• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

Yep, Mo, Wiggins and Ennis are more than likely to pick up titles.

Not in my opinion. MBE, OBE, sure. But I think it's crazy to hand out knighthoods for one successful year. Of your list, Wiggins deserves the most recognition.

Look at Beckham and all he's done to raise the profile of English sport for the last 15 years - no knighthood. Ditto Johnny Wilkinson, a world cup winner.

I'm not saying that what our athletes have achieved isn't admirable, and I expect all our gold medallists will get MBEs, but none of them deserve to be knighted... yet.

I think you'll find that Wiggins has had more than one successful year.

Mo has been fantastic but Brad's Olympic Gold, Tour de France win and the wins he's had in all the other road races this year should make him Sports Personality of the Year.

At least the BBC should have a few women on the list this year.

I don't follow cycling, and having looked Wiggins up on wikipedia I can see that you're right (I knew about the TDF and his London gold already of course, and that's why I said he was perhaps the most deserving).

No issue at all with Sports Personality of the Year - although my money's on Ennis - you wouldn't hear me complaining if he won that. But, per my post above, not a knighthood.

Just to reiterate, I am NOT a Wiggins hater (or anyone else we've mentioned) - these guys are great and have done the country proud. But that doesn't mean we should knight them.

And I'm not disagreeing with you. It is preposterous....but I was only applying logic due to what has gone before.

Cringe making at the closing ceremony :sick:

Maybe the remit of the organizers was to take whatever was once great about English pop culture and reductively trivialize it into the ground? Never seen such tawdriness. Ah well.

Lord knows why Kate Moss and those other mannequins were paraded around. Smacks of cronyism.

Moss, Campbell, Michael shouldn't be allowed near all those athletes, none of them will ever pass a doping test after being in the vicinity of those three.

Elbow were good and I thought that Kaiser Chiefs were surprisingly good doing Pinball Wizard. Other than that :facepalm:

Hang on though, here's Eric Idle to save the day.

Cringe making at the closing ceremony :sick:

Maybe the remit of the organizers was to take whatever was once great about English pop culture and reductively trivialize it into the ground? Never seen such tawdriness. Ah well.

Lord knows why Kate Moss and those other mannequins were paraded around. Smacks of cronyism.

I had to leave the room while it was on - leaving the wife and her parents, who are French and don't speak English, watching it.

Moss, Campbell, Michael shouldn't be allowed near all those athletes, none of them will ever pass a doping test after being in the vicinity of those three.

Elbow were good and I thought that Kaiser Chiefs were surprisingly good doing Pinball Wizard. Other than that :facepalm:

Hang on though, here's Eric Idle to save the day.

Actually, to be fair, he almost did. Sending everything up was the way to go and he did well with that old chestnut tune. Made me laugh anyway....

I forgot I was watching it on BBC News rather than BBC 1,  and I think I've missed probably about an hour or so. From what you're saying, I haven't really missed much, apart from a lot of tack?

Yeah, tack is the right word. Why is it whenever we talk about Britain, we always jump on the same hackneyed Carnaby Street/Britpop bandwagon? And who has Annie Lennox ? She hasn't had a record out in eons but is always up for a Brit award or wheeled out for these events.

Oh , its Brian in May now! :fear:

its Brian in May now! :fear:

With Jessie J, who can't headbang or air guitar to save her life. :facepalm:

Stick to the anaemic pop, why don't you?

I'd actually prefer it if she'd just jog on and leave the music to the people with talent.

I'd actually prefer it if she'd just jog on and leave the music to the people with talent.

She can jog on into my bedroom if she wants.

One final bathetic scene which should've been done in silence (the extinguishing of the Olympic flame, set to manipulative "Battle Of The Somme" type music).

And then The Who, who did pretty well, considering their advancing years. Daltrey's voice has experienced considerable wear and tear over the last 50 years, but he was infinitely preferable to all the showboating nonsense that came before. And he still looks okay.

Thought the Brazilian bit proved that they're as good at arsing about looking silly as the Brits. Although it was nice to see Pele.

One more worthless platitude from the ridiculously dated Hazel Irvine and Huw whatsisname, and then cut to Lineker and Barker (and her rictus smile) and the put-upon Michael Johnson, being asked (this time by Barker) for the hundredth time what his favourite moment of the games was.

Which he answered with his usual good grace.

Then another final manipulative montage bit featuring crying athletes set to Lennon's Imagine (the Beeb milking it again). And cut.

Right. Back to the EPL!!!

Forget about the football - US Open tennis at the end of the month and then the Ryder Cup in September :banana:

And congrats to Rory tonight :applause:

Will definitely make more of an effort to watch the US Open as often as possible this time. :headbang:

One final bathetic scene which should've been done in silence (the extinguishing of the Olympic flame, set to manipulative "Battle Of The Somme" type music).

I thought that was a nice touch, especially as that piece of music was written by John Barry.

I thought that was a nice touch, especially as that piece of music was written by John Barry.

Must've missed that it was his work. Still thought they were overegging the pudding.