• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think the ComicConnect Action #1 will sell for?

what will the GRAIL sell for?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. what will the GRAIL sell for?

349 posts in this topic

a little gem from the NOD Boards, which was my repsonse just this morning to a particularly obnoxious and unsolicated Oldbuck reference:

Steve, I can assure you that no negativity on my part was meant with the response.

It was meant to show that yes, maybe Dizzy can eventually see the light just as you did, but also that you absolutely, positively put your money where your mouth is - you believed OO was a great thing and stepped up to the plate in support of that (both vocally and monetarily). My earlier response to Dizzy was that if he really felt Action #1 was overpriced as compared to MF #52 then he should search some out and purchase them.

Nothing but respect for you buddy.

I have an MF #52 in CGC 6.0 COW pages (no notes) that I'd be happy to sell to Dizzy at a third of this Action #1's final price?

:baiting:

a little gem from the NOD Boards, which was my repsonse just this morning to a particularly obnoxious and unsolicated Oldbuck reference:

Steve, I can assure you that no negativity on my part was meant with the response.

It was meant to show that yes, maybe Dizzy can eventually see the light just as you did, but also that you absolutely, positively put your money where your mouth is - you believed OO was a great thing and stepped up to the plate in support of that (both vocally and monetarily). My earlier response to Dizzy was that if he really felt Action #1 was overpriced as compared to MF #52 then he should search some out and purchase them.

Nothing but respect for you buddy.

I have an MF #52 in CGC 6.0 COW pages (no notes) that I'd be happy to sell to Dizzy at a third of this Action #1's final price?

If I have anything left after I win the Action 1, we'll talk. :devil:

Bottom line as an example... The Overstreet #37 lists a NM- Action 1 @ $600,000 and a More Fun 52 in a NM- @ $105,000. There is no way on earth, for me anyway, that there is anywhere near a $495,000 difference in base value between these two books in NM- condition. That's just ridiculous IMO.
I can think of several ways. Anywhere you go you will find people that know Superman, who can complete the line "Look, up in the sky..." so the cultural importance of Action 1 is on sale here as much as anything else. The Spectre is cool to comic geeks like us, but as a character, and More Fun #52 as a comic, is orders of magnitude less important than the first appearance of Superman. That's your difference in price.

People who do not collect or read comics or never have are nonetheless aware of the existance of Superman. The character is on par with if not equal to Mickey Mouse in American culture. In 2000 years people will shrug off the Spectre if they even know of its existence but Superman will be held up as exemplar of American cultural artifacts from the 20th century. That's your difference in price.

Action Comics #1 is possibly the single most important piece of illustrated American culture in existence period, bar none, end of story. There are dozens of Rockwells and Leyendeckers and Wyeths and innumerable magazine covers, advertisements, and illustrations that they created to choose from but there is only one Action Comics #1. There's your difference is price.

Superman is as important to American culture as Sundblom's apple-cheeked red-suited Santa Claus is to the mass consumerization of Christmas. Superman of Action Comics #1 is as important to illustrated text, to comics, as Flagg's I Want You poster was to the Army. That's your difference in price.

More Fun #52, All American #16, Batman #1? Not museum worthy. Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27, Captain America #1? Museum worthy.

One of the best posts of the year. (thumbs u

I would give it the hands down win, if you hadnt included Cap #1 in the same breath as Action #1 and 'tec #27!

Bottom line as an example... The Overstreet #37 lists a NM- Action 1 @ $600,000 and a More Fun 52 in a NM- @ $105,000. There is no way on earth, for me anyway, that there is anywhere near a $495,000 difference in base value between these two books in NM- condition. That's just ridiculous IMO.
I can think of several ways. Anywhere you go you will find people that know Superman, who can complete the line "Look, up in the sky..." so the cultural importance of Action 1 is on sale here as much as anything else. The Spectre is cool to comic geeks like us, but as a character, and More Fun #52 as a comic, is orders of magnitude less important than the first appearance of Superman. That's your difference in price.

People who do not collect or read comics or never have are nonetheless aware of the existance of Superman. The character is on par with if not equal to Mickey Mouse in American culture. In 2000 years people will shrug off the Spectre if they even know of its existence but Superman will be held up as exemplar of American cultural artifacts from the 20th century. That's your difference in price.

