• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone collect the 70s Phantom Stranger series?

19 posts in this topic

some of the run is ok as far as DC goes the backup Spawn of Frankenstein stories by Kaluta have some great interiors All seem to be pretty hard to find in grade I have maybe 1/2 the run in NM and havent found any of the ones I need raw in a very long time

love the covers, like the interiors. i'd like a run sometime, but i'll settle for VFs, its too damn hard to get NMs

You think those are hard you should try getting a run of the original 6 issues from the 1952 series ,...all 6 books are considered scarce and hard to find even in mid grade.

Not many of these books listed in the census. Checking out the Neal Adams gallery on his website, I feel the covers to these books are on par with his House of Mystery horror covers. Lots of atmosphere. Anyone with some slabbed copies out there?
I have the whole run but none of them are slabbed. Probably won't get any current copies slabbed but may buy some of my favourite issues if the grade and price is right! cool.gif

The covers are great, yes, but I'd also rate the interiors as one of the better series of the early 1970s DCs. You have to be somewhat selective, though. The first few are dreck, Adams does the interiors for #4 cloud9.gif then Jim Aparo does some of the best work of his career from about #8 through #26. Tony Dezuniga did a fill-in there somewhere. The first few Aparo issues were written by Denny O'Neil, Gerry Conway, maybe Bob Kanigher. Then Len Wein arrives by #14 or so and takes the Stranger on a series of around the world adventures. thumbsup2.gif Good stuff-- the equal of Len Wein's JLA and Swamp Thing scripts that soon followed. After Wein and Aparo left at #26 it went downhill, but towards the end there were a few fun issues, with an early early Mike Grell art job in #33, the return of Black Orchid in a back-up series(Shelly Mayer's last super-hero contributions; scripts, not art, sadly), and what may be the first scripts turned in by current DC president Paul Levitz (before they let him write the Legion of Super-Heroes).

Zonker says: Check em out! 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

yeah the 50's phantom strangers are truly tough. I keep one eye open for them, but usually won't pony up the needed cash to buy them, too much other stuff i'd rather have. I like congo bill a lot too, but same story

I collect this stuff too, but I get the feeling that not many do. They do seem to crop up and usually go a bit under guide - I missed an issue 2 a couple of weeks ago, which was silly as I was very close, but I'd spent a lot recently at that point. Congo Bill seems much harder to find and they strike me as the toughest of the 'scarce' 50's DC's.

hey ariach, they are my 3 favorite covers from the run ( i would add the dominguez bondage-snake to the list as #4) nice work!

gp - i love those books, but my pre code horror fetish takes most of my higher price book $$$. One day though, i will have a complete phantom stranger, congo bill, it's gametime & danger trail thumbsup2.gif