• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HAS THE COMIC MARKET GONE CRAZY??!!!!!!!!

32 posts in this topic

Well, with a 6.5 copy having sold within the past two months for $4,900 and a 7.0 selling at the NYCC for over 5 grand, what do you think a reasonable current market price might be for a 9.0 copy, Dr. Blake?

And to think, Avengers 1 CGC 9.0 was selling for less than $6000 5 years ago. Personally, I think that book should be selling for $8000 to $10,000 considering there are over 20 copies with that grade or better. $28,000 is ridiculous.

The optimist in me is hoping we have an influx of new buyers/collectors/investors from other venues. :wishluck:

Well, with a 6.5 copy having sold within the past two months for $4,900 and a 7.0 selling at the NYCC for over 5 grand, what do you think a reasonable current market price might be for a 9.0 copy, Dr. Blake?

I would think this book will track very closely with the averages (not value) of Hulk #1.

The jump from 6.5 to 7.0 or even 7.5 is now astronomical in difference. The more movie hype that appears the higher this book will go.

Over 5K for a 7.0 this weekend hm may have to test the waters with my copy.

I think the Avengers had been undervalued for a long time. I'm not surprised the prices are finally catching up to other titles from the same period. And high grade Avengers #1s rarely come up for sale. Of course, the movie buzz doesn't hurt either.

All very true.

And to think, Avengers 1 CGC 9.0 was selling for less than $6000 5 years ago. Personally, I think that book should be selling for $8000 to $10,000 considering there are over 20 copies with that grade or better. $28,000 is ridiculous.

The optimist in me is hoping we have an influx of new buyers/collectors/investors from other venues. :wishluck:

The realist in me would state that they are already here, and have recently been ludicrously raising prices, even on ebay (most of the lots I've been after are generally being won by bidders with low feedback). Never mind Clink...

So yes, the market has gone crazy lately. One wonders how such dramatic price leaps can be maintained....

Use up all your capital letters in the subject line?

Good grief :tonofbricks:

I think by the time he's done typing the hyperbolic subject line, all of his energy is spent... ;)

I am all verklempt.. I need a moment.

I will give you a topic.

"The Romanesque Church design was based on the Roman Basilica."

Discuss.

Screw that. I want to discuss the real history behind the fall of Pompeii!

I think the Avengers had been undervalued for a long time. I'm not surprised the prices are finally catching up to other titles from the same period. And high grade Avengers #1s rarely come up for sale. Of course, the movie buzz doesn't hurt either.

All very true.

Ditto. You see a lot of VG to VG/FN copies out there, but even in FN they do not come up for sale on eBay or other venues that often. Look at how readily available nice copies of X-Men #1 are in comparison to this one. The red and green cover colors are a killer for showing any creases/bends.

How much would a nice 6.0 copy be worth right now - $4K?

All very true.

Ditto. You see a lot of VG to VG/FN copies out there, but even in FN they do not come up for sale on eBay or other venues that often. Look at how readily available nice copies of X-Men #1 are in comparison to this one. The red and green cover colors are a killer for showing any creases/bends.

I agree with this as well. Of the major Marvel first issues, this is the one I see the least of in high grade. A few years ago I bought an 8.5 for about $3,800... blew me away that I could get it that cheap even then. I think this book has been waiting to take off for a while. Not sure that $30k makes sense quite yet for a 9.0, but if you consider that a 9.4 might go for $80-100k (if not more) in this market, maybe that price isn't all that unrealistic.

Yes, because that sort of bubble is just what this hobby needs. doh!