• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,472 posts in this topic

On 9/22/2024 at 6:56 AM, ghn999 said:

Sadly no. Hoping he show up today!! 

Sorry, he’s not coming today. A shame, glad he made it to Portsmouth. Sitting on line waiting to rob Paulson and cam Clark and then driving home. Will post my pick ups later tonight or tomorrow night when I get a chance to unpack and organize. 

On 9/23/2024 at 4:43 PM, jaybuck43 said:

So, got home late last night, unpacked and passed out.  LONGGG day.  O well.  It was a fun weekend, but I will say, the show really lost a lot of the charm it used to have.  This year they expanded to a third location, so the con is split amongst three parts.  The Expo center, which had the majority of vendors along with some celebrity guests (Amy Jo Johnson, John Rhyes-Davies, Cal Dodd) etc. The Annex, where the artists were, and the SNHU arena, which is across the street.  There, they had the TMNT movie and voice actors, along with more vendors.  Each time you went from one location to another, you had to go through security (bag check and metal detector).  This was NOT good, because there were long lines to go through, slowing things down.  And it was ONE line, so those of us with VIP had to wait with single day people.  Another annoyance was how they handled the groups of movie and TV shows.  I had my TMNT #1 movie poster and a limited edition Mondo poster from SDCC to get signed.  You had to wait on EACH actors line one at a time.  So you would wait for Rob Paulson, then get on another line for Barry, etc.  They would have to take breaks to go to panels or photos etc.  It was a mess.  They should have just done one line for all 4 (or 6 with the movie actors) and just walk down and get whoever you want or don't).  

I can't post pictures of the posters I had signed, too big to photograph.  Other than that, here's what I picked up.  First up my original "Back from the sewers" Gameboy from a kid.  Steve had some fun with this and defaced Kev's turtle head.  Love it! Also had them sign my NES copy of the Arcade game.  Good times.  I was able to add to my Omnibus.  I've gotten a bunch of artists to each do a Casey Head.  So we have Freddie Williams, Chris Allen, Jim Lawson, Frank Fosco, Dan Bergery, Steve Lavigne, Michael Dooney, Eric Talbot, Kevin Eastman, Mark Bode, and Ken Mitchrooney.  I picked up from Kevin Steve's original color's from Bodycount.  Grabbed a super shredder from Aaron Hazouri.  Not sure if everyone knows who he is, but he's a fan artist who got really good and now does some of the stuff for NECA.  I like his style.  Gotta break this up into another post cause too many big attachments I guess.  

IMG_9392.jpeg

IMG_9393.jpeg

IMG_9395.jpeg

IMG_9402.jpg

IMG_9396.jpeg

A+A+ heartfelt dedication. mercy me

On 9/23/2024 at 5:43 PM, jaybuck43 said:

So, got home late last night, unpacked and passed out.  LONGGG day.  O well.  It was a fun weekend, but I will say, the show really lost a lot of the charm it used to have.  This year they expanded to a third location, so the con is split amongst three parts.  The Expo center, which had the majority of vendors along with some celebrity guests (Amy Jo Johnson, John Rhyes-Davies, Cal Dodd) etc. The Annex, where the artists were, and the SNHU arena, which is across the street.  There, they had the TMNT movie and voice actors, along with more vendors.  Each time you went from one location to another, you had to go through security (bag check and metal detector).  This was NOT good, because there were long lines to go through, slowing things down.  And it was ONE line, so those of us with VIP had to wait with single day people.  Another annoyance was how they handled the groups of movie and TV shows.  I had my TMNT #1 movie poster and a limited edition Mondo poster from SDCC to get signed.  You had to wait on EACH actors line one at a time.  So you would wait for Rob Paulson, then get on another line for Barry, etc.  They would have to take breaks to go to panels or photos etc.  It was a mess.  They should have just done one line for all 4 (or 6 with the movie actors) and just walk down and get whoever you want or don't).  

I can't post pictures of the posters I had signed, too big to photograph.  Other than that, here's what I picked up.  First up my original "Back from the sewers" Gameboy from a kid.  Steve had some fun with this and defaced Kev's turtle head.  Love it! Also had them sign my NES copy of the Arcade game.  Good times.  I was able to add to my Omnibus.  I've gotten a bunch of artists to each do a Casey Head.  So we have Freddie Williams, Chris Allen, Jim Lawson, Frank Fosco, Dan Bergery, Steve Lavigne, Michael Dooney, Eric Talbot, Kevin Eastman, Mark Bode, and Ken Mitchrooney.  I picked up from Kevin Steve's original color's from Bodycount.  Grabbed a super shredder from Aaron Hazouri.  Not sure if everyone knows who he is, but he's a fan artist who got really good and now does some of the stuff for NECA.  I like his style.  Gotta break this up into another post cause too many big attachments I guess.  

IMG_9395.jpeg

That Lavigne Casey is awesome.

