• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think the ComicConnect Action #1 will sell for?

what will the GRAIL sell for?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. what will the GRAIL sell for?

349 posts in this topic

Sensationalism??? Wow, thanks!!!

Bottom line as an example... The Overstreet #37 lists a NM- Action 1 @ $600,000 and a More Fun 52 in a NM- @ $105,000. There is no way on earth, for me anyway, that there is anywhere near a $495,000 difference in base value between these two books in NM- condition. That's just ridiculous IMO.

normally, I would just say you certainly are "dizzy", and move on, but I'm trying to see your point of view, and while More Fun 52 is a great book, ask 50 people walking down the street if they know who the Spectre is or can tell you anything about him, O.K. now ask the same people about Superman, huge difference.

I don't agree with this analogy. Ask those same 50 people if they know who Honus Wagner is and then ask them if they know who Babe Ruth is. Who do you think they're going to say??? But the T206 Honus Wagner card (certainly a more obscure player to non-baseball enthusiast) is certainly the holy grail of baseball cards by a ton over any Babe Ruth card.

I don't know anything about baseball cards, but isn't the Wagner cards price based on rarity alone, (only 10 exist or so I think I heard) and that it was hand cut from a sheet ?

I know what youre saying....action 1 in fine 6.0 [[being rare]] is not going to hurt its value potential because its rare...Maybe on another book but certainly not on the pinnacle book of the hobby.

I don't know anything about baseball cards, but isn't the Wagner cards price based on rarity alone, (only 10 exist or so I think I heard) and that it was hand cut from a sheet ?
11 known but I recall reading something not that long ago about another surfacing. There are some other cards nearly as scarce (Old Judge's and the like from the late 1800's) but none as well known.

And Dizzy: Asking someone about a Wagner card will get you more responses than Spectre because it's been covered more in the mainstream media. Say, akin to how many people would know Captain America from the 'Death Of' stories when Marvel offed him.

Bottom line as an example... The Overstreet #37 lists a NM- Action 1 @ $600,000 and a More Fun 52 in a NM- @ $105,000. There is no way on earth, for me anyway, that there is anywhere near a $495,000 difference in base value between these two books in NM- condition. That's just ridiculous IMO.
I can think of several ways. Anywhere you go you will find people that know Superman, who can complete the line "Look, up in the sky..." so the cultural importance of Action 1 is on sale here as much as anything else. The Spectre is cool to comic geeks like us, but as a character, and More Fun #52 as a comic, is orders of magnitude less important than the first appearance of Superman. That's your difference in price.

People who do not collect or read comics or never have are nonetheless aware of the existance of Superman. The character is on par with if not equal to Mickey Mouse in American culture. In 2000 years people will shrug off the Spectre if they even know of its existence but Superman will be held up as exemplar of American cultural artifacts from the 20th century. That's your difference in price.

Action Comics #1 is possibly the single most important piece of illustrated American culture in existence period, bar none, end of story. There are dozens of Rockwells and Leyendeckers and Wyeths and innumerable magazine covers, advertisements, and illustrations that they created to choose from but there is only one Action Comics #1. There's your difference is price.

Superman is as important to American culture as Sundblom's apple-cheeked red-suited Santa Claus is to the mass consumerization of Christmas. Superman of Action Comics #1 is as important to illustrated text, to comics, as Flagg's I Want You poster was to the Army. That's your difference in price.

More Fun #52, All American #16, Batman #1? Not museum worthy. Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27, Captain America #1? Museum worthy.

Boy tHat was good!

Before I lose any shred of camaraderie here that I may have had, I'm done giving my 2c on the subject. :foryou::grin:
I would think if anything arguing opinions about funnybooks would add to your sense of camaraderie here. It's what we do, isn't it? Geeking funnybooks.

Before I lose any shred of camaraderie here that I may have had, I'm done giving my 2c on the subject. :foryou::grin:

We still accept you as "one of us" Dizzy, no matter what your opinions are. It may be wise to re-evaluate your belief system though, because we have seen countless times on the these Boards that when it's all against one, the "all" are always right.

