• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AF 15 sells for $80k

24 posts in this topic

Yeah,I have that,and the beautiful Marvel masterworks hardcover, with the nice dust jacket!

It's a shame that the Marvel "Essentials" are not in full colour!

Those reprint series like Marvel SuperHeroes ect.. are great,affordable comics,and i've gotten to read stories that I may never have,thanks to them.Sorry got a little off topic there :insane:

priker

lol .... I posted this in May 2004.

"I remember seeing AF 15s in 7.0 and 7.5 being listed for 6000 to 8000 last year on comiclink. Over the last month a 7.0 sold for 10000, a 7.5 sold for 16000+. Even 5.5s are selling for 5000 to 7000 on comiclink and ebay. The same jumps seem to have happened to FF1. Comiclink has a 6.0 up for 8000+. Did I miss something or am I just wrong about these jumps??????? "

Who would have thunk what AF 15s are going for today

yeah. its really unfathomable based on all our years of watching pricing how far and fast this book has come of late. Id be curious to see data as to just how many copies above 7.0 have come to market in the last three years. It may be that there were not that many but a huge list of available buyers for a nice copy! That would explain the huge bidding wars that started this run up (Comic-Connects 7.0 at $40K), that are no longer necessary as the price levels are now built into our conciousness when they appear on Comiclink and other consignment sites.

While these nosebleed prices are astonishing for books that while very attractive aren't all that uncommon in the mid-high grades - I would guess that AF #15 is currently the Ultimate Grail for a lot more collectors than is Action #1.

While these nosebleed prices are astonishing for books that while very attractive aren't all that uncommon in the mid-high grades - I would guess that AF #15 is currently the Ultimate Grail for a lot more collectors than is Action #1.

I'd wager that would be hard to prove. Since 7.0 or better copies of Action 1 rarely surface, and sales of any of the known high grade copies just don't happen, it is not an apt comparison to make in my opinion.

Float a couple out there and watch the cash registers ring.

I'd wager that would be hard to prove. Since 7.0 or better copies of Action 1 rarely surface, and sales of any of the known high grade copies just don't happen, it is not an apt comparison to make in my opinion.

Did that PGX 9.0 copy sell? I never heard if it did or not.

I not doubting the demand for Action #1 - and it likely will always be THE top dollar book, but for many of todays collectors (notably Marvel fans), the Golden Age is ancient history - important history - but not that relevant to what they read now. Whereas much of todays continuity is more firmly rooted in the SIlver Age. The general affordability of Silver Age in some sort of grade - and that there are multiple copies of keys in some sort of "high" grade works to keep interest in collecting the era.

While the respect for Action #1 will always be there - I'm surmising that for a larger pool of collectors AF #15 would be considered the corner stone to their collection, and therefore more desired (in the real world sense - not the what would you rather find in your attic for resale sense).

For myself, I'm far more fascinated with the GA than the SA and I'd rather have a low grade Action #1 than a higher grade AF #15 of comparable value, but neither book is what I would call a personal grail.

An Amazing Fantasy (or 10) sell on eBay every week. An Action #1 (in any grade) changes hands a handful of times a year- if we're lucky. T

An Amazing Fantasy (or 10) sell on eBay every week. An Action #1 (in any grade) changes hands a handful of times a year- if we're lucky. T

How many of these Ebay auctions are fake?most of them would be my guess (shrug)

Between ebay, and auction houses. 10 copies per week is probably modest. AF15's are everywhere even if 2 auctions are fakes, there are 8 legitimate auctions.

That being said. Action 1 is the first superhero comic and rushed in the GA of comics. AF15 is argueably the most popular character todays first appearance, and a grail to many Marvel collectors. If you are to compare it wouldnt work, only for 1 reason. AF15 did not rush in the "marvel age of comics" FF1 did. Spidey has just become a more popular character then FF. Therefore the true comparison is Action 1 or FF1??

However AF15 s many,many comic collectors grail. Not mine by any stretch (too boring), but one of the most sought after books in comic history.

I know the difference between a scam auction and a real one. It's not uncommon to see 5 AF 15s on eBay in a week.

I run a feature on my site which lists the top $$ ebay sale of the week. Browse through and see how often it's an AF15. I've been joking about how I'm sick of posting them, since they're so common.

Bill,

What would your guess be for an Action 1 cgc 7.0?

in this climate (for comics at least) an unrestored action #1 in 7.0 might set the $$ record for a comic book. A 6.5 sold for something like $250,000 a couple of years ago so it wouldn't shock me if a .5 grade bump and two years would add $100,000+ to that number.

in this climate (for comics at least) an unrestored action #1 in 7.0 might set the $$ record for a comic book. A 6.5 sold for something like $250,000 a couple of years ago so it wouldn't shock me if a .5 grade bump and two years would add $100,000+ to that number.

That is one auction I would LOVE to see live? Just to watch people really throw down to get that book!

Watching scarce key books go to auction is just awesome, and I love seeing what the final price is.

That seems like a reasonable number.But anything can happen at auction of course.

That seems like a reasonable number.But anything can happen at auction of course.

Gator could do a better job than me at guessing at the top of the market than I could, since he swims in those waters.

But I would imagine Rob is not too far off.