• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If a crash does come....what will YOU do?

107 posts in this topic

That sure sounds like you're planning on enjoying it. Actually it's even worse, because you're planning on GLOATING about it.

Actually, that Sig was in joking response to all the gung-ho attitudes regarding the upcoming crash.

I don't believe you. As far as I've seen and as you've evidenced countless times, you're both mean-spirited and vindictive. I've also seen you gloat about being right- which isn't surprising since you're dangerously obsessed with always being right; so you gloating about this topic is really the more likely scenario to me.

Not only is he rich, but we're all poor. thumbsup2.gif

I'll continue to buy what I like at prices I think are fair. Crash? It will simply be a market correction Prices on high grade silver and bronze books have gone up several hundred and sometimes several thousand percent thanks to CGC so to not expect some correction is a little close minded. I'm sure some people will never (or a very long time) see the prices they paid for some things that are destined to tumble. As for Moderns being priced at wacky multiples I have no pity for those stuck with them They are about the same as Pogs to me

geez.

it seems as though every second thread on every other message board is basically a crash discussion...

so here's a question... how many panicking people (sellers) will it take to *induce* a crash? consider that daily - hundreds of people are learning about ebay and comics on ebay - and are ADDING speculative money INTO the hobby. these types however, are of course not in it for the long haul. they'll be out as soon as things become less rosy.

so... what if everyone on this board decided to sell ALL their graded books, and NOT BID on any books - would that precipitate the beginning of the end?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

so... what if everyone on this board decided to sell ALL their graded books, and NOT BID on any books - would that precipitate the beginning of the end?

If they all decided to sell at the same time? On a visible marketplace such as eBay?

Yes

Jim

Haven't the coin and card markets gone through some kind of 'correction' or 'crash?'

I think a correlation between all three markets is highly likely. Especially if coins and cards rose precipitously once grading was introduced, and then fell dramatically at some point afterwards.

If that didn't happen please just ignore me. grin.gif

As to the question at hand. I wouldn't abandon the hobby and maybe pick up some books IF prices dropped that badly. If the market never sees a correction/crash I'll be just as happy reading my TPB's and the few runs of books I do have around.

Any sustained weakness in the high-grade CGC EBay market will spell doom, since as you pointed out, there is quite a bit of short-term mad money out there looking to jump to the "next big thing".

Once they jump, it's all over but the crying.

I don't believe you. As far as I've seen and as you've evidenced countless times, you're both mean-spirited and vindictive.

Gimme a break. I used to post on here about how I felt bad for speculators who got reamed in coins, cards and soon-to-be, comics, and I was berated by the black-hearts to stp worrying about fools and what they do with their money.

So I post some empathetic viewpoints, and get slammed, and then I stop doing so, and get slammed again?

Your motives are about as wafer thin as your arms.

I think a correlation between all three markets is highly likely. Especially if coins and cards rose precipitously once grading was introduced, and then fell dramatically at some point afterwards.

If that didn't happen please just ignore me. grin.gif

You know it happened, and hopefully saw that zany Coin Index graph that Gene posted earlier. They both dropped like a rock once the fad status wore off, as does anything else that spikes in value over the short term.

I don't believe you. As far as I've seen and as you've evidenced countless times, you're both mean-spirited and vindictive.

Gimme a break. I used to post on here about how I felt bad for speculators who got reamed in coins, cards and soon-to-be, comics, and I was berated by the black-hearts to stp worrying about fools and what they do with their money.

So I post some empathetic viewpoints, and get slammed, and then I stop doing so, and get slammed again?

Your motives are about as wafer thin as your arms.

Don't forget to tell him he's poor. thumbsup2.gif

Iand worse the market for Raw cards went way way down

That's the one point that does scare me, as I'd like to see a healthy back issue market, regardless of how CGC comics do. I'd still like to buy the odd raw book, but the prices dropped off the table in sportscards, and the supply dried up with it.

I guess the mentality was, if this PSA 10 is only selling for $5, why would I buy raw?

They both dropped like a rock once the fad status wore off, as does anything else that spikes in value over the short term.

tickle me elmo.

couldn't have been bought for a king's ransome pre-christmas.

post christmas (literally, the Next_Week) - couldn't get them off the shelf.

[quote

Yes. I (gasp!) collected beanie babies at the height of their popularity several years back, and you could buy brand new beanies when they came out and immediately sell them on Ebay and at shows for twice what you paid. Even older beanies were selling for 10x original price. Then all of a sudden (it literally happened overnight), people quit bidding. Those that had the beanies didn't want or need more, and those that were buying already owned them and didn't want more. The values dropped in half in a month's time, and slowly kept dropping. You can now buy those same beanies for about $2 instead of $10. Not an exact comparison I know, but telling. Do you really think Hulk #181 is rare? Or Spider-Man #129. Or Spectacular Spider-Man #1? At some point people are going to wake up, and realize spending 10x guide for a common book is stupid, and the values will fall.

They both dropped like a rock once the fad status wore off, as does anything else that spikes in value over the short term.

tickle me elmo.

couldn't have been bought for a king's ransome pre-christmas.

post christmas (literally, the Next_Week) - couldn't get them off the shelf.

Same phenomena happened with Furbies.... foreheadslap.gif

The key element is to identify if you're buying comics because you really want to and enjoy your collection for what it is, or if you're doing it because everyone else is, it looks like a "good investment", or to brag about your purchases on here?

You'd better decide quick, because very soon, everyone else will.

how long is the short term on CGC? IMO the silver age market will continue to climb in prices (as will GA books) for those titles (ASM,FF,JIM,) that are sought after. Early bronze will level off and mid-later bronze will taper off and then become stagnant. There is still $ to be made in cgc books. Sure, maybe the amounts are not there on 9.4 common bronze but they are there for the harder to find books and dare i say it, the 1968 books. Granted, the prices may have fallen off a bit on these but one can still haul in a few hundred by purchasing at a good price and turning it over on ebay/heritage/etc if one has a good eye and can grade accurately.

I am not a big time dealer nor do i pretend to be but i do try and buy/sell books for fun and for profit and am successful at it. I keep a few and sell off the rest. And the $$ used comes from the sale of the books. I don't put "house" $ into the transactions. Gotta pay the mortgage, etc with that.

So although the prices may come down a bit, the silver and early bronze market are holding strong IMO. No need to panic. Of course if you bought at high prices, then that is another story but that is usually the case in all walks of life. sign-rantpost.gif

Personally I don't see a crash as a big issue. I honestly believe my books will be worth more in 20 years than they are now. They might not be worth more in 5 years time, but unless I plan on dying between now and then, it's no biggie. If things crash, I'll stop buying for a while and hope I can come in at the bottom. I'll probably miss the bottom, but I'll still be lower than now. It's not a problem - I have stacks of books I haven't read yet and that's my primary interest rather than investment potential.

I don't know how far analogies with coins or cards translate. Comics are a fairly bizarre market; what seems to be a fairly small number of overgrown kids attempting to satisfy an anal desire to collect and read superhero fantasies. That isn't a dig at anyone since I'm here too. If there were any sanity in the market, then no one would ever spend a $100 on a comic, let alone $100,000. I imagine coins are more sane, along with just about every other market in the world. Cards might be a bit off centre, but they're almost 2D. Presumably issues like PQ, QP, page colour etc: etc: don't hit the equation. They must be a lot easier to grade (?) so the craziness at the high levels is hard to justify.

confused.gif I'm probably just talking [!@#%^&^], go onto the next poster !