• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

Errr, just thinking of what piece of crap...... errr I mean Marvel masterpiece I'd like before someone else gets in before me. :ohnoez:

Kevin the shop you mean in Leeds - SKYRACK -was a stall in the Merrion indoor market. Ran by a nice guy called Ron.

He would save new releases and discount them 5 pence each. He must have been there since the mid seventies I think. My friend Henry has some of his catalogue still.

I thin EwanUK remembers it.

We also had Odyssey7 in Leeds from, I think, about 1984. FP swallowed that too.

Before that in Middles rough there was a seedy shop Borough Rd that had comics and a stall on the market in Stockton where I bought my first comic Power Man 23

Hi, back from Hastings (lovely holiday and the weather was fantastic)

Skyrack - yes Ron Bennett was one of the pioneers of British fandom. I recall going there around 1985 to buy 2000ADs (age 13) and I also distinctly remember buying Watchmen no.2 there. He was quite a cranky old man and wouldn't let me browse the early 2000ADs. I guess I was just an oik to him ;)

Odyssey (without the "7") opened in Harrison Street in Leeds in Oct or November 1986 (i think) It was certainly the same time X-Factor no.1 one came out as I remember it selling out (saved from a fate worse than death perhaps?)

Great shop... highlight was meeting Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons there on the watchmen tour in 1987.

It eventually became the FP and is now a wig shop I believe.

There was also one in the late 80s/ early 90s in one of the Arcades... can't remember it

I also went to the one in Mboro as I was there at Uni in the early 90s...

Also, once or twice to Odyssey 7 in Manchester as my elder brother was at UMIST there... also saw Pink Floyd at Maine Road in 1988 as a 16 year old - then got lost in Moss Side.. quite an education....

And finally, did managed to visit the Denmark Street FP once with my mum... happy memories :)

Well i'm only 30 so I can't possibly comment :sorry:

Does that make us young or old by the standards of the boards...? Hard to tell.

hm

:preach: Well I will be 50 next birthday, I always wanted to post the old guy emoticon but never had a reason until now. lol

I've just turned 40. Great age to be, though I'm periodically decrepit

I remember Avalon Comics had a 50% off sale once and it was actually great. Got some really cool stuff, this was in the 90's mind you.

Anyone remember "Books Bits N' Bobs" in Kingston or "They Walk Among Us" in Richmond or "30th Century Comics" in Putney?

They Walk Among Us sounds familiar, didn't they used to be one of the main mail order dealers? I also remember names like; Dangerous Visions and Dark They Were and something Eyed??

Dark They Were And Golden Eyed was the first proper comic shop in London, situated in St. Anne's Court in Soho (ironically the same building where Ross and Gambaccini's Top Ten Comics was, in the early 90s). It was the mecca / hangout for what was then a pretty small geek community. It shut its doors in the late 70s, with most of its staff, including a pre-Comic Showcase Paul Hudson, relocating to Forbidden Planet in Denmark Street.

They Walk Among Us was in Richmond - it had back issues but was mainly focused on merchandise and imports. After at least 15 years of trading it got taken over by Biff Averre of Ace Comics and is still very much open for business. Worth checking out if you're in Richmond...it's near the high street.

30th Century Comics is also still going - located on the Lower Richmond Road near Putney Bridge / High Street, it's definitely worth a look as they have a decent back issue selection.

30th Century is the only "real" comic shop still in existence in London. Though the owners make me smile. Remind of Mr Neat and Mr Tidy from the Mr Men ;)

All this talk of old comic shops got me thinking.. hm

I had been trying to remember my first comic mart. I knew it was in London in the mid 70s but couldn't remember anything specifc about it, other than I picked up a couple of silver Daredevil's inc a very tatty #2. ('twas all my meagre schoolboy budget would allow - even after saving pocket and pape round money for months).

Anyways, I thought I would do some googling and OMG I found it on a page on Dez Skins site. It was Comicon 1976. Every page of the scanned programme brought memories flooding back, especially the cap-cap by John Romita, washing over me in one huge wave of nostalgia. :cloud9:

I must have kept the programme for years as every page is familiar. Wish I had it now.

Check it out here. http://dezskinn.com/fanzines-3/

Dez Skin

Was anyone else there?

Has anyone, by chance got a programme?

Yes :) I can post some scans up?

Well i'm only 30 so I can't possibly comment :sorry:

Does that make us young or old by the standards of the boards...? Hard to tell.

hm

:preach: Well I will be 50 next birthday, I always wanted to post the old guy emoticon but never had a reason until now. lol

I've just turned 40. Great age to be, though I'm periodically decrepit

Ewan are you the one who sell the fanzine type stuff on ebay. I have bought a few things from you ( all good ) from time to time.

:foryou: sorry if its not you dude.

Ok UK buddies...

Who can get me a comic sized colour print out of Captain America #1 cover?

KevinJ's request to do this cover and after the catastrophe of Brian's request, where I was trying to do it from a B&W printout :(

If anyone can help would be appreciated.

On a side note, I have low grade copies of Brian & Andrews requests inbound so I will get a start on those soon.

I have printed off the cover on A4 paper - the image is not bad.

PM your address and I will post to you.

(worship)

I would request an Action # 1 cover but not sure if you can afford it. :baiting:

lol anyone got a reprint? (shrug)

Only joking, you know I'd ask for a Marvel don't you? :kidaround::makepoint:

I forgot you were one of "them". :baiting:

What crap, I mean Marvel cover do you want then? :foryou:

And they will now be "IN COLOUR" if requested. I've found some artist pens which are the dogs bollocks. :insane:

It might be an odd choice to some but I'd like to request the cover to Avengers # 373 please. Always been an Avengers fan and this is one that I liked when I was buying them in my early twenties.

http://www.comicvine.com/the-avengers-armageddon/37-38935/

I remember Avalon Comics had a 50% off sale once and it was actually great. Got some really cool stuff, this was in the 90's mind you.