We still accept you as "one of us" Dizzy, no matter what your opinions are. It may be wise to re-evaluate your belief system though, because we have seen countless times on the these Boards that when it's all against one, the "all" are always right.

So sayeth brother Steve "Obadiah" Meyer (thumbs u

No of course not..Im laughing at when steve was the target of the boardies when he was comparing the importance of [["Obadiah]]]...to the importance of action 1 a few years back.

Obadiah is one of the very 1st comicbooks..........

that is what crowzilla meant by

So sayeth brother Steve "Obadiah" Meyer

a little gem from the NOD Boards, which was my repsonse just this morning to a particularly obnoxious and unsolicated Oldbuck reference:

I'm a big boy, and there is no gun to my head when I buy, sell or trade. The funny thing about these Boards ( not the NOD Boards per se ), I mean ALL of these comic related / blog / say things hiding behind a computer screen that would never be said to someones face, for fear of being punched in the nose Boards, is that people are looking for you to screw up / lose money on something / have things not work out.....and they spew the negative retelling of the event over and over and over again....as if it effects them in some way, which of course, it doesn't.

Did you know that some of my biggest profits as a seller was on pre-Golden Age books?....no, you wouldn't know that, because that would never be talked about over and over and over again. Yes, Oldbuck resales did not work our for me, but I can tell you this, there have been hundreds of profitable resales over the years on all kinds of comics from different Era's that made the loss on a few Oldbucks just a pebble on the beach. Here are just a few examples of some home runs I have hit on pre-GA books, and no I will not give you the figures of what I paid, because frankly, it is none of your G-d damn business

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/publi ... /07&arch=y

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/publi ... /05&arch=y

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/publi ... /08&arch=y

a little gem from the NOD Boards, which was my repsonse just this morning to a particularly obnoxious and unsolicated Oldbuck reference:

Steve, I can assure you that no negativity on my part was meant with the response.

It was meant to show that yes, maybe Dizzy can eventually see the light just as you did, but also that you absolutely, positively put your money where your mouth is - you believed OO was a great thing and stepped up to the plate in support of that (both vocally and monetarily). My earlier response to Dizzy was that if he really felt Action #1 was overpriced as compared to MF #52 then he should search some out and purchase them.

Nothing but respect for you buddy.

that is what crowzilla meant by

So sayeth brother Steve "Obadiah" Meyer

I'm a big boy, and there is no gun to my head when I buy, sell or trade. The funny thing about these Boards ( not the NOD Boards per se ), I mean ALL of these comic related / blog / say things hiding behind a computer screen that would never be said to someones face, for fear of being punched in the nose Boards, is that people are looking for you to screw up / lose money on something / have things not work out.....and they spew the negative retelling of the event over and over and over again....as if it effects them in some way, which of course, it doesn't.

Did you know that some of my biggest profits as a seller was on pre-Golden Age books?....no, you wouldn't know that, because that would never be talked about over and over and over again. Yes, Oldbuck resales did not work our for me, but I can tell you this, there have been hundreds of profitable resales over the years on all kinds of comics from different Era's that made the loss on a few Oldbucks just a pebble on the beach. Here are just a few examples of some home runs I have hit on pre-GA books, and no I will not give you the figures of what I paid, because frankly, it is none of your G-d damn business

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/publi ... /07&arch=y

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/publi ... /05&arch=y

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/publi ... /08&arch=y

Dude..chill...we all love you here. It's ok.

No of course not..Im laughing at when steve was the target of the boardies when he was comparing the importance of [["Obadiah]]]...to the importance of action 1 a few years back.

Obadiah is one of the very 1st comicbooks..........

(thumbs u beer.gif

Steve, I can assure you that no negativity on my part was meant with the response.

It was meant to show that yes, maybe Dizzy can eventually see the light just as you did, but also that you absolutely, positively put your money where your mouth is - you believed OO was a great thing and stepped up to the plate in support of that (both vocally and monetarily). My earlier response to Dizzy was that if he really felt Action #1 was overpriced as compared to MF #52 then he should search some out and purchase them.

Nothing but respect for you buddy.

:luhv: <3 :cloud9::acclaim: