• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

What else is there? Women. Comics. Basketball. Oh yeah, I need to go to the bathroom once in a while.

Beer, cars, pizza and real estate.

See? A short sighted Virgo does not a good planner make.

You complete me!

What else is there? Women. Comics. Basketball. Oh yeah, I need to go to the bathroom once in a while.

Beer, cars, pizza and real estate.

See? A short sighted Virgo does not a good planner make.

You complete me!

:acclaim:

Here's a question for the UK lads. I won a book from the USA on ebay, he charged me $15 to ship, it was a slabbed book, very reasonable i thought.

Got up today and the postie had put a note through my door stating that the sender had not paid enough to ship the book, which i thought was a bit strange, why would the post office send it if not enough shipping had been paid?

So, i would have to pay £11.33 before i could have the book, i went to the PO, paid the £11.33 and the woman behind the desk said "that is customs for you" there was a sticker on the box saying that i had to pay import duty, on a used book?? I have never done this before, so i was wondering if any of you have been hit with this?

rantrant

Well, if you've kept all the relevant paperwork it won't hurt to put a claim in with customs but you just might have to bite the bullet. Just remember in future to ask all sellers outside of the EU to put the 'printed papers' bit on the customs form.

Claim against customs if you have all of the proof. are you sure it was customs charges and not a shipping shortfall? $15 seems extremely cheap.

If it is customs and you do claim, be prepared to wait forever for your eleven quid back.

Claim against customs if you have all of the proof. are you sure it was customs charges and not a shipping shortfall? $15 seems extremely cheap.

If it is customs and you do claim, be prepared to wait forever for your eleven quid back.

It usually costs twice that much to ship across the pond. Doesn't it? (shrug)

It usually costs twice that much to ship across the pond. Doesn't it? (shrug)

Priority International will run anywhere from around $27 upwards depending if it's been bought online or weighed. First Class International is cheaper but I still think it's more than $15.

I must admit, i thought $15 sounded to good to be true, There was a white sticker on it, which i cut off and kept, and it had a load of customs jargon on it, i can't remember the exact words, will have a look tomorrow when i get home.

I must admit, i thought $15 sounded to good to be true, There was a white sticker on it, which i cut off and kept, and it had a load of customs jargon on it, i can't remember the exact words, will have a look tomorrow when i get home.

Did you get one of the red cards through the door? If you did the reason (excess postage required or customs charges) would have been ticked.

Did you get one of the red cards through the door? If you did the reason (excess postage required or customs charges) would have been ticked.

No! Not red, it was grey, and it it was ticked in the not enough postage box, but when i picked it up the woman said it was to do with customs??

No! Not red, it was grey, and it it was ticked in the not enough postage box, but when i picked it up the woman said it was to do with customs??

That's what it was then, don't even bother with customs. She obviously didn't know what she was talking about (thumbs u

$15, sounds far too cheap, although I paid $185 for a book to be insured and fedexed to me from Heritage today, ah well, in for a penny, in for a in' load of money

That's what it was then, don't even bother with customs. She obviously didn't know what she was talking about (thumbs u

Don't think i could be arsed with the hassle anyway, cheers Gav. (thumbs u

$15, sounds far too cheap, although I paid $185 for a book to be insured and fedexed to me from Heritage today, ah well, in for a penny, in for a in' load of money

$185? for 1 book? :o What was it?

Knowing Imran it could be Action 1 8.5 :baiting:

Knowing Imran it could be Action 1 8.5 :baiting:

I wish, Heritage charge a 2% fee if you want a package insured by a carrier to be carried overseas, otherwise their insurance only covers from their offices to the Fed ex offices, at that cost an Action 1 8.0 would cost $20,000 to ship doh!