Anyone remember "Books Bits N' Bobs" in Kingston or "They Walk Among Us" in Richmond or "30th Century Comics" in Putney?

They Walk Among Us sounds familiar, didn't they used to be one of the main mail order dealers? I also remember names like; Dangerous Visions and Dark They Were and something Eyed??

Dark They Were And Golden Eyed was the first proper comic shop in London, situated in St. Anne's Court in Soho (ironically the same building where Ross and Gambaccini's Top Ten Comics was, in the early 90s). It was the mecca / hangout for what was then a pretty small geek community. It shut its doors in the late 70s, with most of its staff, including a pre-Comic Showcase Paul Hudson, relocating to Forbidden Planet in Denmark Street.

They Walk Among Us was in Richmond - it had back issues but was mainly focused on merchandise and imports. After at least 15 years of trading it got taken over by Biff Averre of Ace Comics and is still very much open for business. Worth checking out if you're in Richmond...it's near the high street.

30th Century Comics is also still going - located on the Lower Richmond Road near Putney Bridge / High Street, it's definitely worth a look as they have a decent back issue selection.

Never heard of this shop, gotta look for it now

30th Century is the only "real" comic shop still in existence in London. Though the owners make me smile. Remind of Mr Neat and Mr Tidy from the Mr Men ;)

Ok UK buddies...

KevinJ's request to do this cover and after the catastrophe of Brian's request, where I was trying to do it from a B&W printout :(

On a side note, I have low grade copies of Brian & Andrews requests inbound so I will get a start on those soon.

(worship)

I would request an Action # 1 cover but not sure if you can afford it. :baiting:

And they will now be "IN COLOUR" if requested. I've found some artist pens which are the dogs bollocks. :insane:

It might be an odd choice to some but I'd like to request the cover to Avengers # 373 please. Always been an Avengers fan and this is one that I liked when I was buying them in my early twenties.

Gaz,

That's definitely an :preach: book

:jokealert:

Nice pick - I think Chris will be busy for a while.

I spent some serious coin there over a long period and was really let down by those two. Would rather not post it on a public forum though. No their not scammers or bad people but i won't be buying from there again.

Ok UK buddies...

(worship)

Ok your 5th on the list. (thumbs u

I spent some serious coin there over a long period and was really let down by those two. Would rather not post it on a public forum though. No their not scammers or bad people but i won't be buying from there again.

I've dealt with them once or twice. Did a trade deal with them on some items. They were friendly and had no problems.

Slight overgrading but not as bad as incognito or silveracre.

They have a huge backstock and probably the best supplier of British comics you can find.

I don't shop there as they never have anything high grade, its all mid to low end.

Listening to you guys talking about comic shops and general comic related fun from your youth makes me really sad that I missed out by not getting into comics until my very late 20's early 30's. Living in Worcester I'm really not sure where I'd of gone for comics culture anyway as being a little town I only remember 1 comic shop ever being opened called Planet X and it not lasting long and getting robbed a lot by thieving kids. The guy kept what I remember being high value bagged comics fairly close to the door so kids would literally run in grab a handful of books and run out again. The shop was out of town so no security about or anyone to stop them and they'd be off. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why the shop didn't last long. Like I said I never went there myself just heard the stories in the school playground. I suppose if I'd been into the culture at the time then I would of travelled up to Birmingham, which still has my most local comic shop Nostalgia and Comics. I don't go that often just when I happen to be in brum, all my comics come from the boards and nick at comicana. Still like I said I it would of been nice to have been into the scene a little earlier but glad I'm here now.

Edited by PsychoJ

I remember seeing Planet X advertising a lot in Comics International in the 1990s, and I used to see the people that ran the shop at shows in London.

They didn't last all that long as you said. My memory of their back issue stock was that it was somewhat overgraded and priced to the moon. The owner, who seemed like a nice guy, would cut you a considerable deal if you bought a few books, but even then it wasn't worth it.

Kevin the shop you mean in Leeds - SKYRACK -was a stall in the Merrion indoor market. Ran by a nice guy called Ron.

He would save new releases and discount them 5 pence each. He must have been there since the mid seventies I think. My friend Henry has some of his catalogue still.

I thin EwanUK remembers it.

We also had Odyssey7 in Leeds from, I think, about 1984. FP swallowed that too.

Before that in Middles rough there was a seedy shop Borough Rd that had comics and a stall on the market in Stockton where I bought my first comic Power Man 23

Hi, back from Hastings (lovely holiday and the weather was fantastic)

Skyrack - yes Ron Bennett was one of the pioneers of British fandom. I recall going there around 1985 to buy 2000ADs (age 13) and I also distinctly remember buying Watchmen no.2 there. He was quite a cranky old man and wouldn't let me browse the early 2000ADs. I guess I was just an oik to him ;)

Odyssey (without the "7") opened in Harrison Street in Leeds in Oct or November 1986 (i think) It was certainly the same time X-Factor no.1 one came out as I remember it selling out (saved from a fate worse than death perhaps?)

Great shop... highlight was meeting Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons there on the watchmen tour in 1987.

It eventually became the FP and is now a wig shop I believe.

There was also one in the late 80s/ early 90s in one of the Arcades... can't remember it

I also went to the one in Mboro as I was there at Uni in the early 90s...

Also, once or twice to Odyssey 7 in Manchester as my elder brother was at UMIST there... also saw Pink Floyd at Maine Road in 1988 as a 16 year old - then got lost in Moss Side.. quite an education....

And finally, did managed to visit the Denmark Street FP once with my mum... happy memories :)

Which comic shop in the Boro?