• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

showcase 4 cgc 9.2

24 posts in this topic

You know Matt, he goes through cycles where he will list a bunch of stuff. Probably stuff that was not moving or he just wants to raise some cash....and attract some attention to his web site. - Lowering the price like that might have less to do with that he is trying to raise the cash and sell the book, and more with drawing attention to his web site...after all, we are talking about it....right ?

"I also have a deep concern for any who do not know Him but are searching for the truth."

Dang I don't know Him but I bet if Mark gave some super high grade copies of a few books especially Fantastic Four 66 and 67 I could get to know Him a lot better.

book maybe first SA KEY, but there's not really a demand to pay HIGH prices for a lower tier character......hence drastic price drop.

There's a new Flash tv series starting on the WB in the Fall of 2004. If it's a success, will it affect the value of this book?

book maybe first SA KEY, but there's not really a demand to pay HIGH prices for a lower tier character......hence drastic price drop.

There's a new Flash tv series starting on the WB in the Fall of 2004. If it's a success, will it affect the value of this book?

I don't think so, Jeff. Did "Smallville " do anything for Superman books ? - It's a great show, but unless it's a valuable book to begin with, prices aren't affected. DC doesn''t seem to benefit from the outside media with an increase in it's characters the way Marvel has..and this new "Catwoman" movie is a big step in the wrong direction for them. - To jump start the Batman franchise with that POS is a crime imho. -

Even the new Batman movie won't do it. I am a huge Batman fan, more than any other super hero , and I think that the hysteria that was caused by the first Batman movie in 89 would be difficult, if not impossible to duplicate. the movie came at a time that was in the pinnacle of the comics market with all the alternate covers and the McFaralane popularity. People were ready for a movie on that scale and with a hero as dynamic as Batman. They were looking for the "boy wonder" and the "pow" "zap" "splat" of the campy show.

I loved the orignal Flash tv show and hope this one does it justice. I think the Flash is an extremely underrated character that deserves more attention. The new series is very popular lately although i have yet to read any of them. I love the Infantio silver age Flash-

book maybe first SA KEY, but there's not really a demand to pay HIGH prices for a lower tier character......hence drastic price drop. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Flash is a lower tier character ? Since when ?

book maybe first SA KEY, but there's not really a demand to pay HIGH prices for a lower tier character......hence drastic price drop. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Flash is a lower tier character ? Since when ?

Wouldn't say lower tier,...but definitely second tier as far as DC characters are concerned...DC 1st tier would be limited to Superman,Batman and Robin, and Wonder Woman , .....a la "Trinity".

Flash leads the pack with second Tier characters with other examples being Green lantern,Aquaman, Green Arrow, etc...

Robin has a higher placement than Flash ? We're talking about a character who was able to become a TV character remember (late 80's early 90's ?). It may have bombed, but he had the publics awareness in the first place to be given a go. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a rabid Flash collector, but dismissing Showcase 4 as a 2nd tier characters book is like doing the same for JIM 83 or TOS 39.

Robin has a higher placement than Flash

Well yes, but only on the coat-tails of Batman,...If you walk in the street and ask 100 people who Robin is,...and in who the Flash is,...I bet you dollars to donuts more people will know who Robin is,...Just recall the big deal DC had when they killed off the Jason Todd Robin charecter,...they got hate mail,....did DC get any big response when Barry Allen bit the dust besides a bunch of weeping fan-boys,....NOT....Robin is an american icon along with the likes of Mickey Mouse, Superman and the Big Mac,...he is recognized by almost everone.

Don't get me wrong I love the Flash, But he is second tier in the DC universe,..high up there but still second tier

Don't take the short view. He probably paid 30 k for it raw. So what is his gain now. But the long term view is that given if he didn't need the money that is a 150 k book in 3 to 5 years. No one will argue that SC 4 is truley one of the key investment books.

I am seeing a lot of nice books come out of collections due to collectors reading about a crash from the sky is falling collectors (keep it up) gossip.gif. If they panic then it is our gain given the prices they will take. Wonderful opportunity to pick up some comics you couldn't afford 3 years ago.

If they panic then it is our gain given the prices they will take. Wonderful opportunity to pick up some comics you couldn't afford 3 years ago.

I hear this a lot, and it still makes me laugh.

When we had the last crash, and store owners were madly selling off their premium 9.6-9.8 books at Guide or under, where were all the "bargain hunters" then?

A crash is a pervasive mentality, and when it occurs, people flee. People don't buy at times of weakness, they are attracted to strength, and that old adage of "buying low and selling lower" comes into play big-time. That's what will happen this time as well, and will put your "I will spend tons once a crash happens" BS to the litmus test.

Here's a great example of this phenomenon; a high-priced book get re-priced at thousands less, and you should all be fighting for a chance to buy it ASAP.

Don't take the short view. He probably paid 30 k for it raw. So what is his gain now. But the long term view is that given if he didn't need the money that is a 150 k book in 3 to 5 years. No one will argue that SC 4 is truley one of the key investment books.

Easy to say, but when you hit the $150K mark, how many people can afford it ? Anyone in the game who has that sort of money in 3-5 years is likely to have $65K now, so unless new money is coming in, if it doesn't sell now, it won't sell then.

I'd love to have a copy of this, but I suspect an apparent VG- is more in my domain. I'll concede the point about Flash, but I honestly feel that everyone in comics (liitle kids up) knows who he is, whereas you couldn't say that about someone like Green Arrow. Or maybe they don't nowadays. Darned if I know, I don't even know what "ala Trinity" means.