• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reed Exhibitions adds new convention in Chicago....

30 posts in this topic

First, McCormick Place is NOT in downtown Chicago (stupid New Yawkers). It's nearly 4 miles south. The parking lots are blocks away and the walk is wearisome. No hotels (except for the EXPENSIVE attached Hyatt).

McCormick Place is so huge that it dwarfs the Rosemont facility. A comic book show will be lost in this place.

Second, no major show outside of the Chicago Comicon/Wizard World has ever been successful in Chicago. None.

So, when I first heard that the Reed boys and their billion-dollar company were coming to Chicago, I laughed it off. Money pit time.

Then I read that Marvel and DC were behind it. That's scary. The big publishers will only do one show in Chicago each year. That means that Wizard is out.

Yikes!

As much as Wizard has thumbed their noses at all the stuff I/we love (Golden Age/Silver Age/Bronze Age comics and creators), they never pretended that any of this stuff was important to them. They provided dealers with a great crowd and fans with a lot of booths giving away free stuff. And the prices were reasonable...

I'm not sure if the Chicago fan is ready to embrace McCormick Place and whether dealers will want to put up with all the union nonsense tha MP brings to the table (you can't even plug in computer or lamp without a union guy to do it). And this is the City of Chicago - not Don Steven's family convention center.

I'm not sure what's going on right now, but if Wizard World Chicago goes down the tubes this will rank with the killing of the golden goose in degrees of stupidity. They truly had money machine there.

bad idead 2 shows in chicago ok but no thanks for downtown evtra $100 nfor parking exrta 4100 for hotel my prices just had to go up

as far ny in oct sure balitmore can move back to sept mid ohio back to nov but guest wise the guest usually do not want to do 3 or 4 shows in a row in the same area throw in the national and chiller and now thats 5 shows. unless you want books running late so which shows do you want to lose and have them go away. because there is only so many customers to go around. if money is spent in sept at balitimore and oct in ny no money for national mid dhio or chiller in april now dealers will have to move around megacon, fx, motor city, kansas city, gen con, wwphilly, heroes, and some of them might not make it. so choose which shows shut down because some will and say goodbye to smaller shows to hard to work around hard to have a smaller show when ny is the next week before or after. Feb or march was a good month for ny nothin else to do then fx already moved to april so as not to but heads with ny now.

bad idead 2 shows in chicago ok but no thanks for downtown evtra $100 nfor parking exrta 4100 for hotel my prices just had to go up

as far ny in oct sure balitmore can move back to sept mid ohio back to nov but guest wise the guest usually do not want to do 3 or 4 shows in a row in the same area throw in the national and chiller and now thats 5 shows. unless you want books running late so which shows do you want to lose and have them go away. because there is only so many customers to go around. if money is spent in sept at balitimore and oct in ny no money for national mid dhio or chiller in april now dealers will have to move around megacon, fx, motor city, kansas city, gen con, wwphilly, heroes, and some of them might not make it. so choose which shows shut down because some will and say goodbye to smaller shows to hard to work around hard to have a smaller show when ny is the next week before or after. Feb or march was a good month for ny nothin else to do then fx already moved to april so as not to but heads with ny now.

Wha?

True that the Hyatt attached to McCormick Place is more expensive than the typical O'Hare hotel. If it's too much, though, you can stay elsewhere and take public trans or a taxi to and from the show.

True that McCormick Place is so big, the Con will occupy only a small part of it. As long as all the dealers, creators, panelists, collectors, etc. attend, it shouldn't matter that most of the facility is not in use, since the part that matters will be in good use. I've been to a professional conference at McCormick that used only a small part of it - it was outstanding, and wasn't hurt at all by the enormity of the building.

As an ex-Chicago resident and current out-of-towner, I'd much rather spend a few days at this show, with its close proximity to so much cool Chi-town stuff, than be essentially stranded out by the Airport with few interesting options.

sorry but i can not take public transport as i have to carry boxes in and out every night and now yo uwant me to add the expensive of a taxi to and from the show for 4 or 5 days thats not helping my expensive go down. as far as other thing to do after the show . when the show is over for the day and i have been on my feet for 12-15 hours all i want to do is eat and sleep so i do not need all the other things in the area.

What? Punctuation and capitalization goes a long way towards making yourself understood.

sorry but i can not take public transport as i have to carry boxes in and out every night and now yo uwant me to add the expensive of a taxi to and from the show for 4 or 5 days thats not helping my expensive go down. as far as other thing to do after the show . when the show is over for the day and i have been on my feet for 12-15 hours all i want to do is eat and sleep so i do not need all the other things in the area.

agreed. i like the rosemont. one of the easier places to load in, load out. friendly staff. cheaper hotels, etc.

still will probably give the new place a shot though.