• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A little corner of the UK
2 2

9,411 posts in this topic

My Canadian football team are the Hamilton Tiger Cats.

Now...what is the UK term for North American "football"?

"Girls in armour playing Rugby" I think

As opposed to girls in gloves and snoods who fall over if someone breathes on them? :whistle:

Anyone watch Arrow last night? I wasn't to sure, thought the episode felt a bit thin and lacking solid content. I don't really know much about green arrow so not sure what fans of the book think, I see Deadshot is in next weeks episode

Edited by PsychoJ

My Canadian football team are the Hamilton Tiger Cats.

Now...what is the UK term for North American "football"?

"Girls in armour playing Rugby" I think

As opposed to girls in gloves and snoods who fall over if someone breathes on them? :whistle:

:applause:

You can say United get the 'rub' but that is a myth perpetuated by angry fans.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/9258810/Manchester-United-have-cause-for-complaint-as-unique-survey-highlights-Premier-League-errors.html

There has been loads of instances where Chelsea have got the descisions at thier ground in the past What about March 2011 when Vidic was sent off, Luiz stayed on the field after a blatant hack against Rooney and Chelsea got a penalty (that wasn't) to win the game? What about the non foul in 2009 that led to the free kick that Drogba scored from an offside position to win the game?

and then the offside goal by Drogba at Old Trafford that won them the league.

So an offside winner vs QPR, Koscielny not getting sent off and a goal in the 95th minute when there was only meant to be 4 mins added on. I wonder if there will be as much outrage over this as there was at the weekend? I suspect not.

One hell of a game though! It's going to be fun at Old Trafford on Saturday.

So an offside winner vs QPR, Koscielny not getting sent off and a goal in the 95th minute when there was only meant to be 4 mins added on. I wonder if there will be as much outrage over this as there was at the weekend? I suspect not.

Erm yes!! I am a Royal and the ref screwed us!!! Yet another instance of what ive been talking about. Seriously going to take a break from football.

Erm yes!! I am a Royal and the ref screwed us!!! Yet another instance of what ive been talking about. Seriously going to take a break from football.

Surely you can't do that while your team is in the premier league. You just have to believe it will even itself out over the course of the season. You deserved the win but it's over now and you played a great part in one of the most entertaining football matches in a long time! You can be proud of your team.

Surely you can't do that while your team is in the premier league. You just have to believe it will even itself out over the course of the season. You deserved the win but it's over now and you played a great part in one of the most entertaining football matches in a long time! You can be proud of your team.

Hard to be proud of your team giving away a 4-0 lead, bad decisions or not (and I don't think anyone could in good conscience say that the ref was to blame)...

Hard to be proud of your team giving away a 4-0 lead, bad decisions or not (and I don't think anyone could in good conscience say that the ref was to blame)...

Well I disagree with you Adam.

Lets just say the right decisions were made by the ref, Reading get a penalty for Hunt being bundled over in the box, Reading go up 5-3.

Arsenal get a penalty for Chamakh and he doesn't get a wrongly given yellow for handball. Arsenal go 5-4.

Kosielny gets a 2nd yellow for clearly pulling down Roberts and is sent off, Arsenal go down to 10.

The ref blows at 94 minutes and 30 odd seconds, Reading win 5-4. So there are the key decisions that the ref got wrong.

For the record, I got no beef with Arsenal, they won the match and Reading's defence crumbled, plus we had shaky Federici in goal again. But the ref(s) played their part.

If I was Theo Walcott, I'd be asking myself why I've been on bench the last few Arsenal games when Aaron Ramsey has been on the right wing, especially how poor they were against Norwich.

My only hope now is that Reading's confidence isn't dented as we have a huge must win game against QPR on Saturday.

Well I disagree with you Adam.

Lets just say the right decisions were made by the ref, Reading get a penalty for Hunt being bundled over in the box, Reading go up 5-3.

Arsenal get a penalty for Chamakh and he doesn't get a wrongly given yellow for handball. Arsenal go 5-4.

Kosielny gets a 2nd yellow for clearly pulling down Roberts and is sent off, Arsenal go down to 10.

The ref blows at 94 minutes and 30 odd seconds, Reading win 5-4. So there are the key decisions that the ref got wrong.

For the record, I got no beef with Arsenal, they won the match and Reading's defence crumbled, plus we had shaky Federici in goal again. But the ref(s) played their part.

If I was Theo Walcott, I'd be asking myself why I've been on bench the last few Arsenal games when Aaron Ramsey has been on the right wing, especially how poor they were against Norwich.

My only hope now is that Reading's confidence isn't dented as we have a huge must win game against QPR on Saturday.

It's easy in any game to point to refereeing decisions that went against your side though - you can never say for certain what would have happened. Maybe Hunt misses a penalty. Maybe Chamakh does. Maybe going down to 10 men galvanizes Arsenal, they go all out attack and score 2 more in normal time. Refs get decisions wrong all the time.

The point I was trying to make is that no team should be giving away a 4-0 lead to lose to another team in the same division - it just shouldn't happen. Refereeing decisions might contribute, but they are not to blame.

I've never understood why football matches aren't timed like rugby ones - stop the clock when there's a stoppage, and finish the game when it hits 90 minutes - easy. Then nobody ever argues about there being too much or too little.

Agreed re Walcott - Ramsey has been terrible recently.

I thought it was a pretty bad performance by Arsenal overall - the talk of the team "showing spirit" to win is driving me crazy. Half the players on the pitch had basically given up. I still don't quite know how we managed to win.

I'd be worried about the weekend - QPR played pretty well against us.

:slapfight:

Bad referee decisions, players like Suarez and the "rub" that Man U gets is what is making me turn off football these days.

Believe it or not but I would rather watch Reading in the Championship then the Premier League!

did you see the Spurs game? 3 penalties we should have gotten

Haven't ManU had enough decisions against Spurs?

not sure where to start with this, sendings off that weren't fouls,

penalties given for fouls which weren't fouls which were outside the box,

Man U quickly take a free kick backwards, Spurs latch on & take the ball, through

on goal & the ref blows and says he wasn't ready. Christ as a Spurs fan of over 40 years I could literally reel off 100s but you know what they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words.

spurs.jpg

:slapfight:

Bad referee decisions, players like Suarez and the "rub" that Man U gets is what is making me turn off football these days.

Believe it or not but I would rather watch Reading in the Championship then the Premier League!

did you see the Spurs game? 3 penalties we should have gotten

Haven't ManU had enough decisions against Spurs?

not sure where to start with this, sendings off that weren't fouls,

penalties given for fouls which weren't fouls which were outside the box,

Man U quickly take a free kick backwards, Spurs latch on & take the ball, through

on goal & the ref blows and says he wasn't ready. Christ as a Spurs fan of over 40 years I could literally reel off 100s but you know what they say, a picture is worth a 1000 words.

spurs.jpg

Nice to have another Spurs fan on board...not that many around here.