• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can you add scans yourself for books ?

12 posts in this topic

120KB or less.

I really would like to see this limit upped to somewhere around 200, 240. I have to degrade my scans and they come out a little fuzzy in order to meet this limit with a trade off of seeing the book in larger detail.

As much as the adjustment to larger files sizes, I would like to see the program allow larger scans adjusted down to 120k automatically when uploaded. I say this strictly as a lazy person who won't bother to resize my photos.

instead of adjusting the resolution I resize the image down ( I use 700 pixels high for all of my pics) and I think they display well without being too small.

That is what I meant. But my scanner must be doing too much dpi-wise, because even at 640x400, it's well over the imposed memory limit. So I resize it and then save it at a degraded percentage (usually around 55%) in order to get just under the limit.

120KB or less.

I really would like to see this limit upped to somewhere around 200, 240. I have to degrade my scans and they come out a little fuzzy in order to meet this limit with a trade off of seeing the book in larger detail.

As much as the adjustment to larger files sizes, I would like to see the program allow larger scans adjusted down to 120k automatically when uploaded. I say this strictly as a lazy person who won't bother to resize my photos.

That is what I love about Photobucket. I put in my original scans untouched and it resizes it automatically for me without the look of nasty compression. However, Photobucket doesn't have quite as small a limit as the Registry does.

120KB or less.

I'd like to see the limit upped to 200-220kb as well ... I currently resize my scans to a width of 550px, and save them as close to the 120kb file limit as possible. Which usually means a JPG compression ratio of 50% or less - depending on the complexity of the image. Not too happy with that - going from a 70-60% JPG to a 50% JPG makes a noticeable difference in image quality.

Let me show you what I mean ...

Here's a scan, resized to a width of 550px, saved as a 70% JPG which results in a filesize of 216kb:

filesize_example1.jpg

Here's the same scan, resized to a width of 550px, saved as a 40% JPG which results in a filesize of 107kb:

filesize_example2.jpg

If you open the two images in tabs, and compare them side-by-side, the difference is rather noticeable.

I got fed up of constantly resizing and saving in different file sizes to find a happy medium. It's quick to do as I use Adobe CS2, but I was ending up with multiple copies of the same image and forgetting which was which doh!