• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best new comic of 2008

44 posts in this topic

Just picked up Locke & Key #1-6 but haven't read them yet. For me 2008's gem was Epilogue from IDW. Beautiful and dark - Steve Niles in great form, and Kyle Hotz' artwork is fantastic.

Thanks for the link to Sword #1, it was really good. I will have to look into picking up the issues or the TP.

Locke & Key

The Sword

(Still need to check out Scalped and Proof)

What is The Sword about?

Here is a link to the first issue, free on Image's website (just click on "The Sword #1"):

http://www.imagecomics.com/onlinecomics.php?start=20

I'm sure everyone knows that Scalped and Sword are two of my favorites, but they were long before 2008. Only reason I didn't add them to the list. With Scalped in the 20s, it had to have started in early to mid-2007. Sword, with semi-slow publishing, was likely at the middle of 2007 (maybe a bit later).

Pat

Doing a little verification on my statements, I saw this on Wikipedia:

"The Sword is a monthly comic book limited series created by the Luna Brothers and published by Image Comics. The first issue was published in October 2007 and the series is expected to run for two years."

Any truth to the 2 years? If they meant 2 years worth of comics, i.e. 24 issues, that might make more sense.

Also, "Scalped is a comic series written by Jason Aaron and illustrated by R. M. Guéra, published monthly by Vertigo Comics. Issue #1 was published on January 3, 2007."

I have a few issues of Scalped I got from FP's bargain bin at 30p each but haven't looked at them. May give them a whirl now.

Definitely give the series a shot!! I read 1-6 last night and it rocks!! I know it has been said before, but it really does read like an HBO series.. Now for 7-11 tonight :banana: