• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Avengers Sketch Cover MEGATHREAD

1,808 posts in this topic

Thank you!

Ok, quick story behind this one. For the charity sketch auctions Par2ch organized a few months back, I had to go out and find books so I could teach myself how to draw. I started at the bottom by picking up a "How to draw Marvel Characters" from a used book store. The book was definitely intended for younger artists, but suited me perfectly.

Jump forward a few months later. Sally and I were lucky enough to get a sketch from George Perez. Sally decided that she wanted to contribute to my Green Goblin collection, so she asked me for a DA blank and a reference. I gave her a blank, but I didn't have my album of references on me, so she grabs the "How to Draw" book for a picture inside. The look that George Perez gave Sally when she handed him a "How to Draw Marvel Characters" book was priceless. :roflmao:

George Perez:

DarkAvengers1-PerezGoblin.jpg

Special Thanks to Chandler and Sharon for the opportunity to get this one added to my Army. (worship)

DarkAvengers1-RomitaGoblin.jpg

Adam... is that JRSR a member of the army, or it's new general? :baiting:

It's definitely one of my best and drawn by an iconic Goblin artist. :cloud9:

Here's another by Humberto Ramos and Laura Martin:

DarkAvengers1-RamosGoblin.jpg

Adam... is that JRSR a member of the army, or it's new general? :baiting:

It's definitely one of my best and drawn by an iconic Goblin artist. :cloud9:

Second one after DITKO! :headbang:

I really want to get a Ramos some day, but I think my eyes are bigger than my budget! lol

Now, is it me or this Laura Martin getting a lot of forum "press" as I seem to recall her name attached to a lot of these books as a colorist? I mean, the work is looking consistently solid, so it makes sense. I'm just curious what work has she done before?

Now, is it me or this Laura Martin getting a lot of forum "press" as I seem to recall her name attached to a lot of these books as a colorist? I mean, the work is looking consistently solid, so it makes sense. I'm just curious what work has she done before?

Laura Martin was the colorist for both the Secret Invasion and Astonishing X-men. She's got plenty of other professional credits, but these are the two that I know her best for. I thought the Whedon/Cassaday run of Astonishing X-men was excellent and it was one of the titles that got me back into collecting after a several year break.

I knew she colored sketches at shows, but I never got the chance to take her up on it until the Dragon Con where I took several of my sketches to her. I dropped off 8-10 sketches with her over the course of the 4-day show and I tended to show them off as I got them back.

When I saw her a few weeks ago the Baltimore con, I dropped off a few more and she told me that most of her business from the Dragon Con came from people saying "Some guy showed me his Green Goblin/Wolverine/Gambit that you colored. Can you color mine?" She said that shows like the Dragon Con are usually very slow for her but this year it ended up being one of her more lucrative shows. She thanked me for showing off the sketches and sending business her way. :acclaim: I think she did an awesome job on all of them and she's very nice, always greeting fans with a big smile. Laura Martin gets 2 thumbs up in my book. (thumbs u (thumbs u

What Adam said; Laura is among the nicest you'll meet in the industry!

She always does top-notch work. I know this is totally not the right home for this but I just wanted to give Laura more credit where it's due. This is a sketch cover that Laura was nice enough to color in for me; I think it turned out amazing!

captainamericarebornsketchvariantcg.jpg

Here's another the thecollector helped me get. I really like the style, very unique.

Mitch Breitweiser:

DarkAvengers1-BreitweiserGoblin.jpg

Adam... I just noticed in your sig line that you're a witness now? When did that happen?

Also--I think it's time for you to get a CAF Gallery (if you haven't already) and begin posting your GG Sketch covers there. :sumo::grin:

Way ahead of ya, Forrest. (thumbs u

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=39368

And they made me a witness during the San Diego show. I've been doing my best to help others out since then as I've taken submissions to Dragon Con, Mid-Ohio, Baltimore, and the Nashville horror show. :banana: