• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

I've never managed to pay attention for more than about 5 minutes or so when I've tried watching the Punisher films on TV.  I'm not a fan of the character, which can't help any.  

The Punisher was always the most baffling success story in comics. I thought he was an interesting foe / ally for Spider-Man at the beginning as he provided a monolithic foil for the character, and worked quite well in Spidey's main title.

However that doesn't explain the fact that at one point he had four or five titles in the early 90s, not to mention annuals, spin-offs and "holiday specials", which were especially poor cash-ins. Very much a benchmark of the era, those books.

I was never going to sit through a movie that was guaranteed to showcase an even more soulless take on the character, especially with Lundgren etc. in the lead "role".

What do you think of Ennis's Punisher?

Apart possibly from Conway's original version, very much the best take on the character, with a better delineated supporting cast. Ennis's dry gallows humour and the excellent art drew me back to the series, at least for 20 issues or so.

I've never managed to pay attention for more than about 5 minutes or so when I've tried watching the Punisher films on TV.  I'm not a fan of the character, which can't help any.  

The Punisher was always the most baffling success story in comics. I thought he was an interesting foe / ally for Spider-Man at the beginning as he provided a monolithic foil for the character, and worked quite well in Spidey's main title.

However that doesn't explain the fact that at one point he had four or five titles in the early 90s, not to mention annuals, spin-offs and "holiday specials", which were especially poor cash-ins. Very much a benchmark of the era, those books.

I was never going to sit through a movie that was guaranteed to showcase an even more soulless take on the character, especially with Lundgren etc. in the lead "role".

I agree. I thought he was fine as a supporting character, as in his early Amazing Spider-Man appearances.  Over the long haul, generally one note.

The big question is... Is it better than Sly's abysmal attempt?

Stopped being a Dredd film as soon as Stallone vainly took his helmet off.   :facepalm:

The big question is... Is it better than Sly's abysmal attempt?

Stopped being a Dredd film as soon as Stallone vainly took his helmet off.   :facepalm:

It was never a Dredd film anyway - load 'o' .

Rob Scheider as Fergie? person_without_enough_empathy, please.

What do you think of Ennis's Punisher?

Apart possibly from Conway's original version, very much the best take on the character, with a better delineated supporting cast. Ennis's dry gallows humour and the excellent art drew me back to the series, at least for 20 issues or so.

PunisherMax had been my best read for many years, he saturated the market 20 years ago

what was your 1st major arc you remember from comic collecting?

I started collecting US comics properly (As in a monthly subscription at an LCS as opposed to any random book that came on sale at my local newsagent) during the X-Men : Inferno storyline. Still my favourite event. In fact, I'm re-reading the HC collection at the moment.

First story arc I can remember would've been a Marvel one, as DC didn't do continued stories much back in the early 70s. Cap 175-182, when a troubled Steve Rogers decided to dispense with his Captain America identity and become the Nomad instead.

Looking back it was impressive work from Steve Englehart in what turned out to be a fan favourite story, and the arc could've lasted a few issues longer. It was ruined somewhat by Buscema taking a leave of absence at the end and being replaced by the abysmal Frank Robbins for the finale.

I agree with you about the comic - like Wolverine I could never understand the popularity.

I was speaking about the Thomas Jane version of the film.

I agree with you about the comic - like Wolverine I could never understand the popularity.

Worth checking out? Presumably it's better than the Lundgren one, but that may not be saying very much.

Worth checking out? Presumably it's better than the Lundgren one, but that may not be saying very much.

Thomas Jane's Punisher is Ok, so is the last version, Punisher War Journal with Ray Stevenson.

Thomas Jane's Punisher is Ok, so is the last version, Punisher War Journal with Ray Stevenson.

I liked Ray Stevenson in Rome - might be worth a look...