• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Floor bids on Comiclink

32 posts in this topic

Not as often as you would think.

I have had many books sit with one or two bidders on them just below the bid price and they wouldn't budge any more. It does happen. I end up watching the clock and closing the deal before the bids expire.

For me I've learned that one in the hand is better than two in the bush.

R.

Ditto, although I realy like bushes as I enjoy gardening.

Not as often as you would think.

I have had many books sit with one or two bidders on them just below the bid price and they wouldn't budge any more. It does happen. I end up watching the clock and closing the deal before the bids expire.

For me I've learned that one in the hand is better than two in the bush.

R.

The key statement here is that you close the deal. These books have been repeatedly listed, monthly, with bids close to ask each time, and no deal gets closed.

Why? hm

I can't answer that. I can tell you it does happen...often.

I also don't think you can expect Josh to police 1000's of listings daily on his sight.

He says he takes stuff like this seriously...that's good enough for me.

Every time I've had a concern or question I've just called a dealer and it's been resolved fairly quickly...whether it's Bob, Josh, Doug..whomever.

I'd say bid what you feel comfortable with and enjoy. That seems to be the common theme around these parts.

R.

Your welcome. Now, I should get back to readying the Rocky Mountain Avengers, and some killer 9.6-9.8 (not Rocky Mountain) Green Lanterns for the auction preview! --Josh
:roflmao:

Nice plug Josh!

Probably a shill.

But, don't the previous bids carry over when relisted? You don't have to shill each time you relist, just the first time.

Bingo -- the previous bid stayed with the book when it cycled to the top. I also checked "behind the scenes" to be certain that it is not a shill. We take shill bids very seriously and if there is indeed a shill, and we know it, we will delete the bid and/or the book, and issue a warning to the seller as well as the bidder. -Josh

(thumbs u

Thanks for posting, Josh.

However, I doubt you can actually ascertain if the bids are shilled or not. If the 'bidder' ID and the ISP of the 'bidder' differ from the user who listed the book, I just don't see how any proof of shilling could be determined.

Common sense, though, suggests that an ASM 9 with a list price of $8500 and an $8400 bid would sell quickly to a legitimate bidder.... as would the GS XMen 1 CGC 9.6 a couple months ago with a list of $3300 and a $3150 bid. hm

I can ascertain whether it is a shill or not, because I can see who the seller is and who the bidder was. I know that the seller does not know the bidder, and they do not know each other. I can also tell by looking at the back end system that the bid was placed on 5/16/2008. You can make a case for saying that the bid should disappear after this long a time period, if you like, but you can't make a case for the bid being a shill. -Josh

Your welcome. Now, I should get back to readying the Rocky Mountain Avengers, and some killer 9.6-9.8 (not Rocky Mountain) Green Lanterns for the auction preview! --Josh

Nice plug Josh!

Well, the opportunity presented itself :) Thanks!

Nice plug Josh!

Well, the opportunity presented itself :) Thanks!

:thumbsup:

Probably a shill.

But, don't the previous bids carry over when relisted? You don't have to shill each time you relist, just the first time.

Bingo -- the previous bid stayed with the book when it cycled to the top. I also checked "behind the scenes" to be certain that it is not a shill. We take shill bids very seriously and if there is indeed a shill, and we know it, we will delete the bid and/or the book, and issue a warning to the seller as well as the bidder. -Josh

(thumbs u

However, I doubt you can actually ascertain if the bids are shilled or not. If the 'bidder' ID and the ISP of the 'bidder' differ from the user who listed the book, I just don't see how any proof of shilling could be determined.

Common sense, though, suggests that an ASM 9 with a list price of $8500 and an $8400 bid would sell quickly to a legitimate bidder.... as would the GS XMen 1 CGC 9.6 a couple months ago with a list of $3300 and a $3150 bid. hm

I can ascertain whether it is a shill or not, because I can see who the seller is and who the bidder was. I know that the seller does not know the bidder, and they do not know each other. I can also tell by looking at the back end system that the bid was placed on 5/16/2008. You can make a case for saying that the bid should disappear after this long a time period, if you like, but you can't make a case for the bid being a shill. -Josh

Well it's been hit and miss for me placing a bid on the FS section, but I have had no real complaints so far

I'm sure that Comiclink does it's best to maintain the credibility of it's site.

I sure they have the data to review bids , etc.

I assume their reviews are equal to any other auctions/consignment sites.

However, if they wish to test out their ability to spot shilling, I would be happy to come forward and test their system. (thumbs u

I also checked "behind the scenes" to be certain that it is not a shill.

Well obviously the guy's not going to openly bid on his own auctions lol , he'd use a friend or contact to do it - did you check if the same person had more than one suspicious bid on this group of books?

Probably a shill.

(thumbs u

Appreciate the response, again!! (thumbs u

If the bid is from May '08, then you've convinced me that it probably isn't a floor bid in this case. Also, if you know both bidder and seller, and have done repeated business with both, then again, you've convinced me the floor bid is unlikely.

However, if you don't know both bidder and seller, it's tough to say they're not one and the same. Setting up a duplicate account to shill would be quite simple.