here are some of the other highlights:

Covers

Captain America #207

ASM Annual #14

Iron Man #23, #84

FF #114

Thor #145

Swamp Thing #162

Black Panther #12

FF Annual #11

Marvel Treasury Edition #7

Two-Fisted Tales #33

Splashes

ASM #8 (2nd story)

Swamp Thing #3

Here is the way I see this Heritage auction.

step 1. Prime stuff available, lots of collectors excited.

step 2. Some portion of the items sell and none at a bargin basement price but still pretty decent

step 3. Oh , now I have to pay for it, time to sell some stuff

step 4. More decent stuff on the market that "must" be sold, prices may drop some

Let me ask you this obvious question as to whether or not Heritage is advising its clients well.

There is 1 seller who's selling around 4 or 5 witchblade covers by michael turner. Now, do you think it makes sense to sell those all at once, or to space them out over a few auctions? I know I can't afford all 5 at once, but over a year or so I probably could swing it. As it is I have 3 weeks to pull together funds to try and score one. Given more time I could swing more.

If you were heritage wouldn't you tell the consignor to space it out?

Amazing pieces all around in this auction. Will be interesting to see if heirtage is also telling it's consignors that their reserves need to reflect current market conditions, general softening of some things, strengthening of others...

B

Heritage would probably say that they offer a 6-month installment plan, so in terms of impact on your ability to pay, it's as if they're selling the pieces over 6 months, rather than all at once.

But I agree with you that flooding the market is good for Heritage in the short-term but not in the long-term, and they should reconsider allowing so much to go in just one auction. Of course they may not have any choice because the consignor insists on selling all now.

:bump:

Didn't really care for anything in the Feb. auction, but am looking very forward to their March Illustration Art auction - just a fabulous group of offerings they've assembled for that one. :headbang: