• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Full spine split vs. Detached Cover

2 posts in this topic

Help?

Although the possibility exists that I'm not interpreting things correctly, couldn't a "full length" spine split be considered the same thing as both covers ripped into two parts? I've seen a lot of people who state "Cover detached" on Ebay when, in fact, the covers are no longer together and generally taped together, or one part is somehow still attached and the other is taped to the spine. ???

I'm kind of curious how this works, as a completely split spine gets no more than a .5 in Overstreet's Grading Guide, as does a coverless comic. Yet one which supposedly has "Cover completely detached" can rate as much as a 2.0. Huh? Here's an example. How would this rate???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2208502148&category=68

Brent

"Good to Very Good" is ridiculously overgraded for a book with the cover detached and the bottom staple missing. But about right for NeatStuff.

Good is the highest grade in which the cover can be completely detached. (G/VG allows detachment at one staple.) A book with the cover detached AND one staple pulled out would grade Fair in my book, and CGC at 1.0.

Still, if it's cheap enough, and assuming there's no brittleness, I'd buy it. That book is a prime candidate for restoration. It looks like it can be brought up to an apparent 7.0 with a minimum of effort. Press out the roll, replace the vintage staple, reinforce the spine.