• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: Best new comic of 2008

Best new comic of 2008  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Best new comic of 2008

36 posts in this topic

I just picked up the RASL trade and read through it in about 20 minutes...not much dialogue. My thoughts...not enough dialogue, issues read really fast, art is horrible, story is intriguing.

I would add this one to my subscription list but I'm not sure I can wait for a "quarterly" book and I'll have to reread the TPB's before diving in to the "annual" TPB. Given the loooong wait time between issue and the fast read, not sure this one will hold my attention. Good story so far though and I'll definitely pick up the next trade, even if it is at Chrismas..

I just picked up the RASL trade and read through it in about 20 minutes...not much dialogue. My thoughts...not enough dialogue, issues read really fast, art is horrible, story is intriguing.

I would add this one to my subscription list but I'm not sure I can wait for a "quarterly" book and I'll have to reread the TPB's before diving in to the "annual" TPB. Given the loooong wait time between issue and the fast read, not sure this one will hold my attention. Good story so far though and I'll definitely pick up the next trade, even if it is at Chrismas..

i'll defend RASL like i did in the RASL thread (:

the art is nowhere close to horrible..

there is not much dialogue BECAUSE the art is so strong... geesh

just picked up a locke & key #1 first print in the 50 ct box at my LCS. doesn't change my vote.

yeah, i read 1-4...just didn't do it for me :shrug: methinks that if stephen king's son didn't write it, none of us would have ever heard of it...

Sad, but true. It really demonstrates how hard it can be to break into comics. I used to love Stephen King, but his new stuff is just.....eh, you know. Without the publicity about who the writer is, I doubt it would have taken off. As fate would have it, it's a darned good read no matter who the writer is, but without the hype, I never would have touched it.

Silly argument. The art and storytelling should be mutually exclusive. Having "strong" art shouldn't allow the writer to take the day off. I guess we'll agree to disagree, but I think the RASL art borders on horrible...

Silly argument. The art and storytelling should be mutually exclusive. Having "strong" art shouldn't allow the writer to take the day off. I guess we'll agree to disagree, but I think the RASL art borders on horrible...

earlier you said you were 'intrigued' by the storyline, now you say the writer is taking the day off?

hm

I'm surprised Kick didn't make the list. Rasl is good too, but it's too long between issues. Project Superpowers didn't do anything for me really.

Yeah, I wanted to get into Project Superpowers, but I didn't like how they jumped around to the different characters. Guess that was the whole point and I misunderstood their angle. (shrug)

I'm not sure the two should be mutually exclusive, but I can generally seperate the two in my mind. And writing doesn't always have to be dialogue. I love Sergio Aragones becasue he tells stories without dialogue, which means anyone in the world can "read" his stuff and get it. Dave Sim has done it too, and Don Martin did it as well. I know lots have used the wordless technique, but these are the ones that popped immediately to mind as being particularly good at it.

I'm not sure where I was originally headed with this....I got interupted twice while typing.

lol

Well I'm one of the 2 that voted for Project Superpowers.

Thought it was great.

I liked the issue I read (#0? #1?) but it suffered from the same thing every Dynamite book suffers from. Too :censored: many variant covers! I don't make it in to my LCS every week, so I don't keep up like I should with new books. I got frustrated with buying what I thought was a new issue only to find it to be a variant.

As a rule, I won't buy Dynamite books simply because I can't keep up with which issue is which at a glance.

Well I'm one of the 2 that voted for Project Superpowers.

Thought it was great.

I liked the issue I read (#0? #1?) but it suffered from the same thing every Dynamite book suffers from. Too :censored: many variant covers! I don't make it in to my LCS every week, so I don't keep up like I should with new books. I got frustrated with buying what I thought was a new issue only to find it to be a variant.

As a rule, I won't buy Dynamite books simply because I can't keep up with which issue is which at a glance.

You do realize that Dynamite put issue numbers on their covers?

:baiting:

I agree though. When I do my pull list online I end up with about a 200$ bill and then I start going thru taking off the variants and inevitably there's 100$ worth of Dynamite variants I take off.

I suppose if I was a completist to that extent or a variant chaser for a certain artist that would be convenient but it really irritates me that I have to take off books I don't want rather than having to add variants I might want.

By the time I take all the varient cover offering of my pull list i drop from about 200$ to 35$ or so.

Yeah, on my monthly list of 30-40 comics, there is really only 1 series that I will go out of my way to get variants for, but almost all of them have multiple covers, sometimes even at regular price. I could easily double or triple my cost getting variants for all the series. I'm enjoy completing a series just as much as everyone else, but either I have to cut my list in half or start coming up with a lot more money to get the complete collection.