• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Avengers Sketch Cover MEGATHREAD

1,808 posts in this topic

Thanks again to Jesse (Fingerprint.ink) for making this one a reality. (worship)

DarkAvengers1-CrainGoblin.jpg

I would love to see like a top ten goblins post from you.............would that one make it?

Here we go! In no particular order, a top 10 Green Goblin sketches acquired during 2009:

Anthony Castrillo (Marvel1985 on the boards) - I got this one during the first sketch opportunity Brian offered up. Back then, there were only about 5 people who signed up. Now people are banging down his door:

DarkAvengers1-CastrilloGoblin.jpg

Clayton Crain - Jesse (Fingerprint.ink) got this for me at a small show later in the year. From what I understand, Clayton isn't the fastest sketcher around so he didn't get to many that day, but I owe Jesse big since this one came out so nice. I love the demonic look:

DarkAvengers1-CrainGoblin.jpg

Bill Dinh - Bill (Billy the Kidd) had already done a few sketches before he got to mine, including a Green Goblin for Chainnball, which caused me to start bugging him on a daily basis until I was able to meet Bill for the first time at WWPhilly and onsite this bad boy. So much detail!:

DarkAvengers1-DinhGoblin.jpg

Marko Djurdjevic (colors by Alex Sinclaire) - 1 of only 2 sketches in my Goblin collection that wasn't commissioned especially for me. I saw someone turning this in for grading at NYCC and I knew it had to be mine. Little did I know at the time that I was talking with Mike (Mr. Mylar on the boards), a great guy and fellow sketch enthusiast.

DarkAvengers1-DjurdjevicGoblin.jpg

Steve Epting - Steve was at SDCC last year and he typically gets Captain America-related requests, so he was excited to get my request. He said he grew up drawing Spider-man and he was looking forward to doing this for me. My only regret was not being able to pick this up in person since I had to get to the airport. Luckily, thecollector had me covered:

EptingGoblin.jpg

John Romita - In my mind, John Romita was the artist who really developed the Green Goblin as a compelling character, so I had to get a sketch for my collection. I asked for a split-face Norman/Goblin sketch to compliment my Peter/Spidey sketch and it came out better than I could have hoped for. Thanks again to Chandler and Sharon for making this happen!:

DarkAvengers1-RomitaGoblin.jpg

Freddie Williams II - I wanted a sketch styled after the famous Killing Joke cover but featuring the Green Goblin. I gave Freddie a reference and the idea and he really seemed to have a good time doing it (although I've never seen him at a show without a smile on his face :) )

DarkAvengers1-WilliamsGoblin.jpg

Doug Mahnke - What can I say, I really like the way this one came out. JonJesper got this for me and told me that he wasn't referencing the cover to "The Man Who Laughs", but he seemed to be channeling it. I agree. What do you think?

DarkAvengers1-MahnkeGoblin.jpg

Herb Trimpe - Herb is a heckuva nice guy and he doesn't seem to get too many requests outside of Hulk and Wolverine, so he seemed happy to do this one for me. For never drawing the Green Goblin before, he did a great job!:

DarkAvengers1-TrimpeGoblin.jpg

Dave Finch - The one that started it all...Dave did an AWESOME job on this one and it was the only Goblin I got during NYCC. Seeing Par2ch's Cap collection made me want to start a similar collection with a character that isn't a common request. Dave's awesome job made the decision very easy:

DarkAvengers1-FinchGoblin.jpg

That was tougher than I expected. There are so many others that easily deserve to be in the top 10. Kaare Andrew, Jim Cheung, Tony Moore, Joe Jusko...so many good artists! It's been a good year and I hope that I can do it again in 2010. :wishluck:

...I have one question...

Why is it they're all on Dark Avenger sketch covers? Are those just your fave blanks, or is there more too it?

Dude, the leader of the Dark Avengers is Norman Osborn, aka the Iron Patriot aka The Green Goblin.

I totally forgot that! :o

Makes sense now... I don't know how I forgot that, lol.

...I have one question...

Why is it they're all on Dark Avenger sketch covers? Are those just your fave blanks, or is there more too it?

Dude, the leader of the Dark Avengers is Norman Osborn, aka the Iron Patriot aka The Green Goblin.