WHEW!  It's been a busy couple of weeks.  I'm finally getting in and settled from last week's Granite State Comic Con.  I didn't see a thread on the show in the events section, so I'm just going to dump some photos here instead since it has mostly become a TMNT-centric show anyway.  :)

For the last 2 years, it had been a 3-day show but for some reason they reduced this year to a 2-day show.  However, they also had a "Preview Night" from 3p-8p on Friday.  This came free with any VIP badge but you could buy access as a $20 add-on to any general admission badge.  Preview night was the way to go if you're at the show for the artists.  I'd estimate 80% of the artists were there on Friday (with Eastman being the notable exception) and there weren't really any lines to speak of.  All the artists were very accessible and it was a good day to set up commissions.  Notably, Michael Dooney (who I visit at shows whenever I can) had a stack of TMNT cartridges for the NES.  I must have gotten there early because there were 8 of them still.  I spoke with him the next day and he said they sold very quickly.  I'm glad I didn't hesitate:

IMG_6900.thumb.jpg.7dd2e5afb5508e153b25b47bf4af14e3.jpg

I'm sure people here know, but for the uninitiated, Dooney provided the art used for the cover/label of this game.  Over on Facebook, he posted a cool group shot of all of them.  After how this show went, I'm guessing he's going to be visiting his local retro game stores and ebay for cheap carts for sketching purposes.  Here's the groupshot:

IMG_6897.thumb.jpg.0a2a46f9c4bbebfb5edf85c3cdb1d5b5.jpg

On Saturday, the rest of the artists arrived.  I set things up with a few that weren't there the day before and then headed over to the new area.  For the first time, the show expanded into the SHNU arena that was on the opposite side of the intersection from the hotel where the rest of the show takes place.  They used the arena for extra vendor space and this is also where the TMNT actors and animated voice actors were.  Exceptions were Amy Jo Johnson (pink Ranger), John Rhys Davies, and Cal Dodd (Wolverine voice), who were all in the expo center which is in the hotel but separate from the arena.  Anyway, here's a wide shot of the arena on Saturday:

Look, I don't know why the site imports some photos rotated 180 degrees, but I don't know how to fix it.  Just turn your monitor or something. 

IMG_6762.thumb.jpg.ff67869835f0e38f1b17b71f44592bb3.jpg

If you squint, you can see the tables for Hoag, Rist, Scott, Tochi, Reyes Jr., and Chau from the live action movies along the back.  Kevin Nash had to back out due to recovering from a back surgery.  They also had the 4 turtle voice actors from the '87 cartoon.

Here's an inverted Mouser:

IMG_6765.thumb.jpg.95f56b517e292a1c5b24604bbe883f0c.jpg

A balloon Mikey that was like 12' tall.  This was right next to Judith Hoag's table:

IMG_6768.thumb.PNG.e28c8d1fc90d75cd40866be06c3df477.PNG

Once I was done in the arena, I headed back to the Armory (basically Artist Alley) and it was CRAZY!  It was busier than any previous year I've attended.  Every artist had a line and I could barely move around.  I ended up bailing around 1pm and just didn't go back that day.

After the show on Saturday, a local theater hosted a panel and screening for the 1990 TMNT movie.  After likely crossing paths at least a half-dozen times in the last few years, I finally met up with @jaybuck43.  He kicked me in the nuts (now I know why) and then we watched the movie.  It was a good time.  The panel was there answering questions for about an hour before leaving.  The theater provided free pizza:

IMG_6772.thumb.jpg.30b22035c79c727b21900f1143f90ccc.jpg

IMG_6778.thumb.jpg.9de2925f242e6c1a9f336503f4509d81.jpg

IMG_6788.thumb.jpg.ff95e66f8d90089beeca72bf410c290c.jpg

Such a good movie!

I went back on Sunday and as I approached the Armory, a volunteer told me that the VIP's had filled the Eastman line and it was capped for the morning session.  This is BEFORE general admission was even allowed in.  I staked out a spot in line while he was at his panels and photo ops.  Once he got back, it was pretty quick to get through the line.  I'll mention that just like his appearance in Portsmouth earlier this year, he was limiting people to 5 items.  I miss the days where he'd sign as many books as you wanted for free, but I realize that makes me sound like the guy who misses buying hamburgers for a nickel.  At the same time, I'm happy he's making excellent money doing these shows. 

I also stopped by Steve Lavigne's table (which has gotten increasingly busy this year).  I picked up a cool print and a new hat:

IMG_6909.thumb.jpg.2418008806d168e1b646173ca6246838.jpgIMG_6910.thumb.jpg.04161ed86efad77052261ca13f1252ff.jpg

I'll have some cool books to share when they come back from grading. 

Oh man, those Dooney sketches are really good. 

I'm happy to hear Steve's table is getting busier. I feel like he's starting to get more recognition for his contributions in the early days.

On 9/27/2024 at 7:58 PM, Ryan. said:

Oh man, those Dooney sketches are really good. 

I'm happy to hear Steve's table is getting busier. I feel like he's starting to get more recognition for his contributions in the early days.

I agree!  I think he's doing well by bringing more things to the show to buy than before.  He had 3 varieties of hats like the one above along with skateboard decks, original art, production art, sketchcovers, prints and now some of the variant covers he's been working on with the Saturday Morning Adventures line.  And I think leaning into the artwork for the TMNT II arcade game for the NES is a smart move.  It's a very recognizable piece of TMNT art that he was responsible for. 

I did pick up a sketch cover from his binder that I felt was particularly well-done:

GreatLakesLavigneMikey.thumb.jpg.21c8c48f2ad2720a92b8f0b7f3676e6e.jpg

I'll also mention since many have asked...Peter Laird did NOT make an appearance like he did last year.  Too bad, but it makes his appearance at the Portsmouth show in April just that much more special. 

I genuinely don't remember where I got this blank, but it was in one of my comic drawers for YEARS and I didn't know what I was going to do with it.  Ultimately, I gave it to Eric Talbot and told him I didn't have anything specific in mind and that he should do something with the Ghostbusters theme and do something Ghost/Ghoul/Zombie related.  He nailed it and the colors are really great on it!

CGCTalbotEric-ZombieRaphaelTMNT-TMNTGhostbusters2.thumb.jpg.a8189eedf828da084fa9e17d2af44707.jpg