Action Comics #1 is possibly the single most important piece of illustrated American culture in existence period, bar none, end of story. There are dozens of Rockwells and Leyendeckers and Wyeths and innumerable magazine covers, advertisements, and illustrations that they created to choose from but there is only one Action Comics #1. There's your difference is price.

Superman is as important to American culture as Sundblom's apple-cheeked red-suited Santa Claus is to the mass consumerization of Christmas. Superman of Action Comics #1 is as important to illustrated text, to comics, as Flagg's I Want You poster was to the Army. That's your difference in price.

More Fun #52, All American #16, Batman #1? Not museum worthy. Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27, Captain America #1? Museum worthy.

One of the best posts of the year. (thumbs u

I would give it the hands down win, if you hadnt included Cap #1 in the same breath as Action #1 and 'tec #27!

I know man, he was on an incredible roll then pulled a Leon Lett at the goal line with the Cap 1 reference

lol

My personal belief is we are seeing a continual shift is comic collecting. People have been shying away from collecting runs to collecting key issues and classic covers which is why the "filler" issues have been pretty stagnant in price. Because of this, we are seeing and ever increasing price for keys and classic covers and a stagnant/decaying price for other books. I remember when I first started collecting in the early 1970s and looking at Robert Bells catalogs wishing I could afford a Spiderman 1. Here I am, more than 30 years later thinking the same thing.

I beleieve steve geppi does not have an Unrestored copy...

If this is true, this is one of the more astounding facts I've ever read about the comic collecting hobby.

Given that he seems to be liquidating portions of his collection, though, it seems doubtful that Geppi would be a player here.

Sensationalism??? Wow, thanks!!!

You are trolling. :headbang:

But while I'm here, the difference between a 9.2 MF 52 and a 9.2 Action #1, in reality, would be more like $1,500,000-$2,000,000. This 6.0 will sell for more than a 9.2 MF52 will sell for in 10 years.

Pardon me boys for expressing a difference in opinion. What the heck am I thinking and how dare I be such a black sheep. I guess I must be :insane:

I will no longer rantrant and will just stick to creating new threads on new pick-ups. :devil:

Having a difference of opinion is cool. I'm jaded when it comes to posters here, so I'm wary when someone comes on and stirring up a hornet's nest with an opinion so far out of left field. If you honestly feel like Action #1 is overrated and, regardless of what the sales results say, that the spread between it and MF52 is too large, then more power to you.

Is $350k a lot for a mid grade comic? he!! yea !

I think you're the first person I've ever heard refer to an unrestored Fine Action #1 as being mid-grade. I don't know you at all, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say you have a much broader SA/BA background than GA?

Mid-grade is mid-grade. Mid-grade doesn't mean "high grade" just because a particular book is hard to find in mid-grade. It simply means that that particular book is still highly desirable in mid-grade, whereas a book that is common in mid-grade is not as desirable, but they are still both in the same category of grade.

Is $350k a lot for a mid grade comic? he!! yea !

I think you're the first person I've ever heard refer to an unrestored Fine Action #1 as being mid-grade. I don't know you at all, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say you have a much broader SA/BA background than GA?

lol

Although the book may be rare in high grade, 6.0 is still a mid grade book regardless of the age.

(thumbs u

We still accept you as "one of us" Dizzy, no matter what your opinions are. It may be wise to re-evaluate your belief system though, because we have seen countless times on the these Boards that when it's all against one, the "all" are always right.

So sayeth brother Steve "Obadiah" Meyer (thumbs u

It's not often that we see a black sheep admit the error of his ways by immediately dumping his false idol at a huge loss.

Although the book may be rare in high grade, 6.0 is still a mid grade book regardless of the age.

(thumbs u

Bah. if .5 - 10.0 is a hill, 6.0 is on the downward slope, not the upward climb.

Just because it's too low a grade for you doesn't mean that it's not better than the median (even if by a little bit).

that is what crowzilla meant by

So sayeth brother Steve "Obadiah" Meyer

I'm a big boy, and there is no gun to my head when I buy, sell or trade. The funny thing about these Boards ( not the NOD Boards per se ), I mean ALL of these comic related / blog / say things hiding behind a computer screen that would never be said to someones face, for fear of being punched in the nose Boards, is that people are looking for you to screw up / lose money on something / have things not work out.....and they spew the negative retelling of the event over and over and over again....as if it effects them in some way, which of course, it doesn't.

Did you know that some of my biggest profits as a seller was on pre-Golden Age books?....no, you wouldn't know that, because that would never be talked about over and over and over again. Yes, Oldbuck resales did not work our for me, but I can tell you this, there have been hundreds of profitable resales over the years on all kinds of comics from different Era's that made the loss on a few Oldbucks just a pebble on the beach. Here are just a few examples of some home runs I have hit on pre-GA books, and no I will not give you the figures of what I paid, because frankly, it is none of your G-d damn business

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/publi ... /07&arch=y

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/publi ... /05&arch=y

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/publi ... /08&arch=y

And the whole problem with your approach to collecting seems to be your need for acceptance of what you collect by others, and even worse, your need to show vindication of what you collect by how much money you've made from flipping collecting those other books.

Who gives a mess, Steve? I'm certainly one of those who is interested in the monetary aspect of the hobby, but you seem to be the only one here who measures everything on a monetary basis. If you like something, then go ahead and like it, and screw whether other people like too it or whether they think you paid too much money for something or whether you got a great deal by paying so little.

And the whole problem with your approach to collecting seems to be your need for acceptance of what you collect by others, and even worse, your need to show vindication of what you collect by how much money you've made from flipping collecting those other books.

Who gives a mess, Steve? I'm certainly one of those who is interested in the monetary aspect of the hobby, but you seem to be the only one here who measures everything on a monetary basis. If you like something, then go ahead and like it, and screw whether other people like too it or whether they think you paid too much money for something or whether you got a great deal by paying so little.

sorry folks....couldn't respond last night to this....I was too busy worrying what other people were thinking, and counting my money.

Tim....while searching for the right words, and trying to "respond" and not "react" to what you have said here, I think I have found the perfect blend of an appropriate response, while maintaining my professionalism, as I am in Banking by trade.

So, with no further delay......... go yourself

Now maybe we can get back to the original intent of this thread?.....Action #1 auction value

hey, wheres the new nice older but wiser Steve that looks back at his guns blazing entry into Boards lore with the infamous OO vs Superman thread in which from out of nowhere with nobody agreeing with you defending your (now admittedly) way off base assertion that )) was a 20K book worthy of comparison to Action1?

Based on his post dredging it all up, Tim maybe be a bit less willing to forgive and forget than most here, but have you now closed the door to any and all residual attitude cause by YOUR former attitudes and behavior here??

?

hey, wheres the new nice older but wiser Steve that looks back at his guns blazing entry into Boards lore with the infamous OO vs Superman thread in which from out of nowhere with nobody agreeing with you defending your (now admittedly) way off base assertion that )) was a 20K book worthy of comparison to Action1?

Based on his post dredging it all up, Tim maybe be a bit less willing to forgive and forget than most here, but have you now closed the door to any and all residual attitude cause by YOUR former attitudes and behavior here??

?

I am still the nice, older and wiser Steve :foryou: that looks back at his.............

with that said, I am not going to take any mess from anyone who is disrespectful towards me and WAY out of line.......

now aman...back to business...did you vote on the estimated auction value for the Action 1?

<...back to business...did you vote on the estimated auction value for the Action 1? >

Hey Steve, I did, and I think it should be equal to or less than a More Fun 52. :devil::baiting::kidaround:

?

I am still the nice, older and wiser Steve :foryou: that looks back at his.............

with that said, I am not going to take any mess from anyone who is disrespectful towards me and WAY out of line.......

now aman...back to business...did you vote on the estimated auction value for the Action 1?

I voted. but really dont know with certainty. We know what it "should" sell for. But there are many qualifiers as I've posted earlier. I dont think it will go for less than say 275 (which is still a big sale) and might (with some spirited competition and zeal) reach 400, or higher. We will just have to wait and see. There are many factors at play here, if you know what I mean.

While I recognize the importance of the book for me personally it is a bit overrated. As predominantly a Timely collector this book just doesn't get my juices flowing that much, I'd much rather own a nice Tec #27 as Batman is a much better character. I guess after years of all the campy Superman movies with the same -script being redone time after time and the decades of goofy covers I just never was fond of how DC handled the character.