• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An OPEN PLEA to everyone in TEXAS or close to Texas

27 posts in this topic

With Wizard World Texas now gone we are left with the Dallas Comic Con as our only option for conventions in North Texas.

I wouldn't really say that the DCC is the largest in the state, if it isn't, it's close as we have very few options in Texas.

Now, the problem with the DCC is that promoter that started it, Ben Stevens is officially associated with Lucasfilm in a small capacity and he relies on someone else to put together the comic cons.

Ben doesn't know anything about comics, nor does he care about them which makes it difficult for the person he is relying on to advance the DCC into something that it should be.

Part of the problem is that Ben frequents the DCC message boards trolling for info about whether the comic cons are going to be successful. The message boards are 95% sci-fi fanboys that care nothing about comics and are only interested in "media guests" and the Lucasfilm sponsored even that Ben does once a year.

Because of this, Ben, out of short-sightedness, is under the assumption that NO ONE cares anything about comics or Comic Cons and that they only care about meeting some 3rd rate actor that wore a mask for 10 seconds in a lousy Star Wars prequel.

SO. My plea is... if you are a comics fan living in Texas, or anywhere close to Texas PLEASE occassionally stop by the Dallas Comic Con forum and let them know that COMIC fans go to COMIC CONS and we don't care about "Imperial Guard No. 3" and who wore that costume.

Until Ben starts seeing that comic fans are getting involved in the DCC forum then it's going to be business as usual. I've known Ben for nearly 20 years of him doing cons and I know how stubborn he can be.

Feel free to visit any time at:

http://scifiexpo.proboards52.com/index.cgi

Thanks guys!

Paging bhhooks22, Dallas businessman extraordianire...help out your Lone Star state. Take this guy out to eat at Chili's and put some comic sense in him, Mindworm style if need be. :whistle:

hm ..Where can I get that autograph of that 3rd rate actor from "Imperial guard"? ..... :whistle:

Paging bhhooks22, Dallas businessman extraordianire...help out your Lone Star state. Take this guy out to eat at Chili's and put some comic sense in him, Mindworm style if need be. :whistle:

hm ..Where can I get that autograph of that 3rd rate actor from "Imperial guard"? ..... :whistle:

:hail:

Don't encourage him. (tsk)

:P

:whistle:

I'll call you after Lost...

Ben doesn't know anything about comics, nor does he care about them which makes it difficult for the person he is relying on to advance the DCC into something that it should be.... 95% sci-fi fanboys that care nothing about comics and are only interested in "media guests" and the Lucasfilm sponsored even that Ben does once a year... Because of this, Ben, out of short-sightedness, is under the assumption that NO ONE cares anything about comics or Comic Cons and that they only care about meeting some 3rd rate actor that wore a mask for 10 seconds in a lousy Star Wars prequel.

Sounds like "Ben" really wants to run a Star Wars Con instead of a Comic Con, and I doubt the problem is "short-sightedness" or lack of vocal support.

People often find the answers they are looking for.

My first Con that I attended was the DCC when I was 16, it was in downtown Dallas,and I was in heaven. I remember it being at the old Ramada (I think). I spent hours trading, and buying, and selling. This was before the hey-day of video games and comics ruled!!!! I attended that one DCC, and was going to go to this one with my son but he passed away. He had recently cought the comic bug.So if you are reading this please RUN to the DCC and tell them COMICS ARE NOT DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(but Star Wars is cool too)

...are there going to be a good clutch of Comic dealers and vendors there? I can't seem to find a listing of comic book folks. Just that there are "100s of vendors", which could mean comics, could mean other stuff.

I agree...I want the comic stuff....not so much the other media and star wars stuff, especially now that Texas seems to be an island now....

Eggman.

Ben doesn't know anything about comics, nor does he care about them which makes it difficult for the person he is relying on to advance the DCC into something that it should be.... 95% sci-fi fanboys that care nothing about comics and are only interested in "media guests" and the Lucasfilm sponsored even that Ben does once a year... Because of this, Ben, out of short-sightedness, is under the assumption that NO ONE cares anything about comics or Comic Cons and that they only care about meeting some 3rd rate actor that wore a mask for 10 seconds in a lousy Star Wars prequel.

Sounds like "Ben" really wants to run a Star Wars Con instead of a Comic Con, and I doubt the problem is "short-sightedness" or lack of vocal support.

People often find the answers they are looking for.

Trust me JC it's a long standing problem. I'd have to type for a solid hour to fully explain it but I won't bore you with the details.

The short of it is... Ever since the Dallas Fantasy Fair ended (which was at one time the #3 or 4 con in the country, it was hot when McFarlene was hot) Ben has had an opportunity to pick up the slack in comic cons. Prior to comics Ben only did sci-fi cons and he only did those because it became an outlet for him to get autographs. He collects autographs. It also gave him an "in" with Lucasfilm because he is now the "official" rep for people like Carrie Fisher.

The guy who handles the comic cons for him was involve with the Fantasy Fair and struggles with Ben constantly. Unfortunately it's been a long struggle.

What is the best comic show in Texas at this point? I can't believe a market as big as Dallas or Houston can't support a big show?

Honestly. This is it. You may recall a conversation I had with you though at WWTX about future plans. Maybe not.

...are there going to be a good clutch of Comic dealers and vendors there? I can't seem to find a listing of comic book folks. Just that there are "100s of vendors", which could mean comics, could mean other stuff.

I agree...I want the comic stuff....not so much the other media and star wars stuff, especially now that Texas seems to be an island now....

Eggman.

100s really would be an overstatement. But there will be some quality dealers there. Mainly me and Stronguy. ;)

Seriously though. There are some good guys that do set up everytime and the prices are usually within reason.

Screw comics. Anybody from Texas coming to Wondercon and willing to bring me some Blue Bell Homestyle Vanilla Ice Cream?

Not going to Wondercon but I do have some Blue Bell Vanilla in my freezer. Mmmmm, good.