• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC 2009 Report/Art Day

28 posts in this topic

A brief report: The show is getting bigger each year. I used to scoff when people would say that this could be the "new" San Diego. I still don't think it's likely given the limitations of the space and the logistics of holding a SD-size con in New York City...but I don't think it's impossible anymore, either. It feels like SD did 10 years ago and SD has blown up 3-4X since. It definitely feels like the demand is there on the East Coast.

A highlight for me was hanging out at the Brian Bolland/Chris Caira table. Bolland brought several sweet vintage pieces which were amazing to see in person. He also brought an inch-thick folder filled with prelims. An incredible display. Included were several complete issues of CAMELOT 3000, stapled together. He broke them up-- which seemed a shame because they had been kept together all these years and looked really cool stapled together-- but made a lot of collectors happy.

Artists alley was packed, as usual. As far as I could tell, sketchlists were full for most (if not all) the artists. OA dealers, however, seemed to have a slow go of it. There weren't hordes of collectors crowded around booths trying to go through boxes/portfolios. A huge contrast from a year ago.

I didn't go to the show with any specific goals in mind (other than to hang out with friends), so was happy to find some cool art and get on some sketchlists. Here's what I got:

http://comicartfans.com/GalleryNew.asp?GCat=9754

Good hanging out with friends again, meeting new people, and sorry I didn't get a chance to meet everyone I had hoped to. Hope to get a chance to do it again next year.

Felix,

I did not get a chance to thank you for your help over the weekend. I would have peed my pants on more than one occasion if you did not stop and fill in for me while I used the facilities. Thanks for that and for running around helping me out when I needed it.

As for the Camelot 3000 complete issues....they didn't get broken up. The ones you saw loose were the ones that Brian had loose coming into the show. He was willing to break them up if someone wanted pages from those issues, but everyone who saw them felt bad about breaking them up and tried to figure a way to buy them intact.

There were 5 complete issues of Camelot 3000 prelims, and about 100 more loose camelot 3000 pages. He also brought 40-50 larger cover prelims (animal man, invisibles, dredd, 2000ad) and sold almost 20 of them. People were clamoring for this stuff. So much great stuff that had never been offered for sale before.

Brian finished so many great sketches but I only listed a few pics in my CAF gallery. I don't want to steal anyone's thunder so I will wait to see which other ones pop up on CAF this week before I post the shots.

Best,

Chris

Felix,

I did not get a chance to thank you for your help over the weekend. I would have peed my pants on more than one occasion if you did not stop and fill in for me while I used the facilities. Thanks for that and for running around helping me out when I needed it.

As for the Camelot 3000 complete issues....they didn't get broken up. The ones you saw loose were the ones that Brian had loose coming into the show. He was willing to break them up if someone wanted pages from those issues, but everyone who saw them felt bad about breaking them up and tried to figure a way to buy them intact.

There were 5 complete issues of Camelot 3000 prelims, and about 100 more loose camelot 3000 pages. He also brought 40-50 larger cover prelims (animal man, invisibles, dredd, 2000ad) and sold almost 20 of them. People were clamoring for this stuff. So much great stuff that had never been offered for sale before.

Brian finished so many great sketches but I only listed a few pics in my CAF gallery. I don't want to steal anyone's thunder so I will wait to see which other ones pop up on CAF this week before I post the shots.

Best,

Chris

Brian must have made some niiiice money this weekend :)

I'd like to help him make some more! hm

I am rooting for you.

C

Great pieces Felix, Congrats!

I was sorry we didn't cross paths over the weekend. The show was crazy and went by in a blur. I was asking around, but never found you. I had something special in my portfolio for you. I'll send you an email about in a few.

Great pieces Felix, Congrats!

I was sorry we didn't cross paths over the weekend. The show was crazy and went by in a blur. I was asking around, but never found you. I had something special in my portfolio for you. I'll send you an email about in a few.

a brian rolland judge dread :wishluck:

I am rooting for you.

C

Thanks, Chris. :hi:

Good seeing you at dinner (was that really your & Joseph's first Korean BBQ??) and at the show - wish I had had more time to hang out with you and other Forumites that I only saw fairly briefly...the weekend was a chaotic blur! :insane:

I am rooting for you.

C

Thanks, Chris. :hi:

Good seeing you at dinner (was that really your & Joseph's first Korean BBQ??) and at the show - wish I had had more time to hang out with you and other Forumites that I only saw fairly briefly...the weekend was a chaotic blur! :insane:

Yes it was the first time I ever ate that type of food...it was quite good.

And I found a great side effect of eating at those places...Your clothes smell like Korean BBQ for the rest of the weekend. (thumbs u

C

Great pickups as always, Felix! Guess I'll just piggyback here to mention that I started posting my small NYCC sketches to my CAF:

...starting with three Batmen!

The highlight of the NYCC for me was seeing folks from the boards, putting faces to names, and even meeting a few new friends. (And of course spending a few minutes apiece with some of my favorite artists in the biz.) Friday dinner was great and truly goes to show that the community of OA collectors is one of the best treasures of being in the hobby. For every horror story, there's a like minded collector worth knowing. (Well, okay, not for EVERY horror story)

Still have a few more to scan and post but will get to them in the next few days. Started off with Bolland, Golden, and JG Jones.

whatcha hoping to pick up?

Well, I don't want to jinx my chances, so I'll just say for now that it's my favorite thing that Bolland has ever done. hm

I also have a couple of other nice additions to my collection (not Bolland) that I purchased the week of the NYCC (but not at the show) that I'll be posting in the next 10 days or so after they arrive. :wishluck:

X-Force hm

:sick:

Brian forgot to mention that the picture he took of me was a joke!! doh!

Don't hide from your feelings!

liefeld_cap.jpglolcats-funny-picture-baby-i-love-you.jpg