• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

Would love to be in involved in the group therapy PM's, sounds like a blast :applause:

When is the next meet? I'm heading stateside in a couple of weeks, plan to be there for a couple of months. Best of all cheap shipping that even Supapimp wouldn't be able to squirm out of lol

Hi, I'm fairly new to the boards but slowly getting to know people, even though I haven't been able to get involved in any meet ups. Hopefully sometime soon. Always good to meet new people so send me a pm anytime, I'm abit of a chatter/rambler in pm's but as long as you don't mind then fire a message my way anytime.

If your off to the states for a few months it sounds like we might have a mole! Will you be attending any conventions while there?

All the best

Jamie

Hi Matt :hi:

Nice to see another Brit boardie (come back), hopefully you'll stick around, the Brit invasion continues lol

I'm sure there should be a boardie meetup soon.... I think we've all recovered since the London Con.

Cheers,

Chris

Speak for yourself.

My credit card still has the hangover from hell :(

Nice to see another Brit boardie (come back), hopefully you'll stick around, the Brit invasion continues lol

I'm sure there should be a boardie meetup soon.... I think we've all recovered since the London Con.

Cheers,

Chris

Speak for yourself.

I heard Ebas put a restaining order out on you :whistle:

Cheers,

Chris

Speak for yourself.

He was worth all subsequent court appearences :)

MarvelGirl.jpg

:cloud9:

Cheers,

Chris

Speak for yourself.

He was worth all subsequent court appearences :)

MarvelGirl.jpg

:cloud9:

That is a beautiful sketch :applause:

Thanks for the replies guys :hi:

If your off to the states for a few months it sounds like we might have a mole! Will you be attending any conventions while there?

Maybe i should change my name to Anfield Mole hm

Would love to hit a con but i think the nearest to where i'm going (VA, just out of DC) is Baltimore but that's not until September.

Which cons have you guys been to? I've been to the US 5 times before and never been to a con! The closest thing were the comic marts here in London in the 90's. TUC in Oxford Street, Royal National in Russel Square and the one near King's Cross (what was that one called? never liked it compared to the other 2). Met Jonathon Ross there once.

Would love to be in involved in the group therapy PM's, sounds like a blast :applause:

When is the next meet? I'm heading stateside in a couple of weeks, plan to be there for a couple of months. Best of all cheap shipping that even Supapimp wouldn't be able to squirm out of lol

I'll add your name to the list for the buying/selling PM, it'll only be the second one we've done. The plan is to do them monthly.

The next gathering hasn't been arranged yet but it probably won't be too far in the future. We'll be sure to let you know when it happens.

Did you go to the London SuperCon in February? It was the closest we've had to a US style comic con over here and is being arranged again for next year.

No i missed it, didn't find out about it until after it happened :(

Hope you all had a great time and picked up some stuff. Saw there was a nice list of creators there including Stan the man.

Hope next year happens. I remember a similar con in 93 i think called comic expo or something that bombed.

Awesome piece BTW Stryfe!

Might have been, it was so long ago and i was only 11 at the time :blush:

It was a very significant show in British fandom history, but because of its location it lost money, and it was never brought back. But it did get a lot more people into U.S. comics.

It was a very significant show in British fandom history, but because of its location it lost money, and it was never brought back. But it did get a lot more people into U.S. comics.

This raises a question to my fellow UK'ites.

What got you into comics?

For me it was Batman (1989) that got me into mainstream DC. Upto then the only comic I read was UK Transformers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles lol

Although the OCD collecting bug hit me with trading cards. I still have them in a folder in the loft somewhere hm

For me it was Batman (1989) that got me into mainstream DC. Upto then the only comic I read was UK Transformers and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles lol

Early ' 70s DC mystery titles, Batman, The Flash and Green Lantern.

- Being given a copy of Fantastic 1 to read when I was 4 years old  (the British reprint comic).  Introduced me to the X-Men, always my favourite team from then on.

- Reading the Marvel UK comics in the early 70s. Got quite a buzz and I first realised there was something special about this for me.

- 8 or 9 years old, going on the local market each week with my parents, then afterwards often being handed 50p to sod off and buy some comics from the nearby bus station newsagent- basically to get half an hour or so of respite from my annoying, brattish, clinical hyperactivity by going for a coffee.  This was the Golden Age for me, the time of DC 100 pagers.   :cloud9:

- Being given a copy of Fantastic 1 to read when I was 4 years old  (the British reprint comic).  Introduced me to the X-Men, always my favourite team from then on.

- Reading the Marvel UK comics in the early 70s. Got quite a buzz and I first realised there was something special about this for me.

- 8 or 9 years old, going on the local market each week with my parents, then afterwards often being handed 50p to sod off and buy some comics from the nearby bus station newsagent- basically to get half an hour or so of respite from my annoying, brattish, clinical hyperactivity by going for a coffee.  This was the Golden Age for me, the time of DC 100 pagers.   :cloud9:

When I was first into comics a comic shop in Newcastle, Timeslip :cloud9: had a big half price sale and I got about 20 DC 100 pagers for 50p each :banana: , I always loved them as it seemed that you got a lot more read for your money, I must have read them 20 times each in those days. Batman & Superman were the first things I collected seriously.

Early ' 70s DC mystery titles, Batman, The Flash and Green Lantern.

Hell yeah! :headbang: