• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay buyers

42 posts in this topic

I had an auction end yesterday. I clearly state that I accept paypal, money orders and personal checks for bidders with good feedback (takes 10 days to clear before shipment).

So the buyer emails me last night and asks if I accept Mastercard directly (twice as it turns out). I responded each time with, "I can only accept credit cards via paypal." He also asked how fast will the item be shipped which I responded in 1-6 days via UPS ground.

Buyer's next question is would I be willing to do a bank transfer? My qualm with this is providing him or her with my bank account information. Did I mention this buyer has a feedback rating of ONE? I politely declined and offered that it seemed the best way for him to pay would be a money order (which I would receive Thursday or Friday if sent from Miami today). I also offered to ship the item 2nd day or Overnight if he wanted to pay an increased shipping fee.

The last email received asked how much more that would be. I'm waiting on an exact address for this guy, but I'm feeling wary of the deal at this point. Maybe I'm being too paranoid.

Does anyone READ the frickin' auction description AND/OR the shipping info on ebay anymore? sign-rantpost.gifmad.gif

I had an auction end yesterday. I clearly state that I accept paypal, money orders and personal checks for bidders with good feedback (takes 10 days to clear before shipment).

So the buyer emails me last night and asks if I accept Mastercard directly (twice as it turns out). I responded each time with, "I can only accept credit cards via paypal." He also asked how fast will the item be shipped which I responded in 1-6 days via UPS ground.

Buyer's next question is would I be willing to do a bank transfer? My qualm with this is providing him or her with my bank account information. Did I mention this buyer has a feedback rating of ONE? I politely declined and offered that it seemed the best way for him to pay would be a money order (which I would receive Thursday or Friday if sent from Miami today). I also offered to ship the item 2nd day or Overnight if he wanted to pay an increased shipping fee.

The last email received asked how much more that would be. I'm waiting on an exact address for this guy, but I'm feeling wary of the deal at this point. Maybe I'm being too paranoid.

Does anyone READ the frickin' auction description AND/OR the shipping info on ebay anymore? sign-rantpost.gifmad.gif

How much was it? Ship it COD-CASH. That'll fix his little red wagon.

The item ended for 145.00. A little higher than expected.

COD! Never thought of that! I will certainly offer that as an option!

Thanks FD!

If you ship it COD, make sure you ship it COD CASH, which means it can only be paid for by CA$H money, not his rubber check. You'll get a check from UPS.

I've had newbies completely unaware that you need their mailing address before you can determine the postage. foreheadslap.gif

That's what you get sometimes when you charge exact shipping.

Buyer's next question is would I be willing to do a bank transfer? My qualm with this is providing him or her with my bank account information. Did I mention this buyer has a feedback rating of ONE?

There's nothing the buyer can do with your bank account information. All the information you would be providing him - your name, your bank account number and your bank's ABA routing address - is printed on your checks, which means that everyone you've ever written a check to has this information. There is nothing nefarious that can be done with this information alone. After a few hundred EBay transactions, I've come to believe that there's at least as much quirkiness as there as there is actual dishonesty out there. Probably more. I suspect this will end up OK. Aggravating, but OK.

Buyer's next question is would I be willing to do a bank transfer? My qualm with this is providing him or her with my bank account information. Did I mention this buyer has a feedback rating of ONE?

There's nothing the buyer can do with your bank account information. All the information you would be providing him - your name, your bank account number and your bank's ABA routing address - is printed on your checks, which means that everyone you've ever written a check to has this information. There is nothing nefarious that can be done with this information alone. After a few hundred EBay transactions, I've come to believe that there's at least as much quirkiness as there as there is actual dishonesty out there. Probably more. I suspect this will end up OK. Aggravating, but OK.

Ahhh...that makes sense. He's very amiable so I may see if that's all he needs from me and go from there.

Thanks! grin.gif

The item ended for 145.00. A little higher than expected.

COD! Never thought of that! I will certainly offer that as an option!

Thanks FD!

If you ship it COD, make sure you ship it COD CASH, which means it can only be paid for by CA$H money, not his rubber check. You'll get a check from UPS.

UPS stopped accepting cash for COD's a few years ago, due to concerns about their drivers being assaulted...

You CAN however send it COD Certified, in which case UPS will only deliver the package if the receiver provides a money order, official bank check or cashier's check (which is made out to you, not to UPS). It then takes UPS about 7-14 days to get the money order back to you...

This post brought to you by Lighthouse, Winner of the 2003 Most Informative Poster Award.

This post brought to you by Lighthouse, Winner of the 2003 Most Informative Poster Award.

Hmm who was on the voting panel for this one stooges.gif thanks fo rthe positive feedback, is a Bugaboo a negative 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I still kinda miss Bug, if nothing else he made it interesting..................

Hmm who was on the voting panel for this one stooges.gif thanks fo rthe positive feedback, is a Bugaboo a negative 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I still kinda miss Bug, if nothing else he made it interesting..................

The votes were cast in this thread.

And don't even bother trying to make sense of the feedback I leave... Yours was hardly the strangest I left that day... smile.gif

So the guy didn't comment on the COD option. tongue.gif Now he saying that he can send the cash (wire or Western Union I assume) to the local UPS office...?

Asked for my passport initially (I don't have one) so I offered my DL information. No, he would then need my frickin' SSN! shocked.gifmad.gif

No way in hell that's going to happen. At a temporary impasse now. We'll see how it goes from here. frown.gif

So the guy didn't comment on the COD option. tongue.gif Now he saying that he can send the cash (wire or Western Union I assume) to the local UPS office...?

Asked for my passport initially (I don't have one) so I offered my DL information. No, he would then need my frickin' SSN! shocked.gifmad.gif

No way in hell that's going to happen. At a temporary impasse now. We'll see how it goes from here. frown.gif

Just tell him to use Bidpay. They will take a credit card and mail you the money order. This guy sounds like trouble, perhaps you should post his id so we all can put him on our blocked bidder lists.

Tomega

I tried the Bidpay route and again he didn't really comment on it. He seems to want to receive the item as quickly as possible. Doesn't look like that will happen unless he opts for COD.

He isn't in to comics so I doubt he'd cause much heartache amongst this group, but if this goes south, I'll post the ID just as a public service. frown.gifmad.gif

Tell me about it! mad.gif The latest email seems to indicate he's willing to go with Bidpay (now Western Union).

Have any of you (as sellers) shipped the item upon confirmtion from Bidpay that payment has been received OR do you wait until the money order is in hand? confused.gif