• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2 Black Lanterns revealed - spoileris

60 posts in this topic

In the latest issue he was being asked to go Blue, but ended up as a Red Lantern in the end.

:o

It's true.

It's going to lead to some pretty fancy writing to get Jordan back to the green, or any other colour, as they've indicated that while not quite dead, RLs die if you take away their ring since it's just the red power that sustains them.

Between that and having E2 Supes and MM come back as BLs...i'm really starting to question where the whole Blackest Night is going to go. I love Johns' writing but these most recent issues and adverts seem to be leaning toward either the best piece of hero comic writing in a decade or a horrible 'ex machina' ending to the story.

glad i didn't read the issue last night. doh I figured people would leave the spoilers at who some black lanterns were, not Hal going red.

I love Johns' writing but these most recent issues and adverts seem to be leaning toward either the best piece of hero comic writing in a decade or a horrible 'ex machina' ending to the story.

Like a giant yellow fear monster?

I love Johns' writing but these most recent issues and adverts seem to be leaning toward either the best piece of hero comic writing in a decade or a horrible 'ex machina' ending to the story.

Well ya see...he put that all together pretty well. (for me, anyway)

So that's why I have some hope for this despite some initial misgivings.

So far, I've really enjoyed the concept of different colored factions. But a couple complaints.

Johns is my jam. But one issue has been his regurgitation of old characters. In some respects, this is his greatest assets. In others, it's questionable. For instance, the Sinestro Corp was a line-up of some lame 80s and 90s villians. Cyborg Superman, Superboy Prime, Anti-Monitor, etc. His writing is good enough to make it work, but it wasn't my favorite cast. I'm afraid the Black Lanterns will be the same thing. In all honesty, there aren't a whole lot of dead characters I'm yearning to see back. My hope is that they create some characters we haven't seen. Sinestro even had his fear-based version of Kilowog (yellow version of Kilowog). My favorites have been the really oddball characters.

I'm not too down with the Purple Lanterns. Way too hokey for me. I'm a bit cautious on the Blue Lanterns too. But it's so new that I need to give it a chance. I wish that good & evil would break out of the sterotypical roles. Evil is Black & Red that involves Death and Rage & Fear. Good is White and a light Blue that represents Hope. Mix it up and make Death a cause of good.

I'm afraid that things are built too quickly. It's my biggest beef with how the Sinestro Corp was developed. In one issue, they were a full-fledge group with their own lantern. This seems to be the case with the Red now too. The Black Lanterns seem to be progressing along the right path (a building process). I'd love to have seen the Sinestro Corp as a slow recruitment process. I guess we are seeing a bit of this with the Blue Lanterns.

What series are these stories contained in? I'm suitably intrigued, but I have no idea where to jump on board.

If you pick up GL and GLC going back the Sinestor Corp War arc and read on from there you should be able to get all the back story and current events.

I'm afraid that things are built too quickly. It's my biggest beef with how the Sinestro Corp was developed. In one issue, they were a full-fledge group with their own lantern. This seems to be the case with the Red now too. The Black Lanterns seem to be progressing along the right path (a building process). I'd love to have seen the Sinestro Corp as a slow recruitment process. I guess we are seeing a bit of this with the Blue Lanterns.

good observation. didn't even notice this. not sure if its because im a Marvel fan reading a good DC series.

good observation. didn't even notice this. not sure if its because im a Marvel fan reading a good DC series.

It was a bit rushed, but he seems to be setting things up a bit better now with even the Blue and Sapphire Lanterns now. This was my biggest beef with the way he ended GL Rebirth - everything was resolved too fast - but I guess when you have a limited number of issues/months to do things that happens. He has ahd over a year to build up the story for Blackest Night, as well as a couple of kicks at the cat (including his arc in Action that was supposed to be a great read), so I am optimistic that the result will be better with this go round.

At the least, it will give DC a chance to undo some of the mess that Morrison has made with his crappy Final Crisis storyline.

Well ya see...he put that all together pretty well. (for me, anyway)

So that's why I have some hope for this despite some initial misgivings.

I actually liked Rebirth too, but the Paralax monster was my least favorite part of it. Johns is one of my favorites and he even made the yellow fear monster story enjoyable. I don't like the green Ion whale thing either for what it's worth.

On a side note I hope Flash Rebirth is worth another cancelling and relaunch of Flash.

