• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

Does anyone here know anything about Double Double comics? I've seen them on e bay before and just assumed that they were simply b&w reprints.

I came across one yesterday and was surprised that it contained four original colour American comics including letter pages, original ads and indicia, just with the covers removed and bound together in a new (and frankly inferior cover).

What's the story? (shrug)

I had a Batman Double-Double comic book once.

It contained about 3 stories that were simply re-prints.

Not sure about the one you've found!

This one contains four complete issues of Superman from 1966. The issues are randomly numbered in the # 180 to # 190 range. They aren't even bound in numerical order. They are definitely originals rather than reprints as the indicias are there and house ads are for actual DC titles from the time.

It's disturbing that old comics were cannibalized like this, but at the time I guess it was a cheap way to sell off overstock. Maybe they went to reprints after a certain time?

Does anyone here know anything about Double Double comics? I've seen them on e bay before and just assumed that they were simply b&w reprints.

I came across one yesterday and was surprised that it contained four original colour American comics including letter pages, original ads and indicia, just with the covers removed and bound together in a new (and frankly inferior cover).

This one contains four complete issues of Superman from 1966. The issues are randomly numbered in the # 180 to # 190 range. They aren't even bound in numerical order. They are definitely originals rather than reprints as the indicias are there and house ads are for actual DC titles from the time.

It's disturbing that old comics were cannibalized like this, but at the time I guess it was a cheap way to sell off overstock. Maybe they went to reprints after a certain time?

The Batman I had was from issue #168 - 169, maybe to 170 as well. But they were definately reprinted bound books.

They do fetch nice money on eBay, sold mine for about £9 and it was in GD+ condition.

The Batman I had was from issue #168 - 169, maybe to 170 as well. But they were definately reprinted bound books.

They do fetch nice money on eBay, sold mine for about £9 and it was in GD+ condition.

Interesting. I did some googling on this and it seems that they were indeed predominantly rebound unsold issues. The really odd thing about them is that apparently it was quite common to get three DC books and one Marvel bound together! Imagine that happening today!

Also, each copy was virtually unique as basically whatever was lying around was bound together, so 10 books with the same cover could have 10 completely different sets of four issues bound inside.

The reason they get good money is because they are original books and are unique.

Your book would suggest that there were even some reprints in there as well. I wonder if any big key issues got caught up in these packages.

It's an interesting collecting niche if so. I might have to try and get a few more. hm

Edited by Whizzer

Interesting. I did some googling on this and it seems that they were indeed predominantly rebound unsold issues. The really odd thing about them is that apparently it was quite common to get three DC books and one Marvel bound together! Imagine that happening today!

Also, each copy was virtually unique as basically whatever was lying around was bound together, so 10 books with the same cover could have 10 completely different sets of four issues bound inside.

The reason they get good money is because they are original books and are unique.

Your book would suggest that there were even some reprints in there as well. I wonder if any big key issues got caught up in these packages.

It's an interesting collecting niche if so. I might have to try and get a few more. hm

I only had the one as I picked up a collection with it in. I did think about buying more and also getting those Australian Batman reprints, but there has to come a limit!

Its bad enough I'm getting Direct Editions, Newsstand copies, variants, all printings, german & spanish editions... NO MORE!

I only had the one as I picked up a collection with it in. I did think about buying more and also getting those Australian Batman reprints, but there has to come a limit!

Its bad enough I'm getting Direct Editions, Newsstand copies, variants, all printings, german & spanish editions... NO MORE!

Just one more wafer thin mint Monsieur?

Its getting that way! :ohnoez:

Wow, check out the bigarse quotewall we've built! :o

Wow, check out the bigarse quotewall we've built! :o

:sumo:

DD comics can literally be anything, I have a few with the same cover but different books inside and others with the same.

DC, Marvel mix, it was like you say, whatever was lying around unsold.

The logo of a current unsold comic was removed and returned for a refund to save on shipping and the contents repackaged and sold on as DD comics.

On some the cover doesnt reflect the contents, I have a Superman one with no Superman stories inside. :insane:

Very hard to collect in high grade.

Finally outbid someone I've been trying to for ages today so I'm well chuffed.

Bid list

songsaboutclouds - £50,001

Sir Alex Ferguson - £49.001

got me a nice Chris Foy

COME ON YOU SPURS :grin:

20+ years was long enough for us to go without a defeat against you at home, can't win them all.

Edited by buddymagoo

Finally outbid someone I've been trying to for ages today so I'm well chuffed.

Bid list

songsaboutclouds - £50,001

Sir Alex Ferguson - £49.001

got me a nice Chris Foy

COME ON YOU SPURS :grin:

20+ years was long enough for us to go without a defeat against you at home, can't win them all.

Gotta sa, your support at 2 - 0 down was outstanding.

The Lane would have been silent