• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Thread
24 24

8,489 posts in this topic

On 10/15/2024 at 11:04 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I finally own 2 graded video games, CGC, and admittedly there is a "lot" of information on the label. I don't pretend to know it all, but both came back 9.0 but with different criteria in grades to average, if that is even possible when determining the "final label grade?" I don't really know what I'm reading, and without definitive or terms, I'd be lost let alone able to grade my own cartridge, box and etc.

CIB and Sealed is basically all I know lol 

In short, not a lot of room for Signature Series Label? the added info? or something else? Beyond my Understanding.

what's your question?   I'm not clear on how to interpret what you're asking?

Edited by Bronty

On 10/15/2024 at 10:23 AM, Bronty said:

what's your question?   I'm not clear on how to interpret what you're asking?

I guess, is the reason they haven't done it yet by your estimate because there is no room on the label? as there is too much info on video games already to decipher?

Oh I think I understand what you're asking.    

Let me guess - these were CIB games?   And you had different grades to the components, and you're wondering how both came to an overall 9.0 when the component grades were different?

They just use math.    Its been a very long time since I bought a CIB so I don't remember the formula, but I want to say they apply 50% to box, 30% to cart and 20% to the manual.

So if the grades to the components were

box 9.0

cart 9.4

manual 9.4

you'd have 50% at 9.0 and 50% at 9.4 and the overall grade would be 9.2.

On 10/15/2024 at 11:26 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I guess, is the reason they haven't done it yet by your estimate because there is no room on the label? as there is too much info on video games already to decipher?

No I don't think that's it.    My guess is that during the covid boom they were too busy to make it happen, and now they are not busy enough to warrant new product lines like that.

On 10/15/2024 at 10:27 AM, Bronty said:

Oh I think I understand what you're asking.    

Let me guess - these were CIB games?   And you had different grades to the components, and you're wondering how both came to an overall 9.0 when the component grades were different?

They just use math.    Its been a very long time since I bought a CIB so I don't remember the formula, but I want to say they apply 50% to box, 30% to cart and 20% to the manual.

So if the grades to the components were

box 9.0

cart 9.4

manual 9.4

you'd have 50% at 9.0 and 50% at 9.4 and the overall grade would be 9.2.

yes I was sneaking in the added question to add to my knowledge this fits perfectly.

On 10/15/2024 at 10:26 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

On 10/15/2024 at 10:28 AM, Bronty said:

No I don't think that's it.    My guess is that during the covid boom they were too busy to make it happen, and now they are not busy enough to warrant new product lines like that.

and that answers the question I was lazily trying to ask to stay on topic to the discussion lol 

You Passed the Test, but I sincerely thank you, I would try to post to the video game part of the boards but again I don't know how many people frequent it, as I almost forgot until now when it was useful lol or is it cards only, ha, I forget :ohnoez: cgc is a lot lol 

More to the point, the signed copies have to go for a sufficient enough premium to make the exercise worthwhile.

That's relatively easy with comics.   They are relatively easy to ship, artists do cons all the time, etc.

Its harder to find game artists, the stuff is harder to ship, and the market for signed material is less developed.    [People who collect comics today grew up knowing who was drawing that comic they liked (due to the artist credits that were commonplace on the title page).    With games its more like with golden age comics, where you had no idea who the artist was, and its only through fan efforts after the fact that these things have become known.   (check here for some info if anyone wants to learn some more - https://www.originalvideogameart.com/video-game-illustrators/?alphabet=G .   Three good ones to start with are Greg Martin, Greg Winters, and Tom Dubois)]. 

So while they want to go in that direction, there are some roadblocks too.

Edited by Bronty

On 10/15/2024 at 11:31 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

yes I was sneaking in the added question to add to my knowledge this fits perfectly.

and that answers the question I was lazily trying to ask to stay on topic to the discussion lol 

You Passed the Test, but I sincerely thank you, I would try to post to the video game part of the boards but again I don't know how many people frequent it, as I almost forgot until now when it was useful lol or is it cards only, ha, I forget :ohnoez: cgc is a lot lol 

I forget its there myself.  No sweat.

On 10/15/2024 at 10:32 AM, Bronty said:

More to the point, the signed copies have to go for a sufficient enough premium to make the exercise worthwhile.

That's relatively easy with comics.   They are relatively easy to ship, artists do cons all the time, etc.

Its harder to find game artists, the stuff is harder to ship, and the market for signed material is less developed.

So while they want to go in that direction, there are some roadblocks too.

That's good to note as well, although, I know there are probably "certain ages" to video games when it comes to slabbing and creators and or etc being alive and willing too, while similar to comics maybe it's just not time, yet.

On 10/15/2024 at 11:38 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

That's good to note as well, although, I know there are probably "certain ages" to video games when it comes to slabbing and creators and or etc being alive and willing too, while similar to comics maybe it's just not time, yet.

Yes, and see my edit above re credits.    When you grew up you knew it was Todd McFarlane drawing Spider-man.    You didn't know, at the time, that it was Tom Dubois doing all those great Konami boxes (including a few TMNT ones! like Turtles in Time and Hyperstone Heist), so, while people are starting to know the names, there's still education there.      

Edited by Bronty