Speaking of Flash Rebirth, is Johns picking up Flash again after the mini is done?

I REALLY, REALLY hope so. Honestly, his run on Flash was so great.

It's interesting to see how great of a writer Johns is. Flash was doing so-so before he took over. It did take some time to build in interest. But once people caught on, the series seemed to blossom. Unforunately, it didn't seem like he was on the title much longer after that (probably feels that way because of Identity & Infinite Crisis going on at the time). But once he left, the book has been subpar since (and clearly sales being marginal).

I think we're seeing the same progression with Green Lantern. A lot of people bought #1 after the success of Rebirth. But the series wasn't as strong at the beginning and the interest seemed to subside. Johns began driving seemingly unrelated plots and we've arrived to this point today. Though I didn't care for the Sinestro Corp rising so quickly, it was probably necessary due to the earlier lack of interest (and probably so-so sales). The success of the Sinestro Corp is likely why he has the opportunity to slowly build Blackest Night. Coming back to the point, I hope this doesn't signal that Johns may be leaving the book soon (relatively speaking). On the flipside, who would they have him tackle next? Aquaman? And would the same thing happen to Green Lantern as it did with Flash: cancellations and lower interest? I'm inclined to think it would dip greatly but have a higher flowing than Flash due to Johns' story development.

I WISH this guy did some more Marvel stuff. His Avengers issues are sorely underrated. Especially since it was before Bendis' Disassembled. But they were very solid reads (coming from someone who could have cared less about the Avengers before Johns' run). If this guy can make Action Comics as interesting as it is, this guy is the real deal and I want to see him on some Marvel books. What would he do with Spider-man? That would be a FANTASTIC treat (likely similar to Flash in terms of varied villians). Or the Fantastic Four?

Pat

It is starting to get very interesting in the GL universe right now. Hal appears to be the central figure for all of the emotions right now. In the latest issue he was being asked to go Blue, but ended up as a Red Lantern in the end. My guess is that he will be the "White" Lantern (or White Knight) at the end of everything that saves the day.

I really liked the comments by Sinestro re: Hal destroying the Guardians at some point. It looks like they are setting things up for some of the Guardians to start picking color sides to be on (one has already been corrupted......).

Re Ion: Let's correct it - the current Ion = Wuss. For someone who is supposed to be nearly as powerful as Superman he sure gets wailed on a lot (ingnoring the fact that a Grade 1 student with a lead pencil can kill him as well lol ).

It is also nice to see the E2 Supes as a Black Lantern. My hope is that he will have a nice showdown with Superboy-man Prime.

In any case, it looks like Geoff Johns is setting things up for a wild ride! (thumbs u

Hal turns red in the last GL issue? Which #?

Finished reading #37.

When I heard he turned red on the boards, I was thinking it was going to be lame. But Johns did a great job on this book. The "death" was great too. Got to wonder if this dead Red Lantern will now be a Black Lantern!

More exposure to the Blue Lanterns and I'm leaning toward the positive side.

Pat

Finished reading #37.

When I heard he turned red on the boards, I was thinking it was going to be lame. But Johns did a great job on this book. The "death" was great too. Got to wonder if this dead Red Lantern will now be a Black Lantern!

More exposure to the Blue Lanterns and I'm leaning toward the positive side.

Pat

If Laira becomes a Black Lantern then that will make 3 colors she's been through. If she makes it to each maybe she will turn into a White Lantern?

If Laira becomes a Black Lantern then that will make 3 colors she's been through. If she makes it to each maybe she will turn into a White Lantern?

Don't know about that.

Hard to be hopeful when you're dead.

Don't know about that.

Isnt being dead a prerequisite to being a black lantern?

Don't know about that.

Right.

She started Green. Went Red and being dead now would be an excellent candidate for Black.

But I can't see her jumping to any of the other colours since they all hinge on being alive and having an emotion. I'd think Hope(Blue) or Greed(Orange) would be pretty hard to come by as a dead person.

But I'm no expert.

Don't know about that.

Right.

She started Green. Went Red and being dead now would be an excellent candidate for Black.

But I can't see her jumping to any of the other colours since they all hinge on being alive and having an emotion. I'd think Hope(Blue) or Greed(Orange) would be pretty hard to come by as a dead person.

But I'm no expert.

true true, I wonder if black lanterns are dead or are they "brought back to life